WANTED Danley SH64 or larger LCR or pair!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 16 Unread 07-16-2014, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 95
WANTED Danley SH64 or larger LCR or pair!!!!

I have been searching for months for some SH-64s without any luck so here I am.

I've never heard any of their SH line so possibly would settle for the SH-50s with an impressive demo and right price but honestly looking to buy my last set of LCRs so SH-64s and larger are my main interests.

Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Unread 07-17-2014, 07:12 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Why the 64? I absolutely LOVE the 50's. They will be the last speaker you ever buy should you find any of the synergy horns. There is a guy that was on here sellingan entire setup of Danley but I don't think he is keen on splitting the package up. He has been trying to sell for over a year now so might give it a shot.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #3 of 16 Unread 07-17-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm just wanting the larger bass drivers is why I'm more interested in the 64s over the 50s. I've read just about everything you've wrote about the sh50/sm60 and would most likely be perfectly happy with the 50s but I'm taking all my subs off the front baffle wall so running stereo will be effortless without running the attic IB with the 64s is what I'm thinking. But we all know I'll add the IB at times as well so might as well call it overkill.

I've seen some SH50s listed by the pair for sale for quite a while and the system you mentioned but if can find 64s used they would be worth the extra money to me.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 07-17-2014 at 12:39 PM.
post #4 of 16 Unread 07-17-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

But I do wonder what the sound difference is in the mid/high range since the 50s use 4-5" drivers with 1" CD and the 64s use 4-4" with the 1.4"CD which some say isn't as smooth or something.

There haven't been any comparisons between the sh50/sm60 against the 64 or larger units. My ears probably would only notice any change in mid range and hope the 64s excel their even with the 4" instead of 5" that's in the 50s?!?
post #5 of 16 Unread 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I'm going to be selling my SM60F's soon. If you want to get an idea of what the "baby" Danley sounds like, it would be a relatively inexpensive way to do it. I call them "baby", but they have as much output as I want in my room. They go really friggin' loud. In a blind shootout I preferred them over my JTR 212 Noesis. And still do.
post #6 of 16 Unread 07-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
But I do wonder what the sound difference is in the mid/high range since the 50s use 4-5" drivers with 1" CD and the 64s use 4-4" with the 1.4"CD which some say isn't as smooth or something.

There haven't been any comparisons between the sh50/sm60 against the 64 or larger units. My ears probably would only notice any change in mid range and hope the 64s excel their even with the 4" instead of 5" that's in the 50s?!?
Tom will still tell you the 50 is his flagship and favorite of all the designs. The bottom end extends actually a little further than the 64, and the top end runs a little further out as well. The 64 has more output, but I would guess is not quite as refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I'm going to be selling my SM60F's soon. If you want to get an idea of what the "baby" Danley sounds like, it would be a relatively inexpensive way to do it. I call them "baby", but they have as much output as I want in my room. They go really friggin' loud. In a blind shootout I preferred them over my JTR 212 Noesis. And still do.
Where ya headed to next man? No more Danleys then what?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #7 of 16 Unread 07-17-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Where ya headed to next man? No more Danleys then what?
Nah, not going anywhere! I'm getting custom veneers done, so I'm selling the two I have and getting three more.

That is, of course, assuming that after my upcoming in-room SM60F vs. SH50 comparo that I don't order SH50's instead . I have to do the comparo to satisfy the "what if" that's in my head right now.
post #8 of 16 Unread 07-17-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea but the only thing that worries me is the mid bass with the 50s. That's my main reason to upgrade since listening over 125dbs with the triple 8s lacks the 80-200hz umph where I believe the 64s would shine over the 50s? This is just by looking at the spec graphs on DSL site. The 50s fr looks more like a house curve that many incorporate with their subs.

Would the 64s be capable of "say" shifting that curve (making it cover from 70hz to 200hz)really flat or a small curve without much if any EQ?
post #9 of 16 Unread 07-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Nah, not going anywhere! I'm getting custom veneers done, so I'm selling the two I have and getting three more.

That is, of course, assuming that after my upcoming in-room SM60F vs. SH50 comparo that I don't order SH50's instead . I have to do the comparo to satisfy the "what if" that's in my head right now.
Oh boy! Please keep me in the loop on how that goes! Awesome to compare the two! Reef brought the 60f's down for my last meet but we ran out of time to toss them back in just for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Yea but the only thing that worries me is the mid bass with the 50s. That's my main reason to upgrade since listening over 125dbs with the triple 8s lacks the 80-200hz umph where I believe the 64s would shine over the 50s? This is just by looking at the spec graphs on DSL site. The 50s fr looks more like a house curve that many incorporate with their subs.

Would the 64s be capable of "say" shifting that curve (making it cover from 70hz to 200hz)really flat or a small curve without much if any EQ?
Eh, even the 60f had ample midbass IMO, and I like it pretty hot in that area. Seems to me like you need to make a trip over to Asheville and have a demo I assure you the midbass even on the 50's is pretty impressive, almost visceral, without any EQ whatsoever. It's not even comparable to the T8's. PM me if you want to discuss further

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #10 of 16 Unread 07-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 995
It was only a matter of time. Triple8's were a good way in.... but now you're in too deep.

So why not add midbass to the Danley's? That's like... pretty easy.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #11 of 16 Unread 07-18-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
It was only a matter of time. Triple8's were a good way in.... but now you're in too deep.

So why not add midbass to the Danley's? That's like... pretty easy.
See, that's something you might find easy but for someone like me that doesn't even understand how a baffle affects the sound, it's another story. Just thinking out loud here but I'd have to add an mid bass enclosure either above or below the SH50 in this scenario, correct? And aren't the synergy designs constructed in a manner that places all the sound at the mouth? How would adding above or below affect their performance?
post #12 of 16 Unread 07-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Bass Enabler

Ah okay. I forget you're changing up your baffle. A little off topic but why? It looked perfect.

If you're just using them as MBM's with your Danley's and crossed low enough I don't see any issue at all.

I guess I should get myself all caught up on what you're doing and trying to achieve because you had the ultimate front stage with a bajillion 21's and stuff.

Did you move?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #13 of 16 Unread 07-18-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Ah okay. I forget you're changing up your baffle. A little off topic but why? It looked perfect.

If you're just using them as MBM's with your Danley's and crossed low enough I don't see any issue at all.

I guess I should get myself all caught up on what you're doing and trying to achieve because you had the ultimate front stage with a bajillion 21's and stuff.

Did you move?
What kind of range would the MBMs need to cover for that awesome mid bass slam (140db+)? I would guess 60/70hz-250hz? Honestly I have no idea when trying to implement a separate cabinet with the danleys, none at all?

Yeah. Going to go IB. I have plenty of power with my sealed array but the FR is just awful. It would suite 99% of people but if want to get crazy I have to bypass the EQ. The front row is great but lots of room for improvement with correct placement of the subs in attic and possibly 4(2 baffles) on the front wall.

You saw where I was able to get the FR nice below 80hz down to 10hz but it literally used too much EQ and limited output (even though its mostly headroom it isn't 100% of the time).

I have to redo the entire baffle wall when replace the 888s no matter what so might as well get rid of the sub array while at it. Thinking add at minimum 4 24"ers too since will have power for IB scenario.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 07-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.
post #14 of 16 Unread 07-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Bass Enabler

Did you ever try (or use) subwoofers anywhere else in the room? I have had similar issues so I am redoing my subwoofer stack and doing more of a baffle wall. Also I will place two DO subs right behind the couch.

Have you tried anything like this? It seems like this is the best of both worlds. Up front baffle and nearfield intensity. This might work for you. Maybe you could just move two of the ten subs to the rear of the room? Sounds like it would save a ton of work and construction.

Lol sorry for so much discussion. I like how your room was set up.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #15 of 16 Unread 07-18-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I probably edited the MBM questions while you were replying. Check out my first paragraph.

Will pm sub convo since an added MBM to sh50s convo suites some of us crazies. I know your mid bass has to be great!
post #16 of 16 Unread 08-20-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i have a pair of SH64 for sale in NYC

PM me for more info.
Reply Audio Gear