Ceton Echo $129 possibly $99 ea. if you buy 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was "surprised" to not see this posted here... I'm sure it has to deal with the lack of current enthusiasm for the echo. I'm sure most saw this promotion in their email from ceton but Amazon has a Father's Day special for the Ceton Echo for $129 with free shipping... I believe this deal goes through the 18th

What makes this deal interesting to me is that there is also a special offer going on for $60 off the purchase of 2... using the code ECHOSAVE I am not certain if you can combine them... the coupon code says "This promotion may not be combined with other offers, including promotional certificates." However it does not state this "sale" price is an offer. Unfortunately the summer months are the months I can't buy anything so I can't try it... but at $99 ea, I think they are finally priced more in line with what they should be (assuming they work somewhat as expected). My experience has been fairly good if I don't try anything other than live/recorded TV... throw in anything else it can become bad quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was able to pick it up for $99 a piece this way. Its about what I really expected to play for the device. $179 normal is a joke.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM
dgk

Is it better to just get a used XBox360 for $120 or so from GameStop? I haven't looked into those yet but i assume they can work as extenders. How much more power do they use than the Echo? At least you can play games on them and they should get cheaper as the Xbox One starts selling.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk View Post

Is it better to just get a used XBox360 for $120 or so from GameStop? I haven't looked into those yet but i assume they can work as extenders. How much more power do they use than the Echo? At least you can play games on them and they should get cheaper as the Xbox One starts selling.

From what I've heard these are quieter, and draw less power. The 360 is more functional. I didn't want the fan noise in the bedroom.
Deal is dead as of today anyways. At least the $60 off coupon is anyways.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM
dgk

Does the Xbox make noise even when off - I could see that being annoying in the bedroom. The $99 Echo is still valid as of a few minutes ago. I think I'll order one for the bedroom and maybe use the Xbox in another room. Oops, that was $130. I think I'll wait.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 168
$129 at the egg again until tomorrow.

post #7 of 14 Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
$99 at Amazon now.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #8 of 14 Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

$99 at Amazon now.

Thanks for the heads-up. The "deal" is still on. I don't see it listed as a "CyberMonday" deal...so I'm not sure if this is a "Deal Price" or a permanent price drop.

Disappointing that Android isn't happening. Being able to access Netflix, Rhapsody, and HBOGo woulda made this little thing *near-perfect* for my own personal use-case. That said, I have a use for an Extender. And when the only choices are Echo vs. Xbox vs. mini-PC's, at this price, this is the right choice for me.

I picked up another one. Tempted to buy yet another... the only thing holding me back is the hope that, when I get the time, I will be able to successfully resurrect my now-dead Xbox 360 DIY-style...
post #9 of 14 Old 12-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Price is back to $179 on Amazon... so at least for-now, the "price-drop" doesn't seem permanent.

Hopefully I can bring this xbox back from the grave... otherwise I'm going to be kicking myself for not getting a 3rd...
post #10 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Price is back to $99.99 on Amazon.

Anybody on here have an Echo attached vertically to the back of their flat-panel? With My Media Center, I'm not concerned about IR control... any long-term use testimonials?
post #11 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

Price is back to $99.99 on Amazon.

Anybody on here have an Echo attached vertically to the back of their flat-panel? With My Media Center, I'm not concerned about IR control... any long-term use testimonials?
Many do mount them like that. There are no moving parts, so orientation doesn't matter.

I've used Echoes ever since they were released. I've had no issues except the zoom bug. You just need a problem free network or you will have reboot and lockup issues as others have reported. If you expect to use it for file streaming outside of TV and recordings, you'd be better off with Xboxes. I have 4 Echoes at the moment, and they are running smoothly. I only use them for TV, so they work as expected for me. All mine ore mounted line-of-sight because I prefer to use regular universal IR remotes at each TV.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Liked: 11
I don't have a home "network" per se, just my home theater PC wirelessly connected to my router. My house is not wired for ethernet. If I use a powerline adapter will that be sufficient? The FAQ says they recommend MoCa over powerline adapters. Should I just get an xbox 360 instead? Does the built in wifi on the Xbox work ok? The current $99 price is tempting....(I missed the $99 Xbox at Walmart sale)

I'm just trying to bring the DVR from the home theater to the bedroom.

DarrenK
post #13 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
These should have been priced at $99 or less from day one. This seems to be Ceton's marketing strategy. Sell high for first adopters and then slash the price by 40-50% after a year or so. I can only assume that once they recover their startup costs and start making profit, they bring the price down to a reasonable level.

For those of you that have had good luck with the Echo, my hat's off to you. I was one of the unfortunate ones in the beta program that didn't fare quite so well. I had two, and both were buggy from the start. I never could get them to play anything smoothly without stuttering or freezing. I was sorely disappointed that they couldn't play certain video formats. Had they been able to, I might have stuck with them longer in the hope that they'd eventually work the kinks out., but that never happened. Fortunately for me, Ceton extended the return period so I was able to get a full refund.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I think that all manufacturer's charge early adopters more money at first release then lower the price

That said amazon has the echo for $99 again

Reply Computers and Parts Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page