Wal-Mart Blu-Ray Deals - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
FloridaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These will not all be in your local store. But you can order online and get free shipping on any item; just have them ship it to your local store for free and they will e-mail you when it arrives. Also, expect many titles to go lower on black Friday, we got some great Blu-Rays last year at Wal-Mart for $5 each.

214 Blu-Rays for $10 or less
http://www.walmart.com/browse/Blu-ra...Under10Dollars
FloridaDude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
FloridaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also wanted to mention we've been getting some great deals on Blu-Rays at our local BlockBuster store; they are pre-viewed but they don't have a scratch on them, and you can get many newer titles 5 for $20. We just pull the original sleeve out of their cases and drop them in new Blu-Ray cases purchased on E-bay, so you get the original disc with 30 day warranty, original sleeve and a new Blu-Ray case for less than five bucks. I got most of my Blu-Ray library this way for a fraction of full retail.
FloridaDude is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
omegaslast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Blu rays are ridiculously scratch resistant so its no surprise to see used copies holding up well.

Want to measure your subwoofers? check out my dummies guide for a step by step process to Room EQ wizard
http://polaraudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/calibration.html
omegaslast is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 79
FloridaDude, Thanks for the great tip. I have bought over 60 of those $4 Blockbuster Blu Rays in the past couple of months. I wondered how to get rid of those big cases. I just picked up a 100 new cases for 38 cents each.

Lowell


The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
LowellG is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
FloridaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Blu rays are ridiculously scratch resistant so its no surprise to see used copies holding up well.

Exactly, plus the fact that they don't get rented as much as the regular DVD's. I think most consumers still don't care about Blu-Ray PQ because they don't have larger screen TV's, but personally I love the PQ.
FloridaDude is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
FloridaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

FloridaDude, Thanks for the great tip. I have bought over 60 of those $4 Blockbuster Blu Rays in the past couple of months. I wondered how to get rid of those big cases. I just picked up a 100 new cases for 38 cents each.

My pleasure! I think we have bought about 40 or 50 already from BlockBuster for $4 each, it's a great deal! And most people don't realize the original cover art inside the the big BB cases slides right out. I'm always getting great deals at BlockBuster; I walked in there a couple weeks ago and snagged a BRAND NEW sealed copy of Avatar Extended Collector's Edition, 3 disc boxed set - for only $12.99!
FloridaDude is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 11-22-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
deltasun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

FloridaDude, Thanks for the great tip. I have bought over 60 of those $4 Blockbuster Blu Rays in the past couple of months. I wondered how to get rid of those big cases. I just picked up a 100 new cases for 38 cents each.

I usually just give them back to BBV.

Btw, they're also having 3/$25 on their new titles. Some good deals to be had.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
deltasun is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cobolisdead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Prattville, AL
Posts: 1,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is the 3 for $25 any new blu-ray or is their a price qualification?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
cobolisdead is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
deltasun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

Is the 3 for $25 any new blu-ray or is their a price qualification?

Only for new titles $12.99 or lower.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
deltasun is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 11-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Member
 
Jeffg8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Picked up Platoon and Terminator for $5. I remember paying $120 for the laserdisc Platoon set. What a terrible hobby this has been(LOL), should have just waited until now to start.
Jeffg8 is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Ralph1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmond, Ok.
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post

My pleasure! I think we have bought about 40 or 50 already from BlockBuster for $4 each, it's a great deal! And most people don't realize the original cover art inside the the big BB cases slides right out. I'm always getting great deals at BlockBuster; I walked in there a couple weeks ago and snagged a BRAND NEW sealed copy of Avatar Extended Collector's Edition, 3 disc boxed set - for only $12.99!

I also snaggged a copy of the Extended Avatar for 12.99.

Visit my home page for ideas on your HT project.
Ralph1950 is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 11-29-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
FloridaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice! That is a great set of discs, and I loved the extended cut of the movie; especially the entirely different opening, and also that scene with them hunting the buffalo creatures on horseback, very cool.

I'm still snapping up some left-over blu-ray deals at Wal-Mart this week; got "The Island" for $10, and "The Mummy; Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" for $5 bucks with free shipping on both!
FloridaDude is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
jimjimmyjones85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg8 View Post

Picked up Platoon and Terminator for $5. I remember paying $120 for the laserdisc Platoon set. What a terrible hobby this has been(LOL), should have just waited until now to start.

I remember those days. The $40 standard for new releases....
jimjimmyjones85 is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
FloridaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Honestly, I think there is only one Blu-Ray that I paid full retail for when it came out, and that was Transformers 3. All my other Blu-Rays have been purchased at heavy discounts, either special deals online from $5-$10, or as pre-viewed items from Block-Buster. For the most part, I refuse to pay more than $10 for them now.

At this point, I have a large library of DVD's that are in perfect condition, and I never watch them because I'm hooked on Blu-Ray PQ. Now I'm wondering about the quickest way to get rid of them, maybe on Ebay as a bulk group?
FloridaDude is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 11-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Senior Member
 
dla26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I donated most of mine, mostly to the local library. The difference between the $ you get from sales vs. the tax deduction you get if you donate is not significant enough to justify the additional legwork of selling - needing to collect, ship, answer questions, etc. - not to mention the idea that you can donate to a good cause.
dla26 is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 11-30-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post

I donated most of mine, mostly to the local library. The difference between the $ you get from sales vs. the tax deduction you get if you donate is not significant enough to justify the additional legwork of selling - needing to collect, ship, answer questions, etc. - not to mention the idea that you can donate to a good cause.

Exactly right.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 AM
Newbie
 
MTAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the tips on hitting Blockbuster for BD deals. I hit our local store yesterday (Plant City FL) and snagged the 3-disc BD 2009 Star Trek, unopened still sealed for $10 Also snagged 3 previously viewed BD movies for my wife for Christmas at their "3 for $20" table. Merry Christmas everyone!
MTAS is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post

These will not all be in your local store. But you can order online and get free shipping on any item; just have them ship it to your local store for free and they will e-mail you when it arrives. Also, expect many titles to go lower on black Friday, we got some great Blu-Rays last year at Wal-Mart for $5 each.

214 Blu-Rays for $10 or less
http://www.walmart.com/browse/Blu-ra...Under10Dollars

I was in the process of ordering two movies when I saw at the last moment I would have had to pay for shipping AND it was listed as only being able to ship rather than pickup at the store. I guess store pickup would have been the free shipping part. Oh well, so much for impulse buying!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
FloridaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I was in the process of ordering two movies when I saw at the last moment I would have had to pay for shipping AND it was listed as only being able to ship rather than pickup at the store. I guess store pickup would have been the free shipping part. Oh well, so much for impulse buying!

Yep, that's why I said "just have them ship it to your local store for free and they will e-mail you when it arrives." The only downside is Wal-Mart is slow to ship stuff out lately. I am finding they can take up to a week to ship after you buy, so keep that in mind because it's not a fast process in my experience. That might improve after the Christmas buying season, I don't know.
FloridaDude is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
FloridaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAS View Post

Thanks everyone for the tips on hitting Blockbuster for BD deals. I hit our local store yesterday (Plant City FL) and snagged the 3-disc BD 2009 Star Trek, unopened still sealed for $10 Also snagged 3 previously viewed BD movies for my wife for Christmas at their "3 for $20" table. Merry Christmas everyone!

The 3 for $20 is not too bad, but keep an eye on it because they will offer a lot of the same BD's at 5 for $20 which is an absolutely unbeatable deal in my experience. I have bought most of my BD's when they have the 5 for $20 sales! Merry Christmas to you as well.
FloridaDude is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I picked up GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra for $10 and Legend for $15. They have a huge pile of $8-$10 Blu-Ray deals that vary by store but they are mostly older titles that most people wouldn't buy off hand but that enthusiast cinemaphiles like us would add to our collections.
LexInVA is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 12-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Newbie
 
MTAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post

The 3 for $20 is not too bad, but keep an eye on it because they will offer a lot of the same BD's at 5 for $20 which is an absolutely unbeatable deal in my experience. I have bought most of my BD's when they have the 5 for $20 sales! Merry Christmas to you as well.

Thanks for the tip. That particular Block Buster is right on my way home so it's convenient to stop by and browse a few times a week. I also picked up some empty BD cases on eBay for them, and the actual BD I got from BB were in DVD cases, but had the actual BD cover art so it was easy to slide it into the new BD case
MTAS is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
FloridaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My pleasure. I was in BB a few days ago, if you are looking for NEW Blu-Rays for Christmas gifts, they still have a good selection right now on sale 3 for $24.99.

The way our Blockbuster handles PRE-VIEWED Blu-Rays is;
the new titles first some out as a rental, then after a few weeks they will start putting the rentals out on the "Level 1" discount racks for about $12.99 - $14.99.

After a few more weeks they get bumped down to "Level 2" discount for about $9.99.

Eventually they all get bumped down to the "Level 3" discount table; where they will usually have a super sale on them about every 30-60 days; this is what we like to wait for; FIVE for $20, it's the best Blu-Ray deal going in my experience!
FloridaDude is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 AM
GPM
Senior Member
 
GPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post

Also wanted to mention we've been getting some great deals on Blu-Rays at our local BlockBuster store; they are pre-viewed but they don't have a scratch on them, and you can get many newer titles 5 for $20. We just pull the original sleeve out of their cases and drop them in new Blu-Ray cases purchased on E-bay, so you get the original disc with 30 day warranty, original sleeve and a new Blu-Ray case for less than five bucks. I got most of my Blu-Ray library this way for a fraction of full retail.

Interesting! I use to buy quite a few first run DVDs in original cases for $5 from BB, Movie Stop, but all of the stores in the Atlanta metro areas I frequent closed one by one quite awhile back, so assumed they were all gone.

Anyway, happened by one yesterday that had a one day 3/$15 or 5/$25 and since I bought [3] BDs and [6] DVDs it had to be rung up as [3] separate 3/$15 specials. Not sure the reasoning behind this since both specials = $5/ea., so might as well just ring up the lot all at once.

Since I have quite a few new holiday purchases I hadn't cataloged yet; I asked if I could swap out any I might already have and was told it could be worked out. Unfortunately, I did already have one of them at the same $5 price, but now I'm told there is no swapping out, only replacement of defective titles. Apparently they adhere to the other BB's inflexible/crappy customer service practices relative to their big box' competitors my friends and me mostly purchase from due to it, so Caveat Emptor [buyer beware].

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
GPM is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Disc Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off