$1,499 for a Mitsubishi 1080p DLP 3-D projector (HC7800D) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw this deal in my Groupon email today. Looks like it's a few hundred cheaper than average. Also available as a bundle with a 100" screen and mount for $1799.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-mitsubishi-dlp-3-d-projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can anyone weigh in on this unit with the latest firmware. I was planning to get a Benq W7000, but since it's going in a dedicated, light-controlled room, I am tempted to save the $500 to put towards the sound system. My wife gave me a budget limit . . .

All the reviews seem positive including Art's, but during my trolling this site over the past 6 months, I've notice lots of little jabs at this unit - mainly aimed at firmware related quirks and defects. I think Coderguy even called the unit a disappointment at one point? Going off memory not trying to put words in anyone's mouth. I think kraine had a harsh review too, but with the pre-production unit?

What's the final verdict with the latest firmware?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post

Can anyone weigh in on this unit with the latest firmware. I was planning to get a Benq W7000, but since it's going in a dedicated, light-controlled room, I am tempted to save the $500 to put towards the sound system. My wife gave me a budget limit . . .
All the reviews seem positive including Art's, but during my trolling this site over the past 6 months, I've notice lots of little jabs at this unit - mainly aimed at firmware related quirks and defects. I think Coderguy even called the unit a disappointment at one point? Going off memory not trying to put words in anyone's mouth. I think kraine had a harsh review too, but with the pre-production unit?
What's the final verdict with the latest firmware?

I forgot to mention 106" 1.0 gain screen. I care about 3D, but 2D will be 75% of the usaage.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't have experience with either. I came very close to pulling the trigger on this yesterday though. I only found a fairly small owner's thread here on AVS, and reviews were pretty mixed. Plus almost all the relevant information was about the older revision. It looks like this one comes with newer glasses than what everyone was complaining about.

One concern for me is the limited lens shift and weird vertical offset. Better make sure to measure your room very carefully before you commit. Mitsubishi's website has a calculator, but it's somewhat unintuitive. Unfortunately I just don't think it will work for my layout, so I'm going to hold off for a great deal on the W7000.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the link to the calculator, it was tough to use at first, but once I figured it out it was quicker than doing all the calculations by hand. The vertical offset is annoying, but I have enough height for the 106" screen. I think I'm going to pull the trigger today. Which is good news to you, cause knowing my luck there will be a killer sale on the Benq tomorrow tongue.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Cool! Good luck, let us know what you think. At least Groupon seems to have a good return policy with free shipping.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Costco has this for $1499 and includes 2 pair of glasses. Just pulled the trigger, too good of a deal not to try it out...and Costco has a great return policy. I'll be coming from a Panasonic PT-AX200U...

Also, Costco site says it's only valid until 12/16/2012.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 PM

The projector came in and so far, so good. I dont have it mounted in its final location yet. Projected onto a wall, I was impressed with 2D picture quality at about 90 inches with moderate ambient light. Out of the box the colors were very natural looking and skin tones looked great. The image was clear and sharp. I can only compare it to my cousin's Sony Bravia projector since I dont have experience with anything else. Without having them side by side I would have to say the picture quality was at least equal granted at a smaller screen size. I havent watched any true 3D, but the 2D-3D conversion showed that the lamp needed to be in standard mode (not eco) to handle the lighting. Once its in the light controlled room, I start testing her a little harder and give you my thoughts. It is looking to be a pretty good value at 1499.
Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Tags
Optoma Kt4348 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page