AVS Forum banner
  • You have not yet participated enough to use the Marketplace

FS: Two Gjallarhorn Subwoofers in Iowa

6K views 74 replies 21 participants last post by  dsl1 
#1 · (Edited)
For Sale: Two Gjallarhorn Subwoofers with TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400s finished with Duratex

Data-Bass Details: http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=45

Build thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1465617-triple-gjallarhorn-othorn-build.html

Price: $3500 $2950 for the pair

Location: Fairfield, Iowa - local pickup only / can maybe arrange to meet you halfway somewhere. Enclosures are ~220# + 80# driver and dimensions are 45x45x24.

Finished Photos: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-gjallarhorn-othorn-build-4.html#post23226878

They were rarely used and are in great condition. Moved into a new house and unfortunately don't have the space for them, so will be making another sub plan.

EDIT 1/30/17: SOLD

#6 ·
If I didn't already have my Seaton Terraforms, I would be all over these. These subs are great!

@lukeamdman No way this makes sense for me correct?
Unfortunately not. Without the Seatons we could easily integrate them with the othorns but i don't think we could make all 3 work.

#19 ·
My worst case scenario was to turn them into a part of a bed frame and then I can claim I have the best bedroom sub system on AVS ;)

#26 ·
Not sure what you mean by "how" I'm using them. I have them corner loaded in tge back of my room. They are running off a prolite 7.5. I don't proclaim to know much about this stuff so I'm sure it's just setup that is causing my disappointment. Luke and I were planning a day to measure and setup but haven't done so. I was very impressed at Luke's too, hence why I bought them.

#29 ·
I just got a umik from Luke so that'll be the next focus, but again, I'm still a beginner. I don't have my theater started yet either so they are in a random corner. I know these things are power houses so I'm 90% sure it's setup and 10% of me never being satisfied :)

#30 ·
You likely don't want the too close to the corner and may perform better if you face them left or right instead of facing forward. If you have rew and the calibrated umik, should be enough to run some sweeps to see frequency response. The frequency range of the ghorn is quite good from 15 hz to 25 hz.

#34 · (Edited)
~15 - ~65Hz is their strongest range. Perhaps even up to 70 or 80 hz according to data-bass.com

You guys kill me running your capable subs on such limited bands.

An octave is a doubling of hz. An octave is 8 major notes on a piano (think white notes on a piano. A, B, C, D, E, F, G)

If you are running less than an octave (15hz to 25hz) you're putting less than eight major notes through the subwoofer. That makes no sense to me. 😳

#33 ·
#39 ·
I was just talking to Luke about this @Archaea. I was running my gs up to 80hz or 100hz but was having odd issues where if I would run both ots and gs, I would be down 1 or so dB on sweeps. I would get louder if it was just my ots. I corrected it by putting the low pass back to 30hz. I need to learn about phases and rew.

#41 ·
Ghorn rings above 60hz so best cross before for tighter sound, it's not spl as much as transient response. The othorn on other hand excels at 60hz, lots of impact and clean output so crossing the lower ghorns to othorns is a winning combo.

Otherwise you could try to integrate with sealed subs.

Generally output above 60hz isn't the concern - as you go higher in frequency the more sensitive you are to accuracy. You can't run subs +12db hot 60hz+ like you can below 60hz, it sounds funny and worse (too boomy)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.