Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-16-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am staying in Manhattan and I am wondering where to go to see and purchase a projector. As I am mainly interested in LED tech I would need a dealer exhibiting high end stuff and brands.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
garbage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
BH Photo?
post #3 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a huge believer that projectors should be purchased online and speakers in person. Projector specs, pics and reviews cover everything I need to know to make a decision, and online shopping is generally less expensive and more convenient, and provides more options.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Whiting View Post

I am a huge believer that projectors should be purchased online and speakers in person. Projector specs, pics and reviews cover everything I need to know to make a decision, and online shopping is generally less expensive and more convenient, and provides more options.

You're joking right? How can a person who's never seen a DLP, LCOS, or LCD projector know how each look. They each have a very unique look to them. That's talking about just the panels themselves. Then you need to consider things like dynamic irises (or how noticeable it is to you), actual black level performance, frame interpolation systems if they interest you, 3D performance, color accuracy ect. and the list goes on. There are just as many if not more things to demo on a projection system then comparing speakers.

Specs, as of late, are often very misleading. Some projectors within the last few years have been claiming numbers like 100000:1 or even 330000:1 for contrast when in reality they are closer to 25000:1. Brightness claims have been know to be off. 3D performance is another area where the specs lie. The list goes on there as well. As far as "pictures" are concerned what are you referencing? Pictures of screen shots taken with digital cameras? The only thing really useful with those pictures is color accuracy if the photographer knows what they are doing. Many times people use inadequate cameras and lenses and have settings way off which don't give the picture any validity at all. As far as reviews go many times they can be very vague. ie "the image looks superb" or "black levels are good" ect. That does very little to help make a decision. Almost all current projectors throw a superb image and have decent black levels. The same could be said about speaker reviews. Almost always do you read a speaker review and they say the speaker sounds absolutely fantastic. But what does that mean to the reader? Projectors are just as unique and different as speakers and both should be viewed/listened to in person before making a decision. AVScience does it right, as they let the buyer view a projector before making a decision on buying it. You get a few hours to play around and if you don't like it you aren't obligated to purchase it. This helps many as they aren't in a major metropolitan area and have access to all the projectors discussed here.
Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page