• 1 Post By domz777

post #1 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Seagate 3TB HDD for $65 AR

Tiger Direct has a deal through Techbargans.com on a 3TB Segate internal, $65 after rebate, coupon code, and email code. It was about $69 with shipping!

TSD-3000AS2 :: Seagate ST3000DM001 Barracuda 7200.14 Hard Drive - 3TB, SATA III (6Gb/s), 3.5", 7200RPM, 64MB

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM/64MB Internal SATA Hard Drive $64.99AR.

You have to buy a ruler to get the final email code, so there's hoops, but it was easy for me. Go to techbargans.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Those drives are crap. I've had 4 and 2 have died. Not trying to dump on your thread but I've lost 6tb of data with those drives. They're probably fine for a backup that sits and only spins up for occasional use but if you want to put them in your server for 24/7 use pay extra for a NAS style drive IMO. I have some WD's, Hitachi's, and a Samsung that are 5+ years old and none of those Seagates have lasted a year yet, which 2 are waiting to die that aren't quite a year old yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 07-16-2014 at 04:23 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-26-2014, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Even tho this deal is long over, it'll probably come around again eventually, so for that reason I feel I should point out that my experience with these drives has been awesome. I have 4 of these in a gaming rig I built that sees CONSTANT use. It's on 24/7, serves off peak use as a seed box, and drives 2 gtx 780's. I do A LOT of giant file vid/photo work, so these drives are used a lot. The the os is only on a 90gig ssd, everything else, and I do mean everything else, is on these seagates. Haven't had so much as a hiccup, and I run with an open case. Access is spot on, there's no lag, I don't have a single complaint. maybe I'm just lucky, but I didn't buy all 4 drives at once, and I didn't buy them all from the same place, so it's not like I got 4 from an unusually good batch of drives, or something like that. I easily give these drives 5 stars!
tubetwister likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I also had terrible luck with Seagate ST3000DM001 drives. All three that I tried failed. I keep a dead one sitting on my desk as a reminder to never buy them again. I'm not a Seagate hater. I currently have three 2TB and seven 4TB Seagate drives in use and all of those drives are doing just fine. It's only the 3TB drives that I won't buy again.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Replaced an almost 3 yr old yr old failing Seagate Barracuda 750 GB 7200.12 with a 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.13 drive (64 vs 32 TB cache ) faster read writes and random seeks one of the faster metal drives, around good out of box lots of up time PC is on 24/7 (daily driver ,this one in fact ) no issues so far but then drive is only 6mo. old .

FWIW I've read the 7200.12 were much less reliable than newer 7200.13 drives can't speak to any other than 1TB 7200.13 though YMMV .
Was thinking about a 3TB - 4TB for addt'l media storage not so sure it will be Seagate after reading this thread though

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #6 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Was thinking about a 3TB - 4TB for addt'l media storage not so sure it will be Seagate after reading this thread though
I'm watching for deals on another 4TB or larger drive myself. If I find a good deal on a 4TB Seagate I'll buy it. I wouldn't risk putting my data on a 3TB Seagate even if it was free.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I'm watching for deals on another 4TB or larger drive myself. If I find a good deal on a 4TB Seagate I'll buy it. I wouldn't risk putting my data on a 3TB Seagate even if it was free.
Maybe I will do same and hang out for 4 TB Seagate . I've also only had the one Seagate 750GB fail after 3 yrs I've had more WD's fail
over the last ~25 years despite owning more Seagate hdd in all fairness I haven't used a WD for quite a few yrs might be different now . . It seems the 750GB 7200.12 were notoriously failure prone .
Maybe the 3TB 7200.13 is trying to claim that fame now ☺☺☺

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-27-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Reply Computers and Parts Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page