Comcast Xfinity Free Double Speed Upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 02-26-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Call 1-888-228-0063 and try to get your speed bumped to the next package for free. I was told my Blast! 50Mbps would get bumped to 105Mbps within 24 hours for no extra cost. I have the Blast Plus package for ~$55/month now.

Followed the suggestions here: http://slickdeals.net/f/6745292-free-upgrade-to-comcast-extreme-105-105mbps-for-current-triple-and-double-play-blast-50mbps-customers-ymmv?
Dark_Slayer likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-27-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Big thanks for posting. Hope it will work for me, office closed until 10amCST. I already have double play w/ blast. Extreme 105 would be icing. I've been contemplating just dumping TV and using the difference for 105, I guess they pre-emptively wanted to keep those of us who were in that boat within their cable tv subscription count

Just remembered how poorly Comcast treats those of you in ATL, at least they do some things right from time to time
post #3 of 39 Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Any results yet?

post #4 of 39 Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nothing for me, but I'm still under 24 hours. I just did a remote desktop connection from my phone to my home server and ran a speed test. Still shows my 50/10 speeds.

post #5 of 39 Old 02-27-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Nothing for me, but I'm still under 24 hours. I just did a remote desktop connection from my phone to my home server and ran a speed test. Still shows my 50/10 speeds.

Jump Desktop?

post #6 of 39 Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 761
What is the purpose for this ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 39 Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

To get your 50 Mbps internet to 105 Mbps for free.

post #8 of 39 Old 02-27-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Quote:

To get your 50 Mbps internet to 105 Mbps for free.
Nothing is free. They're banking on you not cancelling when they start charging for it.
post #9 of 39 Old 02-27-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

You are in one of the central locations where this should definitely apply to

Did you reset your modem? If motorola, you can use 192.168.100.1 then go to the configuration tab and use "Restart Cable Modem" at the bottom of the page

Edit:
Quote:

Dude, what the heck?
post #10 of 39 Old 02-27-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Did you reset your modem? If motorola, you can use 192.168.100.1 then go to the configuration tab and use "Restart Cable Modem" at the bottom of the page

Edit:
Dude, what the heck?

I have Blast Plus. It is Blast internet with Economy TV. It isn't considered a Double Play package so I'm probably not able to receive it. The deal is that Double and Triple Play plans will have their internet speed bumped to the next level by either calling and getting it now or waiting for the end of March for it to happen automatically. My goal was to get my Blast Plus up to 105 without getting a higher priced package.

And yes, I've restarted my modem plenty of times since yesterday. BTW, your method doesn't work on Zoom modems since it doesn't have the Restart option. My older Motorola SurfBoard had the option. I just have to manually unplug it and plug it back in. I've also ran Speed Test enough that I'll use up my 300 GB data cap on that site alone.

post #11 of 39 Old 02-28-2014, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Jump Desktop?

There's also the official RDP client from Microsoft for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.rdc.android

Works pretty well in my experience.
post #12 of 39 Old 02-28-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewbert View Post

Quote:

Jump Desktop?

There's also the official RDP client from Microsoft for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.rdc.android

Works pretty well in my experience.

That's pretty new. I didn't know it existed. Jump works pretty well but doesn't handle swapping to another app on the phone and back very well. I got Jump for free a while back but it looks the MS app is free too.

post #13 of 39 Old 02-28-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's pretty new. I didn't know it existed. Jump works pretty well but doesn't handle swapping to another app on the phone and back very well. I got Jump for free a while back but it looks the MS app is free too.

I've also mostly switched over to the MS app too. It is easier to put it on other tablets since it is free.

post #14 of 39 Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Nothing is free. They're banking on you not cancelling when they start charging for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Edit:
Dude, what the heck?

I finally got my upgrade in Kennesaw, GA. It was almost 48 hours since calling the 1-888 number so I called 1-800-XFINITY and went to the sales/upgrades option. Told them I had called two days ago about a free upgrade from Blast 50 to Extreme 105 and was told it would be 24 hours and nothing has happened.

She first said she didn't see anything, but then must have spotted a note and said something about needing a different gateway. I said I had a proper modem (Zoom 8x4 channel DOCSIS 3.0) and even had the service for a few months last year. She said that was fine and had to dig up the proper code and activated it. I had 105 by the time I hung up the phone without even rebooting the modem (rebooted anyway later). I double checked that it was free and she said no, it was a $10 upgrade fee. I'm fine with that since I only have Blast Plus (Blast 50/10 with Economy TV) for $55/mo. Now I guess it is $65 per month.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3338989080
BillJulyan likes this.

post #15 of 39 Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My little horror story so far:

2/27 - (888)228-0063 phone order - rep confirmed my account qualifies and my modem qualifies. Completed sign up. Need to wait 24hrs.

2/28 - 24hrs not getting new speed. reboot modem. no change.

3/1 - 48hrs still not getting new speed.
1. chat with tech support- claimed area outage, then claimed not showing on my account. transferred...
2. chat with sales - claimed I need another modem and the fee for tech to come install is $250. Declined.
3. (888)228-0063 phone order - rep claimed not available in California. goodbye.
4. (888)228-0063 phone order - rep confirmed my account qualifies and my modem qualifies. Do not need different modem installed, do not need tech visit, and there is no fee at all. Completed sign up. Need to wait 24hrs... again.
post #16 of 39 Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for sharing the news on the Extreme upgrade. I just called the 800 number posted by the OP and had a quick 10min conversation and got upgraded to Extreme for same cost as Blast no questions asked. Now in the 24hour waiting period for the upgrade!
post #17 of 39 Old 03-01-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

My little horror story so far:

Wonder how those newly acquired Time Warner people are gonna feel...............eek.gif

I have the "double play" with performance internet which is OK for me.
The only "NEED-FOR-SPEED" I desire is to hurry up and win some big $$$ from the lottery.biggrin.gif

I'm old.
Was trained on vacuum tubes.
Most everything I've worked on is in the museum or on the History Channel.
post #18 of 39 Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Internet bill plus digital starter plus dvr was $110 - jumped to $131. Some discount expired. Internet speed was 20-25.
Asked what we could drop to get a better price. This was about 3/12/14 in Oakland, ca.

Wound up with something called "Blast Plus" for $79!! Internet speed sometimes now hits double - but usually 25-35. Usually 10up. The first few days did hit 50 but haven't seen that last few days.

Main channels we lost were sports channels (ESPN and local) and a few seldom watched channels like MSNBC and TCM.
HOWEVER - just realized with Comcast's TV2go feature we can get almost everything - some of it live because we have another account at a place where almost everything from Comcast is included in HOA fees. Using a laptop w. Chromecast we can watch all we don't have in Oakland on the big plasma screen - don't have to watch it on a tablet.

We probably would have kept paying the $110 forever. Thanks to them trying to jack the rates by over $250/yr. we are now saving $372/yr. from what we were paying and saving $600+ from what they wanted to get.
post #19 of 39 Old 05-11-2014, 09:24 PM

Liked: 10
Alright, so, I've been trying to find some reliable information about this for a couple of hours now. I used to download (depending on the source) at around 1.1Mbps, solid. The highest it would ever go is 1.3Mbps. So, over the last two days or so, I've seen it go from 1.3 to 2.4-2.7. No signs of slowing down either (I'll keep my fingers crossed since my bill hasn't gone up). Any reason why? I know I'm not on one of their dandy special plans or anything. I just have internet through them.
post #20 of 39 Old 05-12-2014, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectingSoul View Post

Alright, so, I've been trying to find some reliable information about this for a couple of hours now. I used to download (depending on the source) at around 1.1Mbps, solid. The highest it would ever go is 1.3Mbps. So, over the last two days or so, I've seen it go from 1.3 to 2.4-2.7. No signs of slowing down either (I'll keep my fingers crossed since my bill hasn't gone up). Any reason why? I know I'm not on one of their dandy special plans or anything. I just have internet through them.

It sounds like your area got a free speed bump. Go to www.speedtest.net and run a test and compare those results to plans offered in your area.

post #21 of 39 Old 05-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

I finally got my upgrade in Kennesaw, GA. It was almost 48 hours since calling the 1-888 number so I called 1-800-XFINITY and went to the sales/upgrades option. Told them I had called two days ago about a free upgrade from Blast 50 to Extreme 105 and was told it would be 24 hours and nothing has happened.

She first said she didn't see anything, but then must have spotted a note and said something about needing a different gateway. I said I had a proper modem (Zoom 8x4 channel DOCSIS 3.0) and even had the service for a few months last year. She said that was fine and had to dig up the proper code and activated it. I had 105 by the time I hung up the phone without even rebooting the modem (rebooted anyway later). I double checked that it was free and she said no, it was a $10 upgrade fee. I'm fine with that since I only have Blast Plus (Blast 50/10 with Economy TV) for $55/mo. Now I guess it is $65 per month.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3338989080

Thank you! I live in Brookhaven (north Atlanta) GA and just did what you did (called 1-800-XFINITY). $10 a month upgrade to my Blast Plus and I now have 105 Mbps.

Bill Julyan
post #22 of 39 Old 05-28-2014, 08:35 AM

Sorta a dumb question....
I moved from the 25(?) to the free upgrade to 50 level. Going to 100 does what for me?
I didn't really notice a change to the 50. I have TV and Internet.

I'm old.
post #23 of 39 Old 05-28-2014, 11:05 AM

That's it. I'm dumping Uverse and their measly 18/1 which is the fastest they offer here in Marietta. Comcast it is. Really wish Google Fiber would find it s way here.
post #24 of 39 Old 05-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post

That's it. I'm dumping Uverse and their measly 18/1 which is the fastest they offer here in Marietta. Comcast it is. Really wish Google Fiber would find it s way here.

Congrats on the Comcast move. Never understood how Uv could offer such low speeds. Marketing I guess.

Good luck on Google fiber in Atlanta. After the greedy politicians get a hold of it who knows how long and how much it will cost in real time.

Anybody have word on Areo's court case?

I'm old.
post #25 of 39 Old 05-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBoyz View Post

Anybody have word on Areo's court case?

Probably won't get a decision from SCOTUS for several more weeks.  Seems like most of their biggie decisions are released in June.  Win or lose, Aereo will be toast.  If Aereo loses, well, they go out of business.  If they win, it opens up a whole new arena of competition, and I imagine the networks themselves would probably start broadcasting their content over the net for free to put Aereo and other copycats out of business.  I seriously doubt they would follow through with threats of discontinuing OTA broadcasts if Aereo wins.  Too much advertising revenue at stake.

post #26 of 39 Old 05-28-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBoyz View Post

Sorta a dumb question....
I moved from the 25(?) to the free upgrade to 50 level. Going to 100 does what for me?
I didn't really notice a change to the 50. I have TV and Internet.

Why, it lets you exceed the 300gb monthly cap twice as fast as before....:rolleyes: So you can get another 50gb added for an additional $10.

;)

BillJulyan likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #27 of 39 Old 05-29-2014, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post

Love the speed and reliability of Comcast's internet service...hate calling them on the phone. Unless you need voice and data, go ahead and buy your own DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. I don't believe there is a combo voice/data modem available for customer purchase anymore.

Google announced Nashville as one of their potential cities fro Google Fiber, but unfortunately they don't appear to be including the surrounding area/suburbs. frown.gif
post #28 of 39 Old 05-29-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Why, it lets you exceed the 300gb monthly cap twice as fast as before....rolleyes.gif So you can get another 50gb added for an additional $10.

wink.gif

You could easily exceed the monthly cap with the slower plans so that is a silly argument. When you do want something downloaded or uploaded then more speed is better if you aren't wanting to wait. Also if your household has multiple users then more speed is better for concurrent connections.

For $10/month more I'll take double the speed.

And yes, the cap does suck.

post #29 of 39 Old 05-29-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Why, it lets you exceed the 300gb monthly cap twice as fast as before....rolleyes.gif So you can get another 50gb added for an additional $10.

wink.gif

You could easily exceed the monthly cap with the slower plans so that is a silly argument.

I was being silly. ;)

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #30 of 39 Old 06-01-2014, 06:31 PM

I just checked my account and got this message:

Cable Modem
Make & Model: MOTOROLA sb6120
Data Usage

We can't read your modem right now

Yipeeee for meeeee

I'm old.
Reply Computers and Parts Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page