Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Talking Wanted: Mouse that roared- Minimus 1 Speaker

Hi All,
I am a true audiophile, have been since I was a pre-teen. I remember the first set of speakers that my dad helped me to buy were the Minimus 1's Radio Shack had them on sale in their flyer for $39.95 for the pair in the summer of 69 ( regularly $59.95 !)...I loved those little guys. That was 45 glorious summers ago and I would like to find a pair that are functioning well, clean, nice grill cloths with logo( with boxes would be oh so nice). Although my attic is filled with everything from amps, reel to reels, phonos, tube radios etc.... and speakers galore... I love to restore and rehab this stuff... I always had and have a special place for the Minimus 1. So if anyone has a pair lurking about ( Radio Shack Catalog #40-1966) please let me know.I would be eternally grateful, thanking you in advance, Garloo

the Minimus 1 is on page 44
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1970_small/

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...bFLJ_GuwYg.jpg

Last edited by Garloo57; 08-29-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 392
There is a pair on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Realistic-MI...-/291230404397

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-01-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the link...I had already been in contact with the seller on eBay and finally worked out a deal.I was a bit hesitant at first as one of the speakers had a small "chunk" taken out of it on the rear lower corner, but the damage was probably not that bad and with a little color match and filling would probably be ok. obviously the defect is magnified because the speaker is small so really anything would appear at least at first glance significant. I was also advised that the speaker sounded good and didnt appear to be pushed.

per the seller to my inquiries:

The speakers sounded decent, I doubt they have been pushed. They were probably mint the day before I purchased them, the store that had them did the damage. The damaged corner is repairable, it looks big because the speaker is small. Replacing the veneer to match the other one would be the real challenge, most likely both would have to be done. I had to glue the back on the damaged one because it loosened at the corner, it is solid now. The one speaker cabinet is nice, the grilles are both nice(with logos) I almost replaced the tweeter xover caps, the treble seemed a bit "tinny" and bright. It is up to you if you like the challenge of restoring them at least you do not need to look at ebay for a year to find parts.
Joel

Anyways...I will see how they sound and look soon.. also if anyone else has a pair (or two !) that they would like to part with.. I will be all ears...

By the way, being a great movie buff I can only drool and wish I had the space for such a superb theater!!
post #4 of 4 Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garloo57 View Post
Thanks for the link...I had already been in contact with the seller on eBay and finally worked out a deal.I was a bit hesitant at first as one of the speakers had a small "chunk" taken out of it on the rear lower corner, but the damage was probably not that bad and with a little color match and filling would probably be ok. obviously the defect is magnified because the speaker is small so really anything would appear at least at first glance significant. I was also advised that the speaker sounded good and didnt appear to be pushed.

per the seller to my inquiries:

The speakers sounded decent, I doubt they have been pushed. They were probably mint the day before I purchased them, the store that had them did the damage. The damaged corner is repairable, it looks big because the speaker is small. Replacing the veneer to match the other one would be the real challenge, most likely both would have to be done. I had to glue the back on the damaged one because it loosened at the corner, it is solid now. The one speaker cabinet is nice, the grilles are both nice(with logos) I almost replaced the tweeter xover caps, the treble seemed a bit "tinny" and bright. It is up to you if you like the challenge of restoring them at least you do not need to look at ebay for a year to find parts.
Joel

Anyways...I will see how they sound and look soon.. also if anyone else has a pair (or two !) that they would like to part with.. I will be all ears...

By the way, being a great movie buff I can only drool and wish I had the space for such a superb theater!!
Cool man. Glad you found em. I remember saving my money as a kid and going to silo and bought my first cd player. It was a technics and I recently threw it it away and I wished I did not now. I loved that player, it still worked 28 years later when i tossed it. I had Scott speakers and a old kenwood receiver. I remember jamming out in my room and the new cd player made it all better. I even rember setting it up and running it through an old betamax for a little home theater in my room. It has always been in my blood. Although I have no desire to ever go back to that set up, I still loved it. Oddly enough I was window shopping with my wife in a quaint little town here and I went into a store and oddly enough they had the same kenwood tuner I had growing up. It was still working and they were using it for the store music. I thought about making an offer on it, but I really had no use for it. I know it is still probably in that store, maybe if we mossy on by there again I will make a run at it.

Ps I also seen an email in a thread that somebody posted in an audio forum. It was over a year ago but he said he had a pair, just contact him. I myself don't feel comfortable doing that, but if you want the link, I will give it to you. Lmk!

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

Reply Audio Gear

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page