SVS Ultra Towers, Ultra Center in Austin TX - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By FKZechs
  • 1 Post By bkevind

post #1 of 30 Old 05-31-2017, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
**SOLD** SVS Ultra Towers, Ultra Center in Austin TX **SOLD**

**EDIT** SOLD

Thinking of changing direction a bit.

Piano black finish.

I LOVE these for movies, shows, and for those nights when we want to exceed reasonable dB levels for music. They are fairly efficient, but really seem to like being cranked up.

I can't believe how loud these will play, in full range or crossed over, clearly, cleanly and crisply. Much more than I can take. These are neutral, ruggedly over-built beasts. If I could change anything about them, I would very slightly change the neutral character to add a touch of lushness (mid range?), but I prefer a neutral character overall.

If I had a dedicated room I'd keep them without question (and I still may).

These really rock with rock and acoustic.

The towers I bought second hand from a member here (no warranty, boxes were too trashed from previous shipment), the center was bought new from SVS so still under warranty and have the box in good condition.

***No longer want these in-ceilings***
I'd trade for 3 deftech UIW RCS II, or sell for $1350 (50% of new prices)

I am in Southwest Austin Texas and much prefer pickup!

Alternatively I keep these, somewhere...wouldn't break my heart

tharbmar recently reviewed the towers and measured 110dB at his reference listening level, his overall thoughts echo mine exactly. Of course lots of other reviews for these out there. I think these are a bargain and built to last.

I wouldn't call these mint condition but neither do I see any blemishes. I'll get some pictures up eventually.

Last edited by bkevind; 10-13-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-31-2017, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Doesn't SVS have a transferrable warranty between new owners?

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 and 3 Towers
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #3 of 30 Old 06-01-2017, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just sold 3 of the UIW RCS II's about a month ago on ebay for $240 each. I would of traded you in a heart beat. How do you think these would compare to DIYSG HTM 12's?

post #4 of 30 Old 06-01-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
I just sold 3 of the UIW RCS II's about a month ago on ebay for $240 each. I would of traded you in a heart beat. How do you think these would compare to DIYSG HTM 12's?
Completely different. Other than they are both quality speakers. They each have different target audiences.

Some tweeter vs compression
"Sub" or bass drivers vs pa style drivers
Full range vs sub recommended, or rather needed
Hi-fi vs high output

Avid music listener? I prefer domes over compressions for music
Reference level movie output? Probably the HTM-12s

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 and 3 Towers
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #5 of 30 Old 06-01-2017, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Doesn't SVS have a transferrable warranty between new owners?
Yes they do.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Klipsch atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
NAD M25
Rythmik FV15HP
post #6 of 30 Old 06-02-2017, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post

Piano black finish.

I LOVE these for movies, shows, and for those nights when we want to exceed reasonable dB levels for music. They are fairly efficient, but really seem to like being cranked up.

I can't believe how loud these will play, in full range or crossed over, clearly, cleanly and crisply. Much more than I can take. These are neutral, ruggedly over-built beasts. If I could change anything about them, I would very slightly change the neutral character to add a touch of lushness (mid range?), but I prefer a neutral character overall.

The towers I bought second hand from a member here (no warranty, boxes were too trashed from previous shipment), the center was bought new from SVS so still under warranty and have the box in good condition.

tharbmar recently reviewed the towers and measured 110dB at his reference listening level, his overall thoughts echo mine exactly. Of course lots of other reviews for these out there. I think these are a bargain and built to last.

I wouldn't call these mint condition but neither do I see any blemishes. I'll get some pictures up eventually.
Hey bkevind,

Sorry for not PM'ing you, but I don't post much so they won't let me :P

I may be interested in purchasing for that price. The only caveat is I'm in AZ so a pickup will be pretty difficult. Are you 100% opposed to shipping?

Thanks.
post #7 of 30 Old 06-02-2017, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Apologies for my silence, have not been on the forums lately and thought I'd get email notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
Too bad I was late to the party! I don't know about the HTM 12s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Completely different. Other than they are both quality speakers. They each have different target audiences.

Some tweeter vs compression
"Sub" or bass drivers vs pa style drivers
Full range vs sub recommended, or rather needed
Hi-fi vs high output

Avid music listener? I prefer domes over compressions for music
Reference level movie output? Probably the HTM-12s
The Ultra towers are capable of ridiculous output, clean crisp and clear. Last week the wife and I decided to play some music in 2.0 and re-explore our old CD collection. As the wine flowed, so did the dB go up. The speakers never strained, never faltered for a second, and had more to give than I could tolerate. I'm a bit in awe of the level these are built to for the price. My outlaw 5000 amp on the other hand, ultimately went into protection mode (it was a long session). To be fair the amp needs better ventilation, but have never hit that before at my normal "loud" listening volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
Yes they do.
Good to know! The center is for sure under warranty, it's less than 1 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKZechs View Post
Hey bkevind,

Sorry for not PM'ing you, but I don't post much so they won't let me :P

I may be interested in purchasing for that price. The only caveat is I'm in AZ so a pickup will be pretty difficult. Are you 100% opposed to shipping?

Thanks.
Shipping - not opposed to it, but it will be challenging. Previous owner shipped the towers to me in their original boxes, but it was their last trip. The packaging did it's job and protected the speakers but I would not use them again, and so threw them out. The towers are heavy, large and have a non-standard shape. I believe SVS will sell me new shipping supplies for the speakers. I'll shoot them a message as that would be the best way forward. I think it may be best to ship the towers wrapped together in original boxes, wrapped to a crate. They are a bit much to handle individually for a delivery driver, and I'd hate for them to get tossed around.
post #8 of 30 Old 06-03-2017, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Hey cool story, found the original purchase date, they are still babies!

May 24, 2015, new from SVS.
post #9 of 30 Old 06-04-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Hey cool story, found the original purchase date, they are still babies!

May 24, 2015, new from SVS.
Oh sweet, yeah they really are. Not surprising though given the ultra line only came out a few years ago. I'll be traveling for work for the next two weeks, so likely I wouldn't be able to accept the shipment until I get back. I apologize for so much inconvenience, just tough when you're dealing with equipment like this trying to get it across the country... If you get another offer while I'm away I totally get it, but if you're willing to wait a couple weeks I'm absolutely interested.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-05-2017, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm looking for a center channel. Are you selling it as a set or can it be split? Thanks!
post #11 of 30 Old 06-05-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Oh sweet, yeah they really are. Not surprising though given the ultra line only came out a few years ago. I'll be traveling for work for the next two weeks, so likely I wouldn't be able to accept the shipment until I get back. I apologize for so much inconvenience, just tough when you're dealing with equipment like this trying to get it across the country... If you get another offer while I'm away I totally get it, but if you're willing to wait a couple weeks I'm absolutely interested.
I can vouch for AJ. Unfortunately I can also take the blame for him having to travel the next few weeks.
post #12 of 30 Old 06-05-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
I can vouch for AJ. Unfortunately I can also take the blame for him having to travel the next few weeks.
Per the previous person looking just for the center; to be honest, I'm truly only for the towers, so bkevind, if you want to split, it's definitely not an issue for me. If not, I'll grab all three.
DaleG7907 likes this.
post #13 of 30 Old 06-06-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Per the previous person looking just for the center; to be honest, I'm truly only for the towers, so bkevind, if you want to split, it's definitely not an issue for me. If not, I'll grab all three.

Please spread the wealth, I'm in dire need of a good center. Thank you!

Last edited by DaleG7907; 06-06-2017 at 05:40 AM.
post #14 of 30 Old 06-06-2017, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

I can split it up if there is interest.

As for the travel FK, no worries I'm not in any rush. I use the speakers on a daily basis
DaleG7907 likes this.
post #15 of 30 Old 06-07-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:

As for the travel FK, no worries I'm not in any rush. I use the speakers on a daily basis

Good! How much are you selling for the center channel? Is it ok to ship? Let me know. Thanks
post #16 of 30 Old 06-09-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks very much bk. I appreciate the flexibility. I will be in touch likely the weekend of the 17th (next weekend) as that's when I'll be back in Phoenix.
post #17 of 30 Old 06-09-2017, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
How much for the center channel speaker only shipped to 94030?
post #18 of 30 Old 06-12-2017, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Center would be $350 + actual shipping.

Sorry I've been slow to respond, in part I'm reluctant to lose these But it will happen.
post #19 of 30 Old 06-16-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Sorry I've been slow to respond, in part I'm reluctant to lose these But it will happen.
Hey bk, I'm back in AZ. Probably easier to follow up offline at this point for the towers. Whenever you are free, shoot me a message at abrother@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.
post #20 of 30 Old 06-16-2017, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Few questions on the center:

It is black gloss finish correct?
Any blemishes?
Does the original SVS invoice come with it for warranty?
Do you know the shipping cost to 94030?
post #21 of 30 Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Hey bk, I'm back in AZ. Probably easier to follow up offline at this point for the towers. Whenever you are free, shoot me a message at abrother@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Quote:

Piano black finish.

Any luck getting you guys connected? I'd like to listen to these again next time I'm in AZ, haha.
post #22 of 30 Old 06-23-2017, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

Piano black finish.

Man I'm in college Station I REALLY wish I could afford these I am definitely in the market for a new LCR but not until later this year.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-01-2017, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Man I'm in college Station I REALLY wish I could afford these I am definitely in the market for a new LCR but not until later this year.
How much to 44022 in ohio
post #24 of 30 Old 07-01-2017, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Piano black finish.

How much to 44022 in ohio
post #25 of 30 Old 10-05-2017, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone. My apologies for being absent from this thread. With things I enjoy, I develop a bit of an emotional attachment. When I decide to sell - it's very much a "I want a quick clean break up" sort of thing I know I'm strange...

So, inevitably I waffled with these because I really enjoy them.

In a fit of needing to break up again I posted them finally on my local CL, since I do not want to ship the towers.

long story short:

The towers are sold to a very happy new owner. The center is still available and I will ship of course. I am currently enjoying my SVS ultra bookshelf speakers back in the main room with the center. But the bookshelf speakers belong in the office.

I'm quite happy with the sound as-is, however the speakers are white, the center is black. And now with our recent changes to the main room, the look of bookshelf on stands is just too...dainty. Oddly towers will help anchor the room better, or in walls so there is nothing at all but the sub. Now I have carte blanche to buy a new set of towers (and center)! the ultras could have stayed but my wife really hated the slanted design. That was their downfall. She LOVED the sound. Now I've got my work cut out for me to find something on par if not better. Suggestions? Has to be black or white and not too oddly shaped. Big is ok - she is a Klipsch fan for better or worse so thinking of the RF7II. Also looking at the Canton Vento 890.2 since they come in a pleasant white.

I might sell my ML motion 15 as well. I love them/hate them at the same time so I'd rather not have that angst
post #26 of 30 Old 10-05-2017, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Pics of the center. Just realized they are a bit dusty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171005_112952.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	815.3 KB
ID:	2293094   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171005_113010.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	850.6 KB
ID:	2293096  
post #27 of 30 Old 10-05-2017, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

I do have the original order confirmation via email for the center. Ordered on 7/4/2016, received on 7/20/2016.
post #28 of 30 Old 10-05-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
I do have the original order confirmation via email for the center. Ordered on 7/4/2016, received on 7/20/2016.
Sent you a PM for the center.
post #29 of 30 Old 10-05-2017, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Sent you a PM for the center.
Thank you, replied.
post #30 of 30 Old 10-05-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member