AVS Forum banner
  • You have not yet participated enough to use the Marketplace

Sherwood R 972 Receiver with Trinnov Room Optimizer (New, Open Box)

886 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Raul GS 
#1 · (Edited)
Unit like new. I purchased two of these units, the second was purchased as a backup after Sherwood stopped making them. However, the unit has proven to be extremely reliable, so I no longer have a need for the back up. The unit was taken out of the box for testing to ensure it was working, and then placed back in the box. These receivers are the only way to get an AVP or AVR with Trinnov at a reasonable price. Trinnov is wonderful room optimizing technology, but units cost thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. Even though the Trinnov optimizer in the R972 is not the latest iteration of Trinnov, it is nonetheless excellent. There is no other Room Optimizing technology available in AVR/AVPs that is able to perform the 3D optimizing Trinnov can.

Further, the amps and DACs in the R-972 are excellent and make it worthy of consideration even without the Trinnov technology. Because of my power needs, I actually use the R-972 as a quasi AVP. I use the internal amps to drive the height channels (yes, this unit can be configured in this manner, for further info see Curt Hoyt's application notes http://www.cahoyt.com/trinnov/r972trinnov.pdf and http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1397757-r972-trinnov-user-notes.html) and surround. There is nothing quite like this AVR/AVP anywhere near its price.

In its review, Home Theater Hifi concluded:

"To say that Trinnov is just another room optimization system would be a gross understatement. In its first implementation as a consumer product in the R-972, the Trinnov Room Optimizer is able to produce some stellar results... the Trinnov setup requires a fair bit of patience and persistence, but the results are worth every bit of that effort. Trinnov is capable of transforming an average room into a very believable theater or musical venue. It is also able to compensate for a variety of room problems with ease."

PRICE: $800 Canadian / US$600, plus shipping and any applicable fees

Reasonable Offers Considered

See less See more
#3 ·
I understand why some would be concerned about Atmos, but I think such a concern totally misses what makes this unit special. As I stated above, I use 2 height speakers, fronts (R C and L), and 2 rears. Trinnov is so impressive with its mapping that it uses the two height speakers to further enhance the enveloping experience. AND that is the point about Trinnov, it creates an enveloping experience that I find is not equaled bay any pre-pro or receiver for under $2K (I have not heard the new Emotive with Dirac Live). Atmos has the advantage of being object based, but the algorithms of Trinnov are so impressive they make you feel like you are immersed in the environment. Please note that I also own a Datasat, so I'm familiar with great sound. The Datasat has the advantage of Dirac Live (and all the latest codecs, but then again, it is far more expensive), which is incredible for DRC. But the Trinnov is able to allow for poor placement of speakers, it is able to match the sonics of other speakers incredibly well with the mains. The Trinnov in the Sherwood also allows you to have different setups (I have a memory for stereo setup and one for movie and one concerts).

Regarding balanced outs, sometimes too much is made of this in consumer audio. My setup that used the Sherwood uses the receivers amp to power the heights and surrounds, it uses an RCA out to balanced in for my L and R speakers and an RCA to RCA for the center. There is absolutely no problems with this varied approach (I did need to use separate amps for the mains and center because my speakers are power hogs and not easy to drive [plus I like it loud sometimes :)]) It is rare in consumer audio that it is necessary to keep all components and connections balanced (some amps have poorly implemented RCA connections and it is better to connect them with balanced cables, but that is easy to do), but to each his own. Thanks for your thoughts.

#4 ·
Everything I have is Pro Audio amps. I would have to use converters and I really don't want to. I'm sure Trinnov is awesome, but it's not for me at this point.

You're right. Most people who aren't forced to use balanced or that don't have long runs and/or hum issues definitely make too much of an issue about it.

I looked for one of these before I bought the Anthem 60. Someone will definitely get a good receiver.

#5 ·
Price Lowered

#7 ·
I am in Toronto, Canada. However, I can ship from within the US (will be travelling across the border in the near future).

#8 ·
I can't believe no one has bought this. If I had the money, I would get it just to try it.

#9 ·
It is somewhat surprising. Trinnov is really special, and the only other way to experience it costs tens of thousands of dollars. As I said, because of Trinnov, in my family room I am able to use front height speakers even though in theory the receiver is not designed for it. Trinnov allows all forms of speaker installations. In addition the unit has very good DACs and a decent amp (however, I don't use its amps for my front and center speaker since I use amps that put out 500/ch...yes hungry speakers). Thanks for your comments.

I should note that I am open to some negotiation on the price.

#11 ·
Response sent.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.