For those who like Steelbook releases.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,960
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
There's a wave of under-the-radar steelbook releases that have hit Best Buy this month.

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Goodfellas
Ghost Rider
The Hangover
The Hangover Part 2
Sucker Punch (Theatrical)
The Last Samurai (Yes, it's still the recycled HD-DVD)
V For Vendetta

and Underworld Awakening 3D also hit Best Buy this month.
LexInVA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stumlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

There's a wave of under-the-radar steelbook releases that have hit Best Buy this month.

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Goodfellas
Ghost Rider
The Hangover
The Hangover Part 2
Sucker Punch (Theatrical)
The Last Samurai (Yes, it's still the recycled HD-DVD)
V For Vendetta

and Underworld Awakening 3D also hit Best Buy this month.

Thanks for the info!

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
stumlad is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anybody here pull some of the tines of the disc holder to get the discs in and out easier?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
Fanboyz is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,960
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Add LOTR to the list. All three theatrical cuts are apparently getting steelbook releases today.
LexInVA is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
deltasun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Complete list of 20 (from br.com). All are G2-sized and are $14.99 at Best Buy till 6/2.

Inception - SKU:5513482
Goodfellas - SKU: 5513298
The Hangover - SKU: 5513331
The Matrix - SKU: 5513377
Gran Torino - SKU: 5513304
Shawshank Redemption - SKU: 5513386
Batman Begins - SKU: 5513313
The Dark Knight - SKU: 5513419
300 - SKU: 5513491
The Last Samurai - SKU: 5513428
The Hangover II - SKU: 5513395
Sucker Punch - SKU: 5513446
V for Vendetta - SKU: 5513464
The Book of Eli - SKU: 5513359
Sherlock Holmes - SKU: 5513368
Green Lantern - SKU: 5513507
The Clash of the Titans (2010) - SKU: 5513455
The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - SKU: 5513473
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - SKU: 5513322
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - SKU: 5513437

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
deltasun is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vortex3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Complete list of 20 (from br.com). All are G2-sized and are $14.99 at Best Buy till 6/2.

Inception - SKU:5513482
Goodfellas - SKU: 5513298
The Hangover - SKU: 5513331
The Matrix - SKU: 5513377
Gran Torino - SKU: 5513304
Shawshank Redemption - SKU: 5513386
Batman Begins - SKU: 5513313
The Dark Knight - SKU: 5513419
300 - SKU: 5513491
The Last Samurai - SKU: 5513428
The Hangover II - SKU: 5513395
Sucker Punch - SKU: 5513446
V for Vendetta - SKU: 5513464
The Book of Eli - SKU: 5513359
Sherlock Holmes - SKU: 5513368
Green Lantern - SKU: 5513507
The Clash of the Titans (2010) - SKU: 5513455
The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - SKU: 5513473
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - SKU: 5513322
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - SKU: 5513437

I assume all those metal case edition are using the same regular edition movie disc? Some of the metal case edition already available at Fye since the movies came out. So, what makes them "exclusive" to Best Buy this time?

Review on the metal case Germany edition. Odd is the sam emain art cover is printed on both sides on the case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK8fwxAa3Fw
Vortex3D is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
LexInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,960
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I don't exactly know why they are exclusive to Best Buy but I do know that they have been prodded to have more Steelbook exclusives by customers who want to buy from Best Buy for Reward Zone points.
LexInVA is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vortex3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

I don't exactly know why they are exclusive to Best Buy but I do know that they have been prodded to have more Steelbook exclusives by customers who want to buy from Best Buy for Reward Zone points.

Best Buy also released a few Pixar Blu-ray on metal cases much later after the movie originally came out. Since the metal case edition costs a few bucks more plus metal case collectors may rebuy the same movie again, it's a good strategy to get customers to the store.

Why is the metal case called "Steel" case? The metal is really tin, not steel. Maybe when it was originally introduced more than 10 years ago on DVD, it was made of steel. Some metal cases made today have super thin metal layer that the case gets dented easily.
Vortex3D is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
SC0TLANDF0REVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

... Why is the metal case called "Steel" case? The metal is really tin, not steel. Maybe when it was originally introduced more than 10 years ago on DVD, it was made of steel. Some metal cases made today have super thin metal layer that the case gets dented easily.

It's called "SteelBook" cause it's a Trademark that they use to promote the sales of their product.

I agree - I don't like them, the only one I have is a promo item for the upcoming Assassin's Creed III video game.

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

SC0TLANDF0REVER is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
deltasun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
These SteelBooks go down to $9.99 starting Sunday (6/3).

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
deltasun is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Why is the metal case called "Steel" case? The metal is really tin, not steel. Maybe when it was originally introduced more than 10 years ago on DVD, it was made of steel. Some metal cases made today have super thin metal layer that the case gets dented easily.

Indeed but they are not all from Steelbook. Some of them have a very cheap feel, like Terminator Salvation for example or Prince Of Persia. True Steelbooks are of a much better quality.
Morpheo is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 06-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I just bought the three LOTR movies on steelbook today from Best Buy. By some crazy miracle I've managed to only see the first movie and don't own any of them yet. I love steelbooks but my question is, is it worth it to buy these theatrical edition forms of the movies? I know the extended trilogy was released last summer but those had some color issues in the transfer. Do these theatrical editions have a solid transfer both in the audio and video departments? Thanks in advance...
markmathers is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vortex3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

Guys, I just bought the three LOTR movies on steelbook today from Best Buy. By some crazy miracle I've managed to only see the first movie and don't own any of them yet. I love steelbooks but my question is, is it worth it to buy these theatrical edition forms of the movies? I know the extended trilogy was released last summer but those had some color issues in the transfer. Do these theatrical editions have a solid transfer both in the audio and video departments? Thanks in advance...

Two Towers and Return of the King have good encode on the Theatrical edition. Both TE and EE messed up the Fellowship of the Ring.
Vortex3D is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 06-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
markmathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Two Towers and Return of the King have good encode on the Theatrical edition. Both TE and EE messed up the Fellowship of the Ring.

Thanks for your feedback Vortex!
markmathers is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 07-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Member
 
FreightTrainJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To those who got the Batman Steelbooks, do you know if the $5 movie voucher could be used at IMAX theaters?
FreightTrainJane is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 07-26-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smudge981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 165
A guess on my part but I'd say "yes." After all, $5 is $5. On another note, if you're going to cash in your voucher by logging on to activateawards.com/thedarkknightrises, make sure you type it in on a Google search. If you log on using the address, it's a confusing and useless mess.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

smudge981 is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Member
 
Pothog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Two Towers and Return of the King have good encode on the Theatrical edition. Both TE and EE messed up the Fellowship of the Ring.

Not sure what your talking about. I have the EE pack and all 3 look perfect on my calibrated 64D7000.
Pothog is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Disc Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off