Wal-Mart Blu-Ray Deals - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These will not all be in your local store. But you can order online and get free shipping on any item; just have them ship it to your local store for free and they will e-mail you when it arrives. Also, expect many titles to go lower on black Friday, we got some great Blu-Rays last year at Wal-Mart for $5 each.

214 Blu-Rays for $10 or less
http://www.walmart.com/browse/Blu-ra...Under10Dollars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also wanted to mention we've been getting some great deals on Blu-Rays at our local BlockBuster store; they are pre-viewed but they don't have a scratch on them, and you can get many newer titles 5 for $20. We just pull the original sleeve out of their cases and drop them in new Blu-Ray cases purchased on E-bay, so you get the original disc with 30 day warranty, original sleeve and a new Blu-Ray case for less than five bucks. I got most of my Blu-Ray library this way for a fraction of full retail.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Blu rays are ridiculously scratch resistant so its no surprise to see used copies holding up well.

Want to measure your subwoofers? check out my dummies guide for a step by step process to Room EQ wizard
http://polaraudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/calibration.html
post #4 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 79
FloridaDude, Thanks for the great tip. I have bought over 60 of those $4 Blockbuster Blu Rays in the past couple of months. I wondered how to get rid of those big cases. I just picked up a 100 new cases for 38 cents each.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #5 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Blu rays are ridiculously scratch resistant so its no surprise to see used copies holding up well.

Exactly, plus the fact that they don't get rented as much as the regular DVD's. I think most consumers still don't care about Blu-Ray PQ because they don't have larger screen TV's, but personally I love the PQ.
post #6 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

FloridaDude, Thanks for the great tip. I have bought over 60 of those $4 Blockbuster Blu Rays in the past couple of months. I wondered how to get rid of those big cases. I just picked up a 100 new cases for 38 cents each.

My pleasure! I think we have bought about 40 or 50 already from BlockBuster for $4 each, it's a great deal! And most people don't realize the original cover art inside the the big BB cases slides right out. I'm always getting great deals at BlockBuster; I walked in there a couple weeks ago and snagged a BRAND NEW sealed copy of Avatar Extended Collector's Edition, 3 disc boxed set - for only $12.99!
post #7 of 24 Old 11-22-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I usually just give them back to BBV.

Btw, they're also having 3/$25 on their new titles. Some good deals to be had.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #8 of 24 Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is the 3 for $25 any new blu-ray or is their a price qualification?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #9 of 24 Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

Is the 3 for $25 any new blu-ray or is their a price qualification?

Only for new titles $12.99 or lower.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #10 of 24 Old 11-26-2011, 06:57 PM

Liked: 14
Picked up Platoon and Terminator for $5. I remember paying $120 for the laserdisc Platoon set. What a terrible hobby this has been(LOL), should have just waited until now to start.
post #11 of 24 Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post

My pleasure! I think we have bought about 40 or 50 already from BlockBuster for $4 each, it's a great deal! And most people don't realize the original cover art inside the the big BB cases slides right out. I'm always getting great deals at BlockBuster; I walked in there a couple weeks ago and snagged a BRAND NEW sealed copy of Avatar Extended Collector's Edition, 3 disc boxed set - for only $12.99!

I also snaggged a copy of the Extended Avatar for 12.99.

Visit my home page for ideas on your HT project.
post #12 of 24 Old 11-29-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nice! That is a great set of discs, and I loved the extended cut of the movie; especially the entirely different opening, and also that scene with them hunting the buffalo creatures on horseback, very cool.

I'm still snapping up some left-over blu-ray deals at Wal-Mart this week; got "The Island" for $10, and "The Mummy; Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" for $5 bucks with free shipping on both!
post #13 of 24 Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg8 View Post

Picked up Platoon and Terminator for $5. I remember paying $120 for the laserdisc Platoon set. What a terrible hobby this has been(LOL), should have just waited until now to start.

I remember those days. The $40 standard for new releases....
post #14 of 24 Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Honestly, I think there is only one Blu-Ray that I paid full retail for when it came out, and that was Transformers 3. All my other Blu-Rays have been purchased at heavy discounts, either special deals online from $5-$10, or as pre-viewed items from Block-Buster. For the most part, I refuse to pay more than $10 for them now.

At this point, I have a large library of DVD's that are in perfect condition, and I never watch them because I'm hooked on Blu-Ray PQ. Now I'm wondering about the quickest way to get rid of them, maybe on Ebay as a bulk group?
post #15 of 24 Old 11-30-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I donated most of mine, mostly to the local library. The difference between the $ you get from sales vs. the tax deduction you get if you donate is not significant enough to justify the additional legwork of selling - needing to collect, ship, answer questions, etc. - not to mention the idea that you can donate to a good cause.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-30-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post

I donated most of mine, mostly to the local library. The difference between the $ you get from sales vs. the tax deduction you get if you donate is not significant enough to justify the additional legwork of selling - needing to collect, ship, answer questions, etc. - not to mention the idea that you can donate to a good cause.

Exactly right.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #17 of 24 Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 AM

Thanks everyone for the tips on hitting Blockbuster for BD deals. I hit our local store yesterday (Plant City FL) and snagged the 3-disc BD 2009 Star Trek, unopened still sealed for $10 Also snagged 3 previously viewed BD movies for my wife for Christmas at their "3 for $20" table. Merry Christmas everyone!
post #18 of 24 Old 12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

These will not all be in your local store. But you can order online and get free shipping on any item; just have them ship it to your local store for free and they will e-mail you when it arrives. Also, expect many titles to go lower on black Friday, we got some great Blu-Rays last year at Wal-Mart for $5 each.

214 Blu-Rays for $10 or less
http://www.walmart.com/browse/Blu-ra...Under10Dollars

I was in the process of ordering two movies when I saw at the last moment I would have had to pay for shipping AND it was listed as only being able to ship rather than pickup at the store. I guess store pickup would have been the free shipping part. Oh well, so much for impulse buying!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #19 of 24 Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I was in the process of ordering two movies when I saw at the last moment I would have had to pay for shipping AND it was listed as only being able to ship rather than pickup at the store. I guess store pickup would have been the free shipping part. Oh well, so much for impulse buying!

Yep, that's why I said "just have them ship it to your local store for free and they will e-mail you when it arrives." The only downside is Wal-Mart is slow to ship stuff out lately. I am finding they can take up to a week to ship after you buy, so keep that in mind because it's not a fast process in my experience. That might improve after the Christmas buying season, I don't know.
post #20 of 24 Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAS View Post

Thanks everyone for the tips on hitting Blockbuster for BD deals. I hit our local store yesterday (Plant City FL) and snagged the 3-disc BD 2009 Star Trek, unopened still sealed for $10 Also snagged 3 previously viewed BD movies for my wife for Christmas at their "3 for $20" table. Merry Christmas everyone!

The 3 for $20 is not too bad, but keep an eye on it because they will offer a lot of the same BD's at 5 for $20 which is an absolutely unbeatable deal in my experience. I have bought most of my BD's when they have the 5 for $20 sales! Merry Christmas to you as well.
post #21 of 24 Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I picked up GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra for $10 and Legend for $15. They have a huge pile of $8-$10 Blu-Ray deals that vary by store but they are mostly older titles that most people wouldn't buy off hand but that enthusiast cinemaphiles like us would add to our collections.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:

The 3 for $20 is not too bad, but keep an eye on it because they will offer a lot of the same BD's at 5 for $20 which is an absolutely unbeatable deal in my experience. I have bought most of my BD's when they have the 5 for $20 sales! Merry Christmas to you as well.

Thanks for the tip. That particular Block Buster is right on my way home so it's convenient to stop by and browse a few times a week. I also picked up some empty BD cases on eBay for them, and the actual BD I got from BB were in DVD cases, but had the actual BD cover art so it was easy to slide it into the new BD case
post #23 of 24 Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My pleasure. I was in BB a few days ago, if you are looking for NEW Blu-Rays for Christmas gifts, they still have a good selection right now on sale 3 for $24.99.

The way our Blockbuster handles PRE-VIEWED Blu-Rays is;
the new titles first some out as a rental, then after a few weeks they will start putting the rentals out on the "Level 1" discount racks for about $12.99 - $14.99.

After a few more weeks they get bumped down to "Level 2" discount for about $9.99.

Eventually they all get bumped down to the "Level 3" discount table; where they will usually have a super sale on them about every 30-60 days; this is what we like to wait for; FIVE for $20, it's the best Blu-Ray deal going in my experience!
post #24 of 24 Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 AM
GPM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Also wanted to mention we've been getting some great deals on Blu-Rays at our local BlockBuster store; they are pre-viewed but they don't have a scratch on them, and you can get many newer titles 5 for $20. We just pull the original sleeve out of their cases and drop them in new Blu-Ray cases purchased on E-bay, so you get the original disc with 30 day warranty, original sleeve and a new Blu-Ray case for less than five bucks. I got most of my Blu-Ray library this way for a fraction of full retail.

Interesting! I use to buy quite a few first run DVDs in original cases for $5 from BB, Movie Stop, but all of the stores in the Atlanta metro areas I frequent closed one by one quite awhile back, so assumed they were all gone.

Anyway, happened by one yesterday that had a one day 3/$15 or 5/$25 and since I bought [3] BDs and [6] DVDs it had to be rung up as [3] separate 3/$15 specials. Not sure the reasoning behind this since both specials = $5/ea., so might as well just ring up the lot all at once.

Since I have quite a few new holiday purchases I hadn't cataloged yet; I asked if I could swap out any I might already have and was told it could be worked out. Unfortunately, I did already have one of them at the same $5 price, but now I'm told there is no swapping out, only replacement of defective titles. Apparently they adhere to the other BB's inflexible/crappy customer service practices relative to their big box' competitors my friends and me mostly purchase from due to it, so Caveat Emptor [buyer beware].

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Reply Blu-ray Disc Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page