HDHomerun Dual $59.99 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
One of NewEgg's shell shockers today http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16815345007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
no cable card = is it $59.98 overpriced. The actual value of the product is $.01

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 14 Old 10-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

no cable card = is it $59.98 overpriced. The actual value of the product is $.01

This is quite cheap for a dual ATSC tuner device for PC, not to mention a great value for cord-cutters who want to switch to OTA, of which there is a growing number.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes, I own one of these and use it all the time. It is a nice product. I still get ClearQAM locals on my cable, plus OTA. I've had it running for about 2 years now, and not once has it ever locked up or stopped working for any reason.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-08-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Yes, I own one of these and use it all the time. It is a nice product. I still get ClearQAM locals on my cable, plus OTA. I've had it running for about 2 years now, and not once has it ever locked up or stopped working for any reason.

Cable is now encrypting even free channels so that is why you don't want it. That is also why they are blowing them out cheap. They are worthless now.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 14 Old 10-08-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Cable is now encrypting even free channels so that is why you don't want it. That is also why they are blowing them out cheap. They are worthless now.

Think you made a mistake in thinking this is the HDHomerun Prime (which does require a cablecard), but these are a different model.

The HDHomerun Dual takes it' s source signal from an over the air antennae and provides digital HD from broadcast TV over an ethernet cable plant.

Do they have a new version coming out that supports DLNA?
post #7 of 14 Old 10-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

According to your standards or needs, maybe. Guess you are the wise one and we are all idiots.
They are worth whatever the market pays for them.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I meant talking about cable.

With cable card model you could watch encrypted Channels. That's what you want.

Yes this is basically no cable and OTA only for most of the country at this point , But I have a $9.99 tuner card that does the same exact thing in my PC now.

If I was spending $60 I'd want ability to view scrambled channels too. New models will all have this, so unless you strictly want OTA only and no cable capability at all this isn't likely to be what you want . These will be $29 soon is my guess. They have low value now that congress has passed the ruling cable companies can encrypt free basic cable channels. Comcast is already doing this.

-

post #9 of 14 Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 AM

Liked: 11
+1

I have monitored this site for several years and rarely post.
I have read almost every relevant post.
It has become less desirable when there is a know-it-all that has "the time" (is he a stay-at-home Mom?) to counter every post
with the only 'opinion" that is correct?

@DanPackMan kudos to the you and all of the members that see through "fog" and post thought provoking information.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

MFUSICK, So, you agree they are not worthless. The fact that the price is dropping is great....it tends to happen on most consumer electronic products over time, it doesn't make the product worthless or useless.

Tuner cards are not the same as stand alone network tuners. Different capabilities to meet different customer needs. OTOH, if you have a tuner card w/ 2 tuners and stand-alone network capability, I'd love to know what it is, but a tuner card itself does not fulfill my needs, nor the needs of many who prefer network OTA tuners.

Question...why would somebody with cable card requirements as a 'must' consider this product in comparison?....makes no sense. Why would somebody that only wants a stand-alone OTA tuner pay extra for a cable card tuner? That would not make sense either. This product compares with other OTA/ATSC network tuners. It doesn't make coffee either. And BTW, the Prime does not have OTA capability.

Many folks don't have Comcast. My cable co still provides locals unencrypted, and there are many smaller cable infrastructures that do as well, such as those contracted for condominiums and communities. And OTA is not going anywhere any time soon.

I agree that Dual is not good enough for you, and has no value for you. Glad you stopped by to let us all know. I have no use for your 9.99 tuner card, hope you that info helps you as well.
StinDaWg and Josea like this.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just installed another HDHR on my network that I bought last summer for ... $60 shipped. I haven't seen the price drop below that point since then.

If you want an OTA tuner and you are using WMC, then I don't think there's a better option. The fact that it also tunes ClearQAM is an added bonus. My cable provider still allows unencrypted QAM. Every month that goes by where they don't begin encrypting it actually surprises me ... but until they do, I'll continue to record QAM for the couple of stations that are a little sketchy OTA.

Either way, IMO, this is a good product at the lowest price advertised if it addresses your needs. Support through SiliconDust is exemplary as well.
DanPackMan likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Liked: 10
I am watching one of these on eBay - it looks like $50 is a good deal for me since I've totally cut cable. Anyone see one cheaper?
post #13 of 14 Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I still don't think I've ever seen a new, retail version advertised for less than $59 shipped. If you can get a new one shipped for less than that, then it's a good deal.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
That's a good deal. I got one for $60 on a Black Friday deal two holidays ago... Works great when you want to watch OTA TV from your W7 laptop from anywhere in the house.
Reply Computers and Parts Great Found Deals!

Tags
Hdhomerun Dual

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page