Rise of the Planet of the Apes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
rjruby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nazareth, PA, USA
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
$19.99 on Frys.com
rjruby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Sounds good and I know I am being picky, but after Black Friday it's just hard to pay anything over $10 for a Blu Ray.

Lowell


The MARVELous Home Theater:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LowellG is online now  
post #3 of 20 Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cobolisdead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Prattville, AL
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Its a brand new one though. Where were you in 2007 when these things were $35?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
cobolisdead is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 12-12-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I was buying them for $12.50 when the BD HDDVD wars were going on. :-)

Lowell


The MARVELous Home Theater:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LowellG is online now  
post #5 of 20 Old 12-13-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Partyslammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is there a $5 off coupon for Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes at BestBuy online somewhere?
Partyslammer is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cobolisdead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Prattville, AL
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I was buying them for $12.50 when the BD HDDVD wars were going on. :-)

That is a lot of copies of The Last Sentinel then.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
cobolisdead is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 12-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Member
 
See The Light's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Best Buy has the 2-Disc Blu-ray for $14.99 in store from Dec. 25-31, 2011.

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
See The Light is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
rjruby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nazareth, PA, USA
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post

Best Buy has the 2-Disc Blu-ray for $14.99 in store from Dec. 25-31, 2011.

Frys.com and Amazon.com also have it for $14.99
rjruby is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eweiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Highland Village, TX
Posts: 7,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Sounds good and I know I am being picky, but after Black Friday it's just hard to pay anything over $10 for a Blu Ray.

Yep. $10 or $10.99 become a new price point.
eweiss is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 01-10-2012, 12:51 PM
 
audio/videoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$17.99 now at amazon and best buy; not quite as good as before, but still a notable discount.
audio/videoman is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vlad Theimpaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

$17.99 now at amazon and best buy; not quite as good as before, but still a notable discount.

In the case of Best Buy, trade in an unwanted DVD and get a $5 coupon that you can apply to bring the total down to $17.99+tax minus $5 coupon.

Vlad Theimpaler is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
rjruby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nazareth, PA, USA
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

In the case of Best Buy, trade in an unwanted DVD and get a $5 coupon that you can apply to bring the total down to $17.99+tax minus $5 coupon.

Is Best Buy the only retailer that deducts a discount after sales tax has been added based on the regular price?

Their add states that a $17.99 disc is $12.99 after the coupon is applied. That is really not true.

If so, I would be paying $.30 less is PA sales tax on the $12.99 price.
rjruby is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
javry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

Its a brand new one though. Where were you in 2007 when these things were $35?

you think that was bad - I was working in the UK during the wars and paid about 28 pounds for both BD and HDDVD. About $1.80 to a pound back then.
javry is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Senior Member
 
roknrol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
^^ I encountered that earlier this fall when using a coupon to buy a 3D blu. Classic Worst Buy move. Granted, as you stated, it was only 45 cents or so -- but really?!

For fun, read: http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydow...ess-gradually/ and also the follow-up article.

Best line for me: "Walk into one of the company’s retail locations or shop online. And try, really try, not to lose your temper." Yup. Can't do it.
roknrol is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
rjruby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nazareth, PA, USA
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

Is Best Buy the only retailer that deducts a discount after sales tax has been added based on the regular price?

Their add states that a $17.99 disc is $12.99 after the coupon is applied. That is really not true.

If so, I would be paying $.30 less is PA sales tax on the $12.99 price.

Just found this info on PA Dept of Revenue's website:

The regulations of the Department of Revenue specify that
amounts representing on-the-spot cash discounts,
employee discounts, volume discounts, store discounts,
such as buy one, get one free, wholesalers or trade discounts,
rebates and store or a manufacturer's coupon shall
establish a new purchase price
, if both the item and the
coupon are described on the invoice or cash register tape.


So it seems like Best Buy is in violation of PA's regulations.
rjruby is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM
 
audio/videoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

In the case of Best Buy, trade in an unwanted DVD and get a $5 coupon that you can apply to bring the total down to $17.99+tax minus $5 coupon.

There really aren't any dvd's I'd like to trade in, so it's still $17.99.
audio/videoman is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
 
audio/videoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Buy is indeed going out of business. They're done. They don't get that amazon exists. It's incredible. Some other wonderful feats of stupidity:

1. Let's post 300 pound morbidly obese prison guards at the door to sneer at you and snatch the receipt out of your hand to make sure you feel as uncomfortable as possible.

2. Let's force customers WITH a receipt to provide STATE ID!!!! to return a $4 blu ray. Yes, that makes things hassle free and really makes you want to return to their store.

3. Let's hire nasty employees who swear in front of children, who look like jabba the hut, or leave their hair unwashed for weeks on end, because this literally screams professionalism.

4. Let's make sure our managers complain about the store and their customers.

5. Let's make sure we hire managers who look like they've just been paroled with tattoos, shaved heads and tear drop tattoos under their eyes. This tells customers that we "hire the best" at best buy!

It's really sad: amazon can hire professionalism at 12 cents an hour overseas, while best buy is forced to pay $12 an hour for the bottom of the barrel because they are a physical retail store. It is simply impossible for best buy to compete under these circumstances.

Radio Shack is heading down the same path of obsolescence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol View Post

^^ I encountered that earlier this fall when using a coupon to buy a 3D blu. Classic Worst Buy move. Granted, as you stated, it was only 45 cents or so -- but really?!

For fun, read: http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydow...ess-gradually/ and also the follow-up article.

Best line for me: "Walk into one of the company's retail locations or shop online. And try, really try, not to lose your temper." Yup. Can't do it.

audio/videoman is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
javry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

Best Buy is indeed going out of business. They're done. They don't get that amazon exists. It's incredible. Some other wonderful feats of stupidity:

1. Let's post 300 pound morbidly obese prison guards at the door to sneer at you and snatch the receipt out of your hand to make sure you feel as uncomfortable as possible.

2. Let's force customers WITH a receipt to provide STATE ID!!!! to return a $4 blu ray. Yes, that makes things hassle free and really makes you want to return to their store.

3. Let's hire nasty employees who swear in front of children, who look like jabba the hut, or leave their hair unwashed for weeks on end, because this literally screams professionalism.

4. Let's make sure our managers complain about the store and their customers.

5. Let's make sure we hire managers who look like they've just been paroled with tattoos, shaved heads and tear drop tattoos under their eyes. This tells customers that we "hire the best" at best buy!

It's really sad: amazon can hire professionalism at 12 cents an hour overseas, while best buy is forced to pay $12 an hour for the bottom of the barrel because they are a physical retail store. It is simply impossible for best buy to compete under these circumstances.

Radio Shack is heading down the same path of obsolescence.

Oh I don't know - I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as all that. I happen to like the place - in a "some place to hang out on a rainy Saturday afternoon" kinda way.
javry is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
deltasun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

Best Buy is indeed going out of business. They're done. They don't get that amazon exists. It's incredible. Some other wonderful feats of stupidity:

1. Let's post 300 pound morbidly obese prison guards at the door to sneer at you and snatch the receipt out of your hand to make sure you feel as uncomfortable as possible.

2. Let's force customers WITH a receipt to provide STATE ID!!!! to return a $4 blu ray. Yes, that makes things hassle free and really makes you want to return to their store.

3. Let's hire nasty employees who swear in front of children, who look like jabba the hut, or leave their hair unwashed for weeks on end, because this literally screams professionalism.

4. Let's make sure our managers complain about the store and their customers.

5. Let's make sure we hire managers who look like they've just been paroled with tattoos, shaved heads and tear drop tattoos under their eyes. This tells customers that we "hire the best" at best buy!

It's really sad: amazon can hire professionalism at 12 cents an hour overseas, while best buy is forced to pay $12 an hour for the bottom of the barrel because they are a physical retail store. It is simply impossible for best buy to compete under these circumstances.

Radio Shack is heading down the same path of obsolescence.

What bizarro world do you live in? My BBYs are nothing like what you've described. I get decent deals and associates are willing to work with you within reason.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
deltasun is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 01-14-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LowellG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

What bizarro world do you live in? My BBYs are nothing like what you've described. I get decent deals and associates are willing to work with you within reason.

I would have to agree with that. While I tend to know more then most of the associates they are nothing like described, and I live in one of the 10 fattest cities in America.

Lowell


The MARVELous Home Theater:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LowellG is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Disc Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off