Best Buy's Upgrade and Save Program 4/22-5/12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Courtesy of Veritas at Blu-Ray.com. He created this terrific FAQ about the program:

BEST BUY UPGRADE AND SAVE PROGRAM

1) Trade in ANY DVD for a $5 credit toward purchase of any $9.99 Bluray in stock. Limit 5 per visit.
-- Per visit is most often interpreted as 5 per day per customer, but many people have just walked out and come back in immediately or later the same say with 5 more discs. Plenty of people have done far more than 5 at a single visit as long as the store allows the exception.
-- No stacking of coupons. A Single $5 discount coupon is allowed per Bluray (it may be the only rule I've never seen stretched)

2) Trade in DVDs do not have to be same title as Bluray

3) DVD must be a commercially produced discs (no burned copies)

4) No adult DVD that are specifically XXX content whether they are rated XXX or not.

5) Discs are supposed to have the original case and artwork and the discs are meant to be at least presentable -- the disc at least should look like it can be played. Many stores require the UPC to be intact. Some stores check things pretty closely (right disc, right case, right UPC, disc condition) and others just toss the case into the recycle bin without any screening (some people swear they traded in an empty case). [In reality discs in anything that look like regular case are often accepted by some stores including those is Blockbuster/3rd party cases with rental stickers and and nowhere near original artwork and UPC]

** Are HDDVD or HD-DVD combo packs eligible. This has been a YMMV issue and some places people have been given credit for both type discs, others only if it was a combo, and some stores refused to consider it at all for the trade-in. If you run into this issue either try a different store or call 1-800 BESTBUY and see if they can clarify the issue for you or your Store Manager.

6) Bluray -- unlike past sales so far indications are that are current and new release Bluray priced $9.99 or above will be included NOT INCLUDING Music/Concert Blurays. [Since the sale hasn't started yet, this is still a YMMV and a more restricted list may show up after the promo starts]

7) Each store in the past had there own logistics of how to work the program. Most stores would make you stop at the entry and have your used discs stamped/marked/taped.

-- Many stores had you bring the used DVD to the Service desk, check them out to make sure they met criteria and gave the customer a preprinted coupon(s) with a receipt attached to the coupon/barcode. Some stores gave the customer a Copied sheet of paper with the UPC bar code and attached receipt to 'activate' the sheet of paper. The coupon could them be exchanged at the regular register for the Bluray you were purchasing and the barcode automatically deducted the $5 at sale. This allowed you to take your coupons out of the store and purchase later. The expiration date on the official coupon was the last day of the sale (28 January 2012 for this sale). If you are given a coupon with a receipt attached do not detach them or your coupon may well be disallowed.

-- Some stores required you to bring/leave your DVD at the Customer Service desk, then bring your Blurays to the Service desk to complete the purchase. No coupons were given out so you had to exchange and purchase the discs the same day.

-- Some stores would allow you to trade your DVD for a coupon at the Service Desk, but each coupon was marked/Dated and you were told it was only valid for the date on the coupon and in that specific store. [Only had this happen once and I have no idea what would have happened if I took the coupon to a different store or brought it back to the same store later.]

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-20-2012, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looking forward to another round of decent titles for only $5, right now plan on getting for $5 a piece.

Conan the Barbarian (original)
Conan the Destroyer
Boondock Saints
Happy Gilmore
Hangover Part 2 (if still $10)

Source Code $6 (one with lenticular sleeve is $11 if your store still has them)
post #3 of 41 Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Courtesy of Veritas at Blu-Ray.com. He created this terrific FAQ about the program:

I'm sure veritas would tell you he used the FAQ that was created by a poster in the middle of the January Sale Thread -- eventually it was added to Post #1 to try stopping the same question from being asked 30 times. I know for a certainly that poster won't mind it being used here.

The common thing in each of the previous 3 sales has been the uneven implementation of the program at each individual store. It was finally dubbed the YMMV Upgrade Sale by many posters.

One other thing to add if you have Manufacturers Coupons available -- many BBY will allow you to use the Upgrade $5 coupon along with a MQ since the latter SHOULD be considered same as cash. Unfortunately some managers seem to circumvent BBY corporate policy on their use by insinuating that it is double dipping.

Of note there is a $4 Manufacturers Coupon for "My Week With Marilyn" inside The Descendents Bluray. This should decrease the price to around $11 by using both.

If anyone has unexpired $3 coupons for the 100th Anniversary Universal might be very helpful if your Best Buy has any in stock.

There is currently a $5 off MQ at coupons.com for Mad Men Seasons sets. I'm not sure what BB prices will be next week, but it may be worth checking out for a potential $10 off a season.
post #4 of 41 Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

-- Some stores required you to bring/leave your DVD at the Customer Service desk, then bring your Blurays to the Service desk to complete the purchase. No coupons were given out so you had to exchange and purchase the discs the same day.

I've done the trade-in deal 2 different times at my local BB store. The first time I got the coupons at the service desk, then went and got the Blu's I wanted, and purchased at the register.

The 2nd time I picked out the blu's I wanted first (in case they didn't have them in stock, I'd keep my DVD's), then went to the service desk for the coupon....but they were also able to ring up the sale, thus avoiding having to go to the regular register and stand in line again.

Moral? It's best to pick your Blu's first, then go to the service desk.
post #5 of 41 Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM
GPM

Liked: 14
FWIW: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Movies+P...at240800050005

GM

edit: Just noticed this lists a 5/8 - 6/11 sale, so anyone got the link/movie list for the current sale?

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #6 of 41 Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 AM

Liked: 10
Just got back from best buy. Don't worry about any list from the previous sale. I didn't have any problems. I was a bit worried because all the signage says "$5 towards a Blu Ray Movie" but I was able to use it on TV Shows as well. I didn't try to combine with other coupons but some of things were on sale this week and no issues there.

Taking it all to the service counter seemed much easier than waiting once for the coupons and again for the regular checkout.

Oh and the coupon they give you is only good 4/22/12 to 5/12/12. I would really like to take in all 50 or whatever I have of Star Trek TOS from their first release and just have $5 coupons forever.
post #7 of 41 Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Did the trade-in deal at BB today but still had to get the coupon one counter and pay at another, Why?

post #8 of 41 Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post

so anyone got the link/movie list for the current sale?

Just like the last sale, there is no specific list. Every bluray $9.99+ is eligible. I'm not even sure the Music Blu's are excluded this time, but I haven't seen the full language of the coupon this time yet.
post #9 of 41 Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM
GPM

Thanks, just got back from BB and their only restriction was [5] swaps at a time, but one guy came back in repeatedly, winding up with a fistful of coupons. I was told that picking BDs first, then doing the swap/checking out at Customer Service was OK too.

Unfortunately, there were relatively few $9.99-12.99 BDs and I can buy the BDs I want significantly cheaper at either Wal-Mart, Target or Amazon depending on the title, so did no swaps and only bought [1] BD on sale @ $7.99.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #10 of 41 Old 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Another thank you for the heads up on this folks.

Quote:

Unfortunately, there were relatively few $9.99-12.99 BDs and I can buy the BDs I want significantly cheaper at either Wal-Mart, Target or Amazon depending on the title, so did no swaps and only bought [1] BD on sale @ $7.99.

Yeah. The in-store selection ain't that great at Best Buy anymore (but I'm sure I'll find somethin to blow a few bucks on anyway ). Anyone know if the coupons can be used for purchases off the website or by phone as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 View Post

The common thing in each of the previous 3 sales has been the uneven implementation of the program at each individual store. It was finally dubbed the YMMV Upgrade Sale by many posters.

I experienced the different strokes for different stores thing last time as well. If memory serves, the biggest problems for me ensued as a result of trading in multiple DVDs on the same receipt or coupon (I couldn't really keep the two straight). It seemed like some stores were giving out seperate coupons/receipts for each DVD traded-in. And others were only giving one coupon or receipt per batch of DVDs traded-in. Very confusing.

If you have multiple DVDs to trade-in, you might save yourself some trouble if you ask for a seperate receipt and coupon for each item traded-in. More trouble for them (if they're willing to do it), but probably less hassle for you, if you deal with more than one location.

They also kept computer records of the tradein transactions, and could tell how many credits had been used or still remained unsued on a receipt (or coupon?) by simply scanning or typing in the barcode. So this could be another recourse if you encounter any problems.

ADU
post #11 of 41 Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

A couple other suggestions...

Check to see if they have the Blu-ray(s) you want in stock at the price you want before you trade-in your DVD(s). Otherwise you could end up with a bunch of credits, and nothing really worthwhile/cost-effective to spend them on. Once the tradein offer is over, I believe those credits simply evaporate, because there's no way to get your money or the DVD you traded-in back.

Also consider the value of your DVD trade-in. If it's a rare or recent title, you might be able to get more than $5 cash or credit for it online or at another local video store that buys/sells used videos. Used video stores typically won't impose the same type of restrictions either, so you can rack up alot of credit with them, and apply it all towards a new purchase (rather than just applying $5 per title), and not spend a dime out of pocket. I've even run across ma/pa rental shops that will take used videos in exchange for rental credits.

ADU
post #12 of 41 Old 04-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I agree that the best thing to do is to make sure that the store has all the BluRay titles you want before you hand over your DVD's and get the trade in coupons. Also, check and make sure that the store allows the trade in on all BluRay discs over $9.99. In January, one BB store I went to would only allow me to use the trade in coupons on selected titles, whereas another BB store about 15 miles away had no such limitation.

Cal68

Cal68
post #13 of 41 Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 PM
GPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

Another thank you for the heads up on this folks.

Yeah. The in-store selection ain't that great at Best Buy anymore (but I'm sure I'll find somethin to blow a few bucks on anyway ). Anyone know if the coupons can be used for purchases off the website or by phone as well?

I experienced the different strokes for different stores thing last time as well. If memory serves, the biggest problems for me ensued as a result of trading in multiple DVDs on the same receipt or coupon (I couldn't really keep the two straight). It seemed like some stores were giving out seperate coupons/receipts for each DVD traded-in. And others were only giving one coupon or receipt per batch of DVDs traded-in. Very confusing.

They also kept computer records of the tradein transactions, and could tell how many credits had been used or still remained unsued on a receipt (or coupon?) by simply scanning or typing in the barcode. So this could be another recourse if you encounter any problems.

You're welcome! Thanks for the thread, though wish I'd of known this was going on since last year or I wouldn't have given [or thrown] away some DVDs already.

Hmm, in retrospect, what I meant was that I was only interested in the cheaper BDs, but was told that any BD was available in this T&S sale, including any from on-line and shipped to the store for pickup, though I got the impression that it would have to be ordered at the store also as part of the sale.

Since I didn't do any trading, don't know about the coupons, only that the one guy had a fistful, so assumed it was one for each DVD. Forgot to ask if they were only good right then or if they could be combined to buy fewer, more expensive BDs.

GM

post #14 of 41 Old 04-26-2012, 12:56 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the thread, though wish I'd of known this was going on since last year or I wouldn't have given [or thrown] away some DVDs already.

I believe the last Blu-ray trade-in offer like this was in January of this year. I'm still a bit of a Blu-ray newb though, and didn't notice this sub-forum existed until after the offer was over. And I agree, it can be a good way to get rid of old "junk" DVDs that may still be floating around your house. They run similar trade-in offers on games from time to time as well.

The deck is sort of stacked against the customer in these offers though, so if you're not paying close attention, you could easily end up losing on the deal (see add'l tips below as further examples.)

Quote:
Hmm, in retrospect, what I meant was that I was only interested in the cheaper BDs, but was told that any BD was available in this T&S sale, including any from on-line and shipped to the store for pickup, though I got the impression that it would have to be ordered at the store also as part of the sale.

Good to know. And I think you actually made a good point about the cost of the Blu-rays in your previous post. Because if you can find the title elsewhere for less than what you'd pay at BB after the trade-in discount is applied, then you're just throwing good money/credits and DVDs down the drain for no reason.

The last time around, most of the popular titles close to the $10 to $15 range got picked clean pretty quickly. And by the end of the sale, there wasn't really much left on the shelves worth buying (which is undoubtedly Best Buy's intention).

Best Buy has been losing money lately btw. And they're planning on downsizing and closing some of their stores as a result. I'm not sure when the closures will take place, but it might be something else to consider if you're ordering Blu-rays for later in-store pickup.

Quote:
Since I didn't do any trading, don't know about the coupons, only that the one guy had a fistful, so assumed it was one for each DVD. Forgot to ask if they were only good right then or if they could be combined to buy fewer, more expensive BDs.

I don't know if they're doing things the same way this time, but in the last trade-in offer, the credits were transportable from store to store... at least in theory. Sometimes that was a bit difficult though, if your paperwork wasn't in order. And once you traded a DVD in, the credit was basically good until the offer ended (which would probably be until May 12th in this case).

In practice though, it's probably easier to complete the trade-in/BD purchase transaction all at one time/spot, to avoid any confusion.

One more tip: Be sure the Blu-ray you buy is really something you want and intend to keep. If you try to return it later on (esp. after the sale is over), you most likely won't get the trade-in credit back, which is more money/DVDs down the drain.

ADU
post #15 of 41 Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This and other offers from Best Buy are scams.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #16 of 41 Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Then ignore the offer and don't participate.

Others don't think it's a scam and some find it to be a convenient method of disposing of old DVDs.

-Shimon
post #17 of 41 Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have quite a few DVDs I've received as gifts that would be good to turn into coupons, assuming I can find some Blu Rays I want. Will give it a shot tomorrow or this weekend.
post #18 of 41 Old 04-28-2012, 11:35 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Took a quick spin by the ole blue & yellow yesterday, and there were a few things I could be tempted to get. No idea what the picture/audio quality is on these discs, but I might grab American Werewolf, Excalibur, Terminator (2006 edition), Blazing Saddles or one or two others if I can still find em next week for $9.99, and can find a few more junk DVDs to trade-in.

The Terminator that's $9.99 is the 2006 BD. Perhaps the 2011 BD edition is better though, and I should pass on the '06 disc.

ADU
post #19 of 41 Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM

Liked: 12
Does anybody know if music blu's are eligible this time?

The george harrison "living in the material world" doc is 11.99 if so!
post #20 of 41 Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM

I thought I read they weren't included.

Dave
post #21 of 41 Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdmt View Post

Does anybody know if music blu's are eligible this time?

The george harrison "living in the material world" doc is 11.99 if so!

The are not generally not part of the deal but that shouldn't keep you from trying. Many of the people working at BB don't know anything about the program and you can generally get a disc that is not part of the program. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on the store and personnel.

-Shimon
post #22 of 41 Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 PM

Well, Looking at this weeks ad, I think its ok now! (Foo Fighters & Taylor Swift)

it says nothing this time about music discs being excluded!
post #23 of 41 Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 PM
DB2
Advanced Member

FWIW I went to a local BB yesterday and they had a cardboard sign advertising the trade in/trade up offer literally hanging from the blu-ray music section of the racks. This section was not adjacent to the blu-ray movies either, different part of the store.

I didn't use my trade ins for any music blu-rays so can't confirm but it sure looks like the deal is good on music blu-rays.

"I usually sit closer to 2 X screen width, or I look like a cat watching a ping pong tournament." -Free
post #24 of 41 Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Used the upgrade on Joe Satriani's live Blu ray, which was from the music section - they were fine with it, at least at the location I bought from (Costa Mesa).
post #25 of 41 Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM
GPM

If only there was a BD of PF's Live at Pompeii.........

GM

post #26 of 41 Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 AM

Yup. It worked.

Got the george Harrison doc for 11.99 as well as the Rolling STones "Some Girls" for 12.99

Whoo hoo!
Small victories. I know, i'm lame, lol.
post #27 of 41 Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Can you bring in Blu-ray's too for the upgrade program? I do not have any DVD's left.
post #28 of 41 Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post

Can you bring in Blu-ray's too for the upgrade program? I do not have any DVD's left.

VERY YMMV. Some people have been able to, but they are definitely not supposed to take blu's.
post #29 of 41 Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Picked up the following for $4.99 w/trade-in so far...

American Werewolf in London
Blazing Saddles
Clockwork Orange (2007 BD edition)
Excalibur
MI2
MI3
Spartacus (1960 Kubrick film)

Haven't watched American Werewolf or Clockwork yet.

Only major disappointment so far has been Spartacus, which will come as no surprise to the Kubrick fans. Great movie, great cast, great score... terrible-lookin video loaded with some of the worst DNR and edge-enhancement I've seen on any major BD release so far. Also some A/V sync issues in the audio track. Sound quality is pretty good otherwise.

PQ was sorta iffy on MI2 as well (have ta give it a pass tho for Ms. Newton). MI3 was better than expected.

Not sure what to do on Clockwork Orange yet, since there's a newer 2011 BD release out.

Most of the above, except ACO & BS, have gone back up in price now. (Snooze and you lose, as they used to say.)

ADU
post #30 of 41 Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

I bought 12 blurays for $5 each with this program back in January. Worked out great for me. Why do you think this is a scam?
Reply Blu-ray Disc Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page