Emotiva LPA-1: goes into protection, will not output audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By wlhungdude
  • 1 Post By wlhungdude

post #1 of 16 Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

This is NOT a working unit.

I am not a tech, but I really don't think it's a big-cost fix. Below is what I told Emotiva and their response.

Me:
"
I use (and have been for 4-5 years) a Yamaha receiver with pre-outs going to the LPA-1. With or without the power-on trigger cable connected, this is what happens:
- powers on, lights 1 through 7 turn on one after the other in red, then they all turn steady blue and I hear sound for 1 or 2 seconds, after which I hear the usual power-off "click," the sound goes off. After the power-off click, channel 6, 7 and the power button light blink together (6+7 blink red, power button blinks orange).

No connections are (have ever been) made to channels 6 and 7 on the LPA-1. Only channels 1 through 5 are being used.

I tried full power cycle with hard button on the back on and off, disconnect power, etc. Still same problem.
"

Emotiva email:
"per an email there is nothing unfortunately that can be recommended. We would need to test the LPA-1 here to determine the cause of the failure inside of the LPA-1"
Emotiva RMA ticket problem description:
"Goes into protection will not output audio"

Ideally, this will go to a Memphis, TN area. Local folk: cash is ok. We'll meet, you pay, you get theLPA-1.

If you're not local, I will ship it. It's ready to go in original double box. If you want it shipped, send me a FedEx label by email. If you want to figure out a shipper's quote, the origin zip is 38119, dimensions are 23"x23"x12" and the UPS label from 5 years ago says 76lbs!!!! For non-local buyers, you need to pay me through paypal. I'll email you my paypal email address.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radu View Post

Hi,

This is NOT a working unit.

I am not a tech, but I really don't think it's a big-cost fix. Below is what I told Emotiva and their response.

Me:
"
I use (and have been for 4-5 years) a Yamaha receiver with pre-outs going to the LPA-1. With or without the power-on trigger cable connected, this is what happens:
- powers on, lights 1 through 7 turn on one after the other in red, then they all turn steady blue and I hear sound for 1 or 2 seconds, after which I hear the usual power-off "click," the sound goes off. After the power-off click, channel 6, 7 and the power button light blink together (6+7 blink red, power button blinks orange).

No connections are (have ever been) made to channels 6 and 7 on the LPA-1. Only channels 1 through 5 are being used.

I tried full power cycle with hard button on the back on and off, disconnect power, etc. Still same problem.
"

Emotiva email:
"per an email there is nothing unfortunately that can be recommended. We would need to test the LPA-1 here to determine the cause of the failure inside of the LPA-1"
Emotiva RMA ticket problem description:
"Goes into protection will not output audio"

Ideally, this will go to a Memphis, TN area. Local folk: cash is ok. We'll meet, you pay, you get theLPA-1.

If you're not local, I will ship it. It's ready to go in original double box. If you want it shipped, send me a FedEx label by email. If you want to figure out a shipper's quote, the origin zip is 38119, dimensions are 23"x23"x12" and the UPS label from 5 years ago says 76lbs!!!! For non-local buyers, you need to pay me through paypal. I'll email you my paypal email address.

Cheers!

PM'D you.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, folks,

This is pretty funny. Me again.

I got two responses from this offer:
one after only a couple of days, but the member here never followed up;
one almost two months after the original thread which I never saw until today.

I had quit watching the thread. I will leave this open and stay logged in for a few days.

My wife is in decluttering mode.

Again.

So, the box has been in the same place packed up and ready to go for 3 years. Ha.

If you want this, make me an offer. Then we paypal, then you send me FedEx or UPS label. Then I ship. Unless you're Memphis local, in which case we can meet up.

NOTHING has changed in the listing above, besides that we're all three years older now.

Cheers,
Radu
post #4 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I think you might have more luck if you list a selling price to give people some idea of what your bottom line is. As is, you're leaving it to others to make offers, which I understand you think you can maximize your profit since you're not giving people a bottom line to shoot for. But you've seen how that worked out, two offers with no follow up in 3 years. You either want it sold or you don't, but it's not doing anything for you packed up in a box for three years. JMO.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-03-2016, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know what it's worth.

But I guess you're right.

$50 gets it.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Hmmmm... I'll play...

I'll pay shipping back to Emotiva, and we let them check it out.... send it back in your name, with a friendly reminder you let them know of the problem 3 years ago... maybe they'll be amenable to letting you know what's wrong and what'll they charge to fix it.... then, if it it's worth it to me, I pay the repair charge to them and the $50 to you.

If it's cheap (or free, it might happen) and you want it back, re-imburse me the shipping charges to them ,plus $1 to me .... nah, just give the extra buck to the Salvation Army, reimburse me, keep the working amp, and we move on... no risk to you, and a problem solved. If it's expensive, or un-repairable, tell them to pound sand and keep it, and make the 'Sally Donation' enough to cover the shipping costs, plus the extra dollar.

Worst case you're out $1 more than what you should've spent shipping it back to them 3 years ago. Worst case for me is I make another donation to the Salvation Army... a very worthwile cause in it's own right. Better than supporting Goodwill and their $6 million/ year CEO.... bitch taking advantage of the poor, whore, IMO, of course..

let me know...
Joseph
magic bus likes this.

mods, can we have a 'dislike' button ?

Last edited by wlhungdude; 01-04-2016 at 10:34 PM. Reason: to clarify that a woman taking over $15,000 a DAY from an organization started to help those in need, is a whore, IMO only
post #7 of 16 Old 01-05-2016, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
PM'd you.
Jamar
post #8 of 16 Old 01-05-2016, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Joseph,

That might be a good idea, shipping to Emotiva to get an idea of what'll cost to fix it for its next owner.

I'll pm you.

Jamar, I got your PM. I think Joseph's idea is the best.

I have one more member interested that I'm still waiting to hear from. (This is not me trying to make you think more peeps are interested. Just one).

P.S. I give a LOT to Goodwill. No idea about their CEO's making so much money.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

I am interested. But I have no idea how to send a pre-paid label. Easier for me to mail a check. or cash... I wasn't really concerned with the details... until tonight, when MY Onkyo 818 died !!! deep breaths....

I'll still do what I said... send another PM with an address to send a check, from my bank, via Bill-pay. No cost to me or you.... just tell me what the shipping will be, and consider it done. Like you said via pm... Memphis (ish) to Nashville (ish) wont be much, and another couple days, after 3 years.... . I never thought it would be a huge expense for shipping., . Just let me know... here or via PM.

Yes, Goodwill is very poorly rated as to how much of each dollar donated actually 'rolls through', after "expenses" and "administrative costs" are factored in. Dont take my word for it... Google is our friend.

Joseph

post #10 of 16 Old 01-13-2016, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Update: Emotiva should get the LPA-1 tomorrow, check it out and tell me what's wrong and how much to fix it.

I will update then.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-13-2016, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Just let me know, we'll go from there. We should just take it to PM's instead of bumping other members' listings down

post #12 of 16 Old 01-20-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 865
You could move it to PM's, but this is fun and I'm curious as to how it all turns out! Will one of you update when the whole shebang is over?
post #13 of 16 Old 01-20-2016, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agree... Love to know how this plays out
post #14 of 16 Old 02-01-2016, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

well, i paid $35 to have it shipped to Emotiva, only to find out now they charge $75 for inspection.

I'll let them have it. I don't want it back. No use for it and don't want to spend more money on it.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

I really don't need it, but the offer should be extended to all.... if anyone else would like to 'take over' and pay Emotiva the insp. fee, and the shipping costs, 'ownership' can be easily 'transferred'.

$75 to Emotiva, and $35 to radu.... any takers??

I don't know if Emo would apply the inspection fee toward the repair, but could sway the decision...
hlnoiku likes this.

Last edited by wlhungdude; 02-01-2016 at 07:11 PM.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-08-2016, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Emotiva should've just include the $75 inspection fee to the whole repair cost. come on emotiva!

PS3 - PS4 - Kodi HTPC - 6TB Seagate NAS
Marantz AV7702 - Emotiva XPA5 - Adcom GFA555ii
(2)Polk RTi12, CSi5, (4)RTi4, (2)MFW-15 subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page