Pair of Acoustic Research AR-3a's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-18-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24

This is a pair of vintage AR-3a's, the top of the line in the '60's.    I bought these at the MIT Co-op in 1969,  just after I finished my post-doc and headed to a faculty position here at UC Berkeley.    I think they cost me $500 for the pair (a highly discounted price), a fortune (for me) back then.

For the last 30 yrs they've had light use, in our living room to provide 'background music' during parties, etc.    They still sound good, but of course might need some restoration work if one wants to drive them to a high level.    The cabinets had some water stains (my late wife put plants on top of them!), but I took some Old English conditioner and they totally disappeared.   The grill cloths do have some stain, however.   (There is much info on the web about replacing the grill cloths if this is something that is important to someone.)  

I know that some of you really like this vintage gear, but I would strongly recommend local pick up if at all possible, for it might come close to doubling the price if they have to be shipped very far.    These things are HEAVY, ~ 53 lbs each; they don't make them like this nowadays.

These now a a pending sale.   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

This is a pair of vintage AR-3a's, the top of the line in the '60's. These things are HEAVY, ~ 53 lbs each; they don't make them like this nowadays.

These are truly wonderful speakers. I owned a pair in the early seventies, and sold them only so that I could move up to the AR.LST's, which used same drivers, only more of them in each cabinet. The LST's served me well for nearly forty years, and just recently (two years ago) sold them for nearly as much as I had paid for them.

For anyone who may be interested in these exceptional speakers, there is an article dedicated to restoring them specifically at http://classicspeakerpages.net (be aware there is a similarly named ".org" that appears to have nothing to do with speakers.)

The full article link is http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #3 of 3 Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man, my father had set of these, and a set of the smaller ones (8 inch version i think) and we wound up throwing them away when he upgraded his system. They did sound great and he said that they cost him a small fortune when he bought them new (well, small fortune for back in those days) I really wish we would have kept them!
Reply Audio Gear

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page