Hardware Choices for Zotac Atom D525 1.83GHz Mini-PC (ZBOX-ID41-U). Posted in wrong place please move as needed - fueler67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All - I am a Noob and need help with some basics for my Zotac Atom D525 1.83GHz Mini-PC (ZBOX-ID41-U) barebones unit no Ram or SSD installed. I want to use the unit to net surf & watch some stuff off Netflix etc. Nothing heavy duty.

Is there a basic Noob guide for the below questions? If so, I apologize for posting a repeat topic.

What type and how much DDR do I go with?

Do I need to install a SSD? Can I load an O/S without a SSD (i think not but not sure) or do I boot from an USB flash/thumb drive using the O/S of my choice? I would probably go with Linux. Are there limitations from booting from a USB flash/thumb drive?

Do I need a media program that will enable growth for other options as I become more familiar with the system?

Also I need to load drivers etc but not sure how to go the best route. I dont have an external CD drive other than on my Laptop. Can I config' laptop and the ID41 to get the drivers loaded?Can I load drivers via a flash/thumb drive?

Sorry for the basic questions but this is a new hobby for me and its going to be a steep learning curve for the next little while.

Appreciate any guidance I get.

Fueler67

Posted in wrong place please move as needed - fueler67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fueler67 View Post

I want to use the unit to net surf & watch some stuff off Netflix etc. Nothing heavy duty.

Lol, Netflix is heavy duty. Since it can't use hardware acceleration properly, Netflix 720p is even harder on the CPU than decoding Blu-ray 1080p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueler67 View Post

Do I need to install a SSD? Can I load an O/S without a SSD (i think not but not sure) or do I boot from an USB flash/thumb drive using the O/S of my choice? I would probably go with Linux. Are there limitations from booting from a USB flash/thumb drive?

You don't need to install an SSD. A 2.5" notebook HDD would work fine. With how inexpensive SSDs are nowadays and with continued high prices of HDDs, I'd probably install an SSD, though. Should be able to withstand heat much better than the laptop HDD. I've bought a laptop every year mostly because the HDD fails after a year's use. Sure I can just replace the HDD itself but it's as good an excuse as any to upgrade to a faster system. tongue.gif

As for OS of choice, if you want Netflix you need Windows. For me, it's not worth the hackery involved to get Windows proper to boot from a USB flash drive. Hmm, maybe Windows 8 might allow it but it's definitely a headache for earlier versions.
Reply Computers and Parts Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page