Benq W6000 $999 at Fry's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
This week the Benq W6000 is getting closed out at $999. Last week they had the Epson 8350 for $999.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 120
So which one is a better buy: 8350 or W6000 for $999? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think most would say the w6000 which is DLP, but it comes down to if you are a DLP fan or a LCD fan. DLP tend to have more pop to the picture and I think the w6000 is also brighter. But there are some people who see rainbows and get headaches from DLP.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The W6000 has a much sharper image than the 8350. I demoed the the 2 projectors side by side at Frys 5 months ago and the Benq had a superior image by far.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Liked: 12
Great deal, but none at my nearest stores in Georgia. Kind of expensive to go to Dallas, LV, or LA to pick one up.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

So which one is a better buy: 8350 or W6000 for $999? Thanks.

My thoughts... I have used both in my room:

Epson 8350
  • Quieter
  • More flexible mounting
  • Longer lamp life
  • Much better warranty
BenQ W6000
  • Brighter (much in best mode)
  • Sharper
  • Less color uniformity issues
  • No pixel alignment issues
I prefer the features of the Epson however in most every case I'd take the BenQ because of the Epson's color uniformity and or pixel alignment issues (normal not the exception).
Old 03-22-2012, 09:49 PM

Liked: 16
And BenQ has better blacks/contrast.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Liked: 10
In regards to this deal, which is now over, the sales dudes at Fry's told me the W6000 was NOT discontinued or being cleared out. At least that's what their system was telling them. They gave me a rain check good for 1 month at the $999 price. I'll keep checking to see if they get any stock in, but I expect it is pretty doubtful. Interestingly though, their website now says the W6000 is "available for backorder". So it does sounds like Fry's is still trying to obtain more stock, and the projector is not yet discontinued after all. We'll see, could just be glitches in the system and they'll never get any more, who knows.

I'm sure while I wait around for Fry's to get never get one in, I'll miss out on getting one for $1399 on Projector People and I'll never get one.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks View Post

In regards to this deal, which is now over, the sales dudes at Fry's told me the W6000 was NOT discontinued or being cleared out. At least that's what their system was telling them. They gave me a rain check good for 1 month at the $999 price. I'll keep checking to see if they get any stock in, but I expect it is pretty doubtful.

Obviously, the projector has been discontinued and been replaced with the W7000. I grabbed one at the Fishers, IN Fry's and it appears to be a winner. Very little lens chromatic aberration and nicely focusses over the entire image. I have only spent an hour or so with it but so far so good... appears as nice or better than the others I have seen. Now I just need to decide if I want to keep it...

I did notice they had their typical $1499 price back up so that says not discontinued in their book... no red price tag. If you ask they should be able to transfer one in from another store. I know that has been an option in the past.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Obviously, the projector has been discontinued and been replaced with the W7000. I grabbed one at the Fishers, IN Fry's and it appears to be a winner. Very little lens chromatic aberration and nicely focusses over the entire image. I have only spent an hour or so with it but so far so good... appears as nice or better than the others I have seen. Now I just need to decide if I want to keep it...

I did notice they had their typical $1499 price back up so that says not discontinued in their book... no red price tag. If you ask they should be able to transfer one in from another store. I know that has been an option in the past.

Man, when did you get (apparently the last one) at the Fisher's Fry's? I saw the deal on 3/16 and it said they didn't have any stock on the online inventory. Went on 3/18 in person and got the raincheck.

I'll look into seeing if they can redirect one if there's any left anywhere else. I know a few stores had it at some point last week.

And how many W6000's do you need anyways? I've seen you posting in the official thread for it, so it's not your first! If you decide not to keep it, please PM me. Although I know how much you paid for it.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 PM

Does anyone have a screenshot or printout of the frys page when it was $999?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I doubt they would issue a rain check more than a week after the sale. Also, I think they are virtually out-of-stock chain wide and since the projector has been discontinued I wouldn't expect them to receive any going forward. Unless they made a special purchase of close-out stock or whatnot.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:

I doubt they would issue a rain check more than a week after the sale. Also, I think they are virtually out-of-stock chain wide and since the projector has been discontinued I wouldn't expect them to receive any going forward. Unless they made a special purchase of close-out stock or whatnot.

They have a demo unit that I'm going to try and haggle for. If I can show them that it last sold for $999 (they had one in stock but I wasn't able to get it then) then that just lowers the starting haggling price.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

They have a demo unit that I'm going to try and haggle for. If I can show them that it last sold for $999 (they had one in stock but I wasn't able to get it then) then that just lowers the starting haggling price.

From my experience Fry's isn't good at all for close-out merchandise. Typically, it's rather high priced (far higher than the vendor supported sale prices) and comes down very slowly. Surprisingly Best Best often kicks their butt with close-out pricing. Regarding projector demos if it's anything like the Fishers store I would be leery. Most of them have been run to death with multiple replacement lamps.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:

From my experience Fry's isn't good at all for close-out merchandise. Typically, it's rather high priced (far higher than the vendor supported sale prices) and comes down very slowly. Surprisingly Best Best often kicks their butt with close-out pricing. Regarding projector demos if it's anything like the Fishers store I would be leery. Most of them have been run to death with multiple replacement lamps.

It's quite possible that it has been run to death, but I would doubt it. They ALWAYS have the Epson models running when I'm in there. They guy didn't even know how to turn the BenQ on. I'd guess it doesn't get used much so I'm hoping for a good deal, especially if the bulb has been used.

I'm not that experienced with projectors, but what else could be damaged or worn out other than the bulb? I've had my little NEC business projector since 2001 and it runs just fine. I know color wheels can break but is there anything else that would go wrong?