Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...3594900&loc=01

Press the setup button and then enter the code 9113 on the remote. A sub menu "configure player" pops up on the left. From there you can change the regions for DVD and BD. Converts PAL to NTSC and plays 50hz.

Last region free firmware
http://www.4shared.com/file/qRak_U8L..._B083_022.html

Firmware instructions
http://www.insigniaproducts.com/cms/...Dec%202010.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-20-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Awesome...thanks!
post #3 of 23 Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #4 of 23 Old 12-10-2011, 12:43 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks! I've been wanting a good (ok, passable) region-free player, and this will do nicely.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-10-2011, 06:01 PM

Thanks very much!
post #6 of 23 Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 AM
GPM

Liked: 14
Hmm, apparently not $40 everywhere: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...3594900&loc=01

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM

I guess you get what you pay for, but the player is rather finicky. It seems to lose the region setting easily, and this resetting makes it not want to go into standby mode with a disk in the player. It took several tries before I got it to work. It also doesn't seem to detect aspect ratios.

Still, until I save up for a region-free Oppo, this will do.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 AM

Got mine for the $39 deal. Picked it up last night. DOA. Going back tonight. Hopefully they'll give me store credit.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 PM

Ok, quick update:

The player deactivates the region setting menu once it's unplugged, so you'll need to re-enable it.

Before you can do so, you'll need to first go through quick setup. I'm not sure why, but until I did this, the code to activate the region selector menu didn't work.

And, for reference, to activate this menu, while on the main menu, press setup, then enter 9113. If that doesn't work, go through quick setup, and try again.

...If only so that I can get it back if I ever need to get the menu to show up again. I had a movie night over at my place tonight, and we had to skip the region 4 DVD that we had planned on because I couldn't figure it out in a timely manner.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

$40 today only
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...3594900&loc=01
post #11 of 23 Old 06-01-2012, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Back at $59.99, and shows as sold out. Missed it. Does this show up a lot?
post #12 of 23 Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 PM

Oh. I found out (at least) one more step:
You need to have at least attempted to load one disk after plugging it in to activate the region-free mode. A non-R1 disk is fine.

I found that out after moving the player today.
post #13 of 23 Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post

Oh. I found out (at least) one more step:
You need to have at least attempted to load one disk after plugging it in to activate the region-free mode. A non-R1 disk is fine.
I found that out after moving the player today.
So, what's the order of events?
post #14 of 23 Old 06-19-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have mine yet. I got it in order to play UK PAL disks, since I have 2 sets. I should have my Insignia within 2 weeks. Will probably have to flash appropriate firmware, I figure. Is there a way to see the firmware version without undergoing the flash process?
post #15 of 23 Old 06-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

So, what's the order of events?
1. Download and install the firmware to allow the region free setting
The next two steps can (probably) be completed in any order:
2. Attempt to play a disk (either successfully or getting an invalid region error)
3. Go through quick setup

Finally,
4. Setup button, followed by the code 9113

Step 1 only needs to be done once.
Steps 2 and 3 will need to be repeated if you unplug the player.
Step 4 will need to be repeated if you turn off the player.
post #16 of 23 Old 06-29-2012, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post

1. Download and install the firmware to allow the region free setting
The next two steps can (probably) be completed in any order:
2. Attempt to play a disk (either successfully or getting an invalid region error)
3. Go through quick setup
Finally,
4. Setup button, followed by the code 9113
Step 1 only needs to be done once.
Steps 2 and 3 will need to be repeated if you unplug the player.
Step 4 will need to be repeated if you turn off the player.
Thanks for these explicit instructions. I printed out the FW update instructions and copied your instructions verbatim at the bottom with a ball point pen and went at it last night.

The first Insignia NS-BRDVD4 I got was a brick. I sent it back and the seller sent me another. That seemed fine, two nights ago I played a BD and a DVD on it, listening to the audio from the L/R RCA jacks, which I have hooked up to the Tape-In jack of a small simple old receiver whose headphone jack has my earbuds... no problemo.

So, having established that this one works, I go to do the FW update last night, following your instructions. Reason I got this in the first place is that I have a couple of titles that my Sony S390 won't play, UK PAL (I believe), Life and Planet Earth series, bought from Amazon UK.

I install what I'm told is the last version of the FW that supports the region free menu activation: 20101015_NSBRDVD4_BBY_B083_022_21.iso. However, after doing so I don't have audio from the L/R analog audio jacks. I have no other versions of the FW, so I connect the Insignia to the internet via ethernet and install the latest FW: PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_33_BestBuy. The version that was on the player when I got it was evidently the previous one, PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_32_BestBuy, compare the versions:

PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_33_BestBuy [updated off internet yesterday]
PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_32_BestBuy [originally on player when I received it a few days ago]
PKG_DVD_3_2_022_02_RC_21_BestBuy [provided as region free version, linked in this thread, I believe]

Still, no audio from the L/R audio jacks. White noise during the update, afterward no audio either with BD or DVD's.

I flashed back the region free enabling FW, still no audio. I don't have a copy of the FW that was on it originally, so I can't flash it back, evidently the version previous to the latest. But with either of the other 2 versions I have no audio but even without the region free setting code having been applied, the Life and Planet Earth BDs seem to play fine, just no audio. Same with a plain DVD. Using the region free version and setting the BD region to B (which is what I think the Planet Earth set is), still does not provide analog audio. Sometimes I hear some relatively faint crackling in the earbuds.

I have to think that somehow the FW update process screwed up the player. Maybe there's a way to enable the audio. I looked in the menus, tried everything that halfway made sense to me including returning to factory defaults. Of course, I got the idea that I could try the digital audio, and ran optical S/PDIF to my AV receiver, and indeed that is working. And this is on the LATEST FW, not the region free firmware, playing the Planet Earth that my USA Sony S390 could not play. I'm baffled. I have my workaround for playing the disks (I can get my earbuds on my receiver's headphone out jack), but this isn't what I anticipated. Normally I don't even turn on my receiver when I watch things from my players. Comments, help much appreciated!
post #17 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 AM

There's probably something wrong with your player.
I have been running mine using just HDMI, but I tried the analog jacks this morning. My player is perfectly happy sending out analog audio without changing any options.
post #18 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, well the odd thing is (as I say) that it seemed 100% AOK until I flashed firmware. I hear a bit of a whir in the headphones that are connected to the analog audio when the disk is initializing (or something like that), maybe a bit of crackling if I turn up the volume, but not a hint of the actual audio on any disk I play. I could try downloading and flashing the firmware that was on it initially (I believe it's the version previous to the one the turns up with an internet connection), but I doubt it would work. I tried downloading that version a few days ago but for some reason the download failed. I guess I'll give that another try, nothing to lose, assuming the player doesn't go belly up completely! I wish now I'd bought from Best Buy, one of their site's refurb deals on this that come up frequently, evidently, because I believe that a warranty is in effect on those. They do not warrant these players when purchased from other than authorized sellers. Although my seller is a volume seller, I'm pretty confident it isn't authorized.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-25-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

This Insignia won't play files off your network?

Evidently, the ethernet is just for internet streaming services. Can't play files off a local network?

I'm investigating ripping DVD's, storing on media (e.g. my NAS), and playing with my projector. I have this Insignia BD player and also a Sony BDP-S390. The first rips I made (a couple) were with Makemkv and the containers have mpeg 2 video, but the Sony won't play them. It says the file is corrupt or unsupported. In the thread supporting the Sony it was suggested I change the extension from .mkv to .mpg, but that makes no difference. I could remux, get the content into a supported container, but am looking at my options.

I've been looking at the manual and my impression is possibly this Insignia will not play files on your network, but only from the USB port or a disk. Evidently, only Fat32 is supported on the USB port and Fat32 is limited to 4GB file sizes, so my e.g. 5+GB main movie rip is unplayable on the Insignia, well, unless I maybe burn that to a dual layer disk (don't want to). Am I right about this stuff, the Insignia can't play files off my network? The ethernet cable is just for streaming from internet streaming services, e.g. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, whoever? I've never done any of that stuff... TIA for information.

PS I bought this Insignia because:

1. I heard that it will play PAL disks (I've done that a few times)
2. It was cheap (used ~$40)

Last edited by Muse; 08-26-2014 at 06:12 AM.
post #21 of 23 Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Evidently, the ethernet is just for internet streaming services. Can't play files off a local network?

I'm investigating ripping DVD's, storing on media (e.g. my NAS), and playing with my projector. I have this Insignia BD player and also a Sony BDP-S390. The first rips I made (a couple) were with Makemkv and the containers have mpeg 2 video, but the Sony won't play them. It says the file is corrupt or unsupported. In the thread supporting the Sony it was suggested I change the extension from .mkv to .mpg, but that makes no difference. I could remux, get the content into a supported container, but am looking at my options.

I've been looking at the manual and my impression is possibly this Insignia will not play files on your network, but only from the USB port or a disk. Evidently, only Fat32 is supported on the USB port and Fat32 is limited to 4GB file sizes, so my e.g. 5+GB main movie rip is unplayable on the Insignia, well, unless I maybe burn that to a dual layer disk (don't want to). Am I right about this stuff, the Insignia can't play files off my network? The ethernet cable is just for streaming from internet streaming services, e.g. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, whoever? I've never done any of that stuff... TIA for information.

PS I bought this Insignia because:

1. I heard that it will play PAL disks (I've done that a few times)
2. It was cheap (used ~$40)
Nope. That's a lot to ask of a player that was discontinued 5 years ago. You should keep it handy for PAL and multi-region, but use your Sony for file playback (over DLNA, not network shares).
post #22 of 23 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Nope. That's a lot to ask of a player that was discontinued 5 years ago. You should keep it handy for PAL and multi-region, but use your Sony for file playback (over DLNA, not network shares).
Could you please explain this to me? What exactly is DLNA that it can't stream from network shares? What's the difference? I thought that DLNA was just a protocol for streaming from LAN's. I've so far not managed to watch movies I've ripped to MKV's stored on my NAS using the Sony. Says "The File is corrupt or not supported."
post #23 of 23 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Sony can't stream from network shares (i.e., \\muse_pc\e\movies), so your NAS must have a DLNA server that you've been using all along, but one that's incompatible with Sony. As a test, install Serviio on a PC, copy a movie to it, and try streaming that. If it works, you know your NAS server is the culprit. To fix that, in Serviio, just point to the files on your NAS, and everything will work. Either that or research the changes you need to make to get your NAS Sony compatible. Sony should be able to easily handle any MKV.

If you want a player that can stream directly from network shares, check out Panasonic. I think DLNA is a lot more user friendly though.
Reply Blu-ray Player Great Found Deals!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page