FS: Pioneer Elite SC-85 11.2 Atmos Receiver AVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-25-2017, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 83
FS: Pioneer Elite SC-85 11.2 Atmos Receiver AVR

First of all, the Pioneer Elite MCACC systems completely blow away the Audyssey systems in every way. I know most people love Audyssey but that is because they have never experienced MCACC. Pioneer Elite receivers are truly the best AVR's in the world.

I purchased this for $1,199 one year ago. Please note, Pioneer advertises this is a 9.2ch receiver however it has 11.2 preamp outs and 11 speaker outs.

MCACC can recognize and let you correct for standing waves, it can EQ multiple listening positions

-175w RMS @ 4ohms per channel (220w @ 4ohms 1%)
-True dual LFE sub outs with independent distance, eq and level adjustment
-11 channels speaker out and 11.2ch pre-outs
-3 Zones
-3 Hdmi Outputs/8 HDMI in ( can run to 3 diff zones out)
-Built in LAN
-4k and 3D compatible
-4k upconversion option
-4kx2k output
-Dolby Atmos and NeoX
-Standing Wave Control
-6 MCACC memory presets switchable on the fly, can store different EQ's, channel levels, distances, phase control, reverb, etc
-Direct and Pure Direct modes
-Dolby Surround up-converts 5.1 content to Atmos
-Built in Pandora
-Media Server input
-Bluetooth capable
-MHL and Roku input
-Ability to turn off speaker terminals/amplifiers when preouts are used to save power i.e. the AVR can power your surround speakers while your amps power the LR and C channels. You can then turn off the LR and C amps in the AVR to save power and lower the noise floor. You can also shut off all the amps internally and just use the pre outs

The Elite AVR's are known to put out their rated power specs even with all channels running, for example with a 5.1 setup @ 4ohms, you will get a true 175w per channel with all channels driven with less than .08% distortion. With most AVR's, say they are rated to 760w, you might be lucky to get 250w with multiple channels running. Not with the Elites. The Elites have been tested to put out their rated power in multi-channel mode. Given this, you may not need separate power amps for your surrounds to reach reference level as I do not.

PM with name and phone number. I have many references avail on the forums. $500 shipped firm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-25-2017, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Please note, Pioneer advertises this is a 9.2ch receiver however it has 11.2 preamp outs and 11 speaker outs.
I have this receiver, and I just want to point out that the processing power is limited to 9.2, even though it has pre-outs and terminals for 11 channels. You basically just pick between Front Wide or Front Height, if chosen to be used at all. Apologies if this is what you meant and I misinterpreted.

FWIW, this is an excellent receiver. I've been using mine for just over a year and it hasn't had ANY issues, though I'm looking to move up the 95 soon. GLWS!

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
7.1.4 - Marantz SR6011 - LG B6 - HTD Level 3 - PSA S3000i
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Roku Ultra
58 UHD and counting...
post #3 of 11 Old 04-08-2017, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
I have this receiver, and I just want to point out that the processing power is limited to 9.2, even though it has pre-outs and terminals for 11 channels. You basically just pick between Front Wide or Front Height, if chosen to be used at all. Apologies if this is what you meant and I misinterpreted.

FWIW, this is an excellent receiver. I've been using mine for just over a year and it hasn't had ANY issues, though I'm looking to move up the 95 soon. GLWS!
Incorrect, it can process 11 channels. 4 Ceiling, 4 Surround, 3 Front

post #4 of 11 Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozen View Post
Incorrect, it can process 11 channels. 4 Ceiling, 4 Surround, 3 Front
Hmm, I don't doubt your claim, then. Just curious as I failed to enable processing beyond 9.2 channels, whether it was 5.x.4, 7.x.2, or 5.x/7.x + Bi-Amp or Zone 2/3 options. Never did I encounter anything to allow the addition of an external amp to expand the surround field. The user manual also doesn't make any mention of processing beyond 9 channels (pages 27-31, 84, 104). On page 39, there is a graphic that shows how to connect external amps to all 11 sets of pre-outs, but per my understanding, you will not be able to utilize all 11 at the same time.

This is per my understanding, and I've combed through the entire manual and several other articles and reviews, including @imagic own review here.

Were you able to successfully process 11 channels with the SC-85 (7.x.4)? If so, please tell me how! I sold mine off and got a Marantz 6011 recently, which I have in a 7.1.4 config with an external amp driving the second pair of heights. I wanted something that was DTS:X compatible, so the SC-85 was on its way out, anyway. But had I known I had the ability to do the same thing with the 85, I would have held on to it a bit longer.

58 UHD and counting...
post #5 of 11 Old 04-08-2017, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
Hmm, I don't doubt your claim, then. Just curious as I failed to enable processing beyond 9.2 channels, whether it was 5.x.4, 7.x.2, or 5.x/7.x + Bi-Amp or Zone 2/3 options. Never did I encounter anything to allow the addition of an external amp to expand the surround field. The user manual also doesn't make any mention of processing beyond 9 channels (pages 27-31, 84, 104). On page 39, there is a graphic that shows how to connect external amps to all 11 sets of pre-outs, but per my understanding, you will not be able to utilize all 11 at the same time.

This is per my understanding, and I've combed through the entire manual and several other articles and reviews, including @imagic own review here.

Were you able to successfully process 11 channels with the SC-85 (7.x.4)? If so, please tell me how! I sold mine off and got a Marantz 6011 recently, which I have in a 7.1.4 config with an external amp driving the second pair of heights. I wanted something that was DTS:X compatible, so the SC-85 was on its way out, anyway. But had I known I had the ability to do the same thing with the 85, I would have held on to it a bit longer.
I'll get back to you when I start the thing up tomorrow but I know Ive got 11 speakers hooked up and they all work lol
post #6 of 11 Old 04-08-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
I'll get back to you when I start the thing up tomorrow but I know Ive got 11 speakers hooked up and they all work lol
The manual gives a few definitions of each surround format on page 129. The 85 employs Neo:X, which can upmix to 11.1 from a 5.1 source. Maybe that's what is happening? I look forward to your response!

58 UHD and counting...
post #7 of 11 Old 04-08-2017, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 69
PM sent
post #8 of 11 Old 04-12-2017, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
pm sent
post #9 of 11 Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Still available?
post #10 of 11 Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Where are you located?
post #11 of 11 Old 05-01-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
First of all, the Pioneer Elite MCACC systems completely blow away the Audyssey systems in every way. I know most people love Audyssey but that is because they have never experienced MCACC. Pioneer Elite receivers are truly the best AVR's in the world.

I purchased this for $1,199 one year ago. Please note, Pioneer advertises this is a 9.2ch receiver however it has 11.2 preamp outs and 11 speaker outs.

MCACC can recognize and let you correct for standing waves, it can EQ multiple listening positions

-175w RMS @ 4ohms per channel (220w @ 4ohms 1%)
-True dual LFE sub outs with independent distance, eq and level adjustment
-11 channels speaker out and 11.2ch pre-outs
-3 Zones
-3 Hdmi Outputs/8 HDMI in ( can run to 3 diff zones out)
-Built in LAN
-4k and 3D compatible
-4k upconversion option
-4kx2k output
-Dolby Atmos and NeoX
-Standing Wave Control
-6 MCACC memory presets switchable on the fly, can store different EQ's, channel levels, distances, phase control, reverb, etc
-Direct and Pure Direct modes
-Dolby Surround up-converts 5.1 content to Atmos
-Built in Pandora
-Media Server input
-Bluetooth capable
-MHL and Roku input
-Ability to turn off speaker terminals/amplifiers when preouts are used to save power i.e. the AVR can power your surround speakers while your amps power the LR and C channels. You can then turn off the LR and C amps in the AVR to save power and lower the noise floor. You can also shut off all the amps internally and just use the pre outs

The Elite AVR's are known to put out their rated power specs even with all channels running, for example with a 5.1 setup @ 4ohms, you will get a true 175w per channel with all channels driven with less than .08% distortion. With most AVR's, say they are rated to 760w, you might be lucky to get 250w with multiple channels running. Not with the Elites. The Elites have been tested to put out their rated power in multi-channel mode. Given this, you may not need separate power amps for your surrounds to reach reference level as I do not.

PM with name and phone number. I have many references avail on the forums. $500 shipped firm
Are you still selling this receiver?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page