Onkyo TX-NR818 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 566
I bought this less than two weeks ago. I already own a Onkyo TX-NR1007. I thought this would be an upgrade with the much touted Audyssey multieq XT32. I found I don't care for MultiEQ XT32 any more than I care for MultiEQ XT (which is what I have now.) That is to say I don't care for it at all in my room - so I'll just stay with my TX-NR1007 which is more feature laden, and has a beefier amp section with the THX Ultra II rating.

Why don't I like Audyssey? It seems to bump the treble too much for my tastes in my tile floor room with no treatments. I hate excessive treble. I've had three receivers with Audyssey -- The SR805, the NR1007, and now the NR818. They all do it. I don't like it. I run Audyssey to set my distances and then turn it off. Thus I have no use for this new receiver since I don't like what it does to my sound with XT32.

$700 to anyone in the lower 48 states. Shipping included. It is about 1 week old. Absolutely perfect mint condition. I'll obviously include everything it came with. I do have a paypal account. I also have an ebay account called archaeantrader. I have 350+ feedback -- current 100% positive.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Before you sell, have you considered busting out some room treatments and a throw rug or something?

Good deal and awesome seller here though!
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have two cats that chew on carpet/rugs and occassionally pee on them. Thus we have no rugs in the whole house. We've tried multiple times. No good. Luckily we have nice hardwood floors - so it's okay.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #4 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 719
I have the same problem with excess treble in my room. I own the Onkyo TX-NR3007 and use the global Re-EQ function to bring down the upper end. Maybe try that before dumping this new one.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Scott, what is that? I don't even think I've seen that in the options?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Have you checked with the omnimic to see what specific upper frequencies are being boosted by Audyssey? I'm just curious because I've discovered that I'm very sensitive to the 2-4khz range and like those brought down a couple db's.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Scott, what is that? I don't even think I've seen that in the options?

Lol. Check your manual. wink.gif

Easy way to enable is to push the 'audio' button on the remote and cycle through the options. It will come up and it's a simple on/off. Try it on. It's especially helpful when watching movies at high spl/near reference when things start to sound nasty on the top end. Enabling this has allowed me to actually listen closer to reference now without the fatigue.

Re-EQ should be on by default whenever using any of the THX modes unless you have disabled it yourself and turned off the mode to 'preserve THX settings'. Oh wait.... this one doesn't have THX, does it? Still... there should be an Re-EQ function. I hope. redface.gif

It will DEFINITELY be an option on your 1007. wink.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #8 of 9 Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Lol. Check your manual. wink.gif
Easy way to enable is to push the 'audio' button on the remote and cycle through the options. It will come up and it's a simple on/off. Try it on. It's especially helpful when watching movies at high spl/near reference when things start to sound nasty on the top end. Enabling this has allowed me to actually listen closer to reference now without the fatigue.
Re-EQ should be on by default whenever using any of the THX modes unless you have disabled it yourself and turned off the mode to 'preserve THX settings'. Oh wait.... this one doesn't have THX, does it? Still... there should be an Re-EQ function. I hope. redface.gif
It will DEFINITELY be an option on your 1007. wink.gif

When you mention Re EQ are you referring to bringing down the reference levels?
post #9 of 9 Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I sold the NR818 to stitch1 for $630.

I'm not a big fan of Audyssey. stitch1 and I spent hours last night turning Audyssey on and off listening to it back and forth. he liked it. I didn't.

He said he felt it had more midbass with Audyssey on. I said it sounded like someone boosted the treble by 4dB. Most voices sound like snakes hissing with Audyssey on to me. Music mode sounds horrible - it boosts treble by an additional 3dB or so (IIRC) over movie mode. Movie mode is better but still boosted the treble beyond my tolerance. During our movie watching section flipping it on and off neither of us could tell much difference, so the difference was noticed primarily in music. (we tried all genre's of music).

We graphed it on and off a dozen times. My synopsis was correct. Audyssey primarily boosts treble in my room - by about 5dB in movie mode and more in music. eek.gif I'll post some graphs this evening if I have a chance --- this week for sure. We used the full eight capture points in a mid room, small three seat bubble, with a tripod.

It may be my untreated room, it may be my ears --- but I don't like what Audyssey does to any of five sets of speakers (Crystal Acoustic, JTR Triple 8, ED Cinema 12, JTR Noesis, and Wharfedale) I've tried in my room on three different Onkyo Receivers (SR805, NR1007, NR818). stitch1 liked it --- so your mileage will may vary based on whether you like snakes or not. tongue.gifwink.gif

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Reply Audio Gear

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page