Amazon's Great, But I See No Reason To Preorder Blu Rays From Them, Am I Wrong ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

Now that Amazon is charging tax, the pre-order party is "dead" (not that there's anything wrong with that). I just hope that the B&M folks (I usually go to Best Buy) don't abandon their long-standing new-release pricing sales (not to mention stay in business).

I'm pretty sure the State of Texas sued, or threatened to sue, Amazon to collect back sales tax the State claimed was due. The resulting deal was Texas would waive the back sales tax, but Amazon agreed to collect sales tax from Texas customer begining 7/1/12.

On the plus side, Amazon UK doesn't charge any tax. Shipping yes, but no tax. I just pre-ordered the Universal Monster Collection, The Hitchcock Collection, Harvey and Lawrence of Arabia, all on blu-ray, for less money than what Amazon US wants just for the Hitchcock Collection. The Indiana Jones set was about the same price, but for some reason the Univeral UK releases are cheaper, much cheaper, than the american releases. And they are region free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 10-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've mostly stopped pre-ordering from Amazon as I've found that either they've raised their prices or Target/BB have reduced there's, and the latter two tend to throw in extra item that Amazon doesn't include. For the 3c extra (it seems Amazon charge x.96 for many titles so they are "cheaper") I'll usually pay it smile.gif I only wish Disney would let you pre-order the 3D versions of their titles so you can get the lithos. I don't understand why they only do the 2D only.
post #33 of 43 Old 10-21-2012, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Is it limited to certain states? I'm not seeing tax.

AFAIK, Amazon only charges tax on people who live in states that either:

1) Have a warehouse or physical facility therein (e.g. Washington state),

or:

2) Have strong-armed Amazon into collecting sales tax despite not having a physical facility (e.g. California and Texas).
post #34 of 43 Old 10-21-2012, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Amazon is now collecting tax here in Pennsylvania, so I will be shopping around more than I used to.

Nick

360 GT: Nicky D
post #35 of 43 Old 11-03-2012, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyD View Post

Amazon is now collecting tax here in Pennsylvania, so I will be shopping around more than I used to.

Same with me.

Since Amazon started collecting PA sales tax "the bloom is off the rose".

Most of my blu-ray purchases have switched from Amazon to my local Best Buy.
post #36 of 43 Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 87
If Amazon has a physical presence in your state, they charge tax as it is required by law. If they don't have a presence in your state they (or any other online seller) do not charge tax, as it is your responsibility to pay the tax on your tax return.
post #37 of 43 Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

If Amazon has a physical presence in your state, they charge tax as it is required by law. If they don't have a presence in your state they (or any other online seller) do not charge tax, as it is your responsibility to pay the tax on your tax return.

There are exceptions to this rule. Massachusetts, for one.

They are only now having discussions regarding this, even though they've had at least one major warehouse here for over a year. I'm sure we'll start seeing the tax at some point next year, but nothing yet.
post #38 of 43 Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

For the first time, I got screwed by pre-ordering from Amazon. I pre-ordered ST-TNG Season 2 BD and The Dark Knight Rises BD. I received them on Monday, the day before the official release. However, the price dropped on both of them on the day of release - $15 for ST-TNG and $7 for the Dark Knight Rises. I am currently fighting with Amazon to get them to honor their pre-order price guarantee. I have been a Prime member since its inception and have spent a lot of money purchasing from Amazon. One thing I have learned, however, is that I will no longer pre-order from them. I think I will start buying locally.

Preordered The Dark Knight Rises BD as well and they honored (as they always do at least in my case) the price drop and refunded me the difference. Also, they do this without intervention from me. I'm also a Prime Member.
post #39 of 43 Old 12-07-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

For the first time, I got screwed by pre-ordering from Amazon. I pre-ordered ST-TNG Season 2 BD and The Dark Knight Rises BD. I received them on Monday, the day before the official release. However, the price dropped on both of them on the day of release - $15 for ST-TNG and $7 for the Dark Knight Rises. I am currently fighting with Amazon to get them to honor their pre-order price guarantee. I have been a Prime member since its inception and have spent a lot of money purchasing from Amazon. One thing I have learned, however, is that I will no longer pre-order from them. I think I will start buying locally.

If you emailed, I would say try calling before you give up on them.   I've emailed once about a pricing error, and it was outsourced.  The person who replied had no idea why I would think $59 for 300' of weedwhacker string was an error.

My Dark Knight release day refund was also automatic, it took about 2 days, as stated.

post #40 of 43 Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Amazon has always done alright by me.

post #41 of 43 Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 PM

Edit-nevermind I was wrong. Sorry about that
post #42 of 43 Old 12-14-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Amazon is one of the best...
perfectly understandable why the box stores are shaking in their boots.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #43 of 43 Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM

The only way I'm not using Amazon is if the BM has an amazing deal. I do get Prime however because it's really convenient. Maybe without it Amazon isn't so good but this day and age I'm not going to a physical store if I don't have to, unless I really want something right away. That's around a half of my time gone. I better be saving more than a couple bucks for that, especially since I'm probably giving a good chunk of that back in gas. How much does your employer give you for a half hour of your time? I hope whatever you are saving is worth at least that much. I'm not going to a BM over 5 bucks for instance. I'll pay the extra to avoid the hassle thank you very much.
Reply Blu-ray Disc Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page