Sale pending... Onkyo TX-NR809 THX Certified 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receive (Basically NEW!) (NJ, NYC, Philly) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I just bought this OPEN BOX Onkyo TX-NR809 on April 16, 2013. The receiver is new and it did not look like it has ever been out of the box until two days ago (when I finally got around to audition it).

The box was clearly shipped somewhere else because the old shipping tags had been torn off the box (you can probably see the pictures).

The only thing that was open was the packet with the booklet and manuals... and there was no "user manual" but there is a CD ROM and all sorts of other documentation and stuff. I did not open anything else, the remote is still in the plastic bag, never used the cal mic, nor the power cord. Everything is new!

I was looking to replace a Sony STR-DA5400ES and grabbed an open box deal from Amazon on the TX-NR809. The Sony replaced an Onkyo TX-SR508 which I sold on this forum. The Sony is older but it is a monster! I saw my friend get an 809 and the price was so good I had to try it.

I wanted to see if it can musically outperform my Sony, specifically at 2ch playback because I put more emphasis on music listening than anything else. I don't care much for 4k or 7.2 and networking, since I don't have a $15,000 4k TV, nor space for more than a 5.1, and I buy my music in the form of SACDs and CDs.

Over the past two days I did an out of the box listening session and than I let the receiver burn in for about 24 hours at maybe around -20db (pretty mellow). Than I did my critical listening session tonight and unfortunately/fortunately I will be keeping my Sony STR-DA5400ES. Musically the Sony outperforms the Onkyo no doubt. There is much more detail in the Sony, vocals are clearer, chimes roll off better, stage is fuller yet each instrument has it's own place. Now the Onkyo did very well and it did have a better and richer bass, it handled the lower frequencies better and when the vocals hit high notes it also performed extremely good. Throughout the whole range the Onkyo did not miss a beat thanks to it's better power supply (that's where that THX cert comes in). The two units were close and you will enjoy your music, have in mind that the STR-DA5400ES is extremely well reviewed musically as an "audiophile receiver" and it cost 2x the price of the Onkyo when new.

However I will tell you right now that the Onkyo will beat the sony for Home Theater hands down, and I don't even have to test it. The bass was really powerful, deep and tight and overall very excellent sound quality. The price/performance ratio is hands down unbeatable I think.

The 809 was such a good deal (MSRP $1100 but retails now around $600-$650) with so many features that I couldn't pass the opportunity. It has 4k Upsampling, TXH Cert, 7.2, Networking

Here are the Specs for the Onkyo TX-NR809

At a glance:
- 135W per channel @8Ohm! This Spec is not BS like in the other Receivers, The 809 has a 710W Power Supply with a draw of up to 7.5A!
-THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) 0.08% (20 Hz-20 kHz, Half power)
-Frequency Response 5 Hz-100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (Direct Mode)
-Signal-to-Noise Ratio 110 dB (Line, IHF-A)
- THX Certified
- 4-Ohm Certified
- True HD, DD Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio
- 192k/24bit Burr-Brown DACs
- Audyssey DSX
- 7 Analog Inputs
- 7.1 Analog Input Multichannel IN)
- 7.2 Analog Preamp out
- HDMI I/O 8(7+1)/2
- 1080p upscaling
- 4k upscaling
- Zone 2 (Powered!)
- iPod via USB!
- Streaming Audio Form PC or USB
- Ethernet
- Wireless Network Ready via USB (optional adapter)
- Weight 40lb!!!!

Price: $499 + S&H (pickup is free of course)
Optional (but recommended): Insurance 2-yr $34.99 (Square Trade $300-$400 price range)

Also, there are no returns on this unit once you pull the trigger. Only upon request I can test all of the HDMI/Audio inputs and the 5.1ch Speaker Out on my system. It will ship in the original box with all the contents it came with. There is no insurance from Onkyo since it is open box.

If there are no takers this unit will be sent back to Amazon on the 15th of May.

PM me. I have credible eBay account and you should too.

Thanks for looking.
Reply Audio Gear

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page