Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Trinnov MC Processor

Trinnov MC (Optimizer) w/software version 3.6.18 (2013; not substantially different from current version)

Trinnov 3D setup microphone

Lynx Aurora 16 A/D/A converter

$4495/OBO shipped to USA

Functionally equivalent to current MC2 processor, which with 12 ch is about $12k new (w/o mic, which is $700); the difference is that the MC2 has built-in A/D converters

With the exception of the decoders and speaker layouts choices, the processing s/w is the same as the Altitude.

- Software-upgradeable up to 16 channel

- Up to 96k processing

- 12 channels of processing (upgradeable to 16)

- 16 channels of I/O; 12 ch active at any time - can save different presets utilizing any 12 of the inputs/outputs

- 16 ch of fully balanced analog I/O on DB25 (Tascam std)

- AES I/O with separate wordclock

Summary of Optimizer Main Features & Functionality

- Room correction for frequency and phase response

- User-definable target curves for each channel

- Multiple mic locations w/user-definable weighting of each position

- Loudspeakers position 2D and 3D remapping

- Active crossovers

- Control by external display/mouse/keyboard, optional IR module, VNC, or touchpad

- Manual FIR and 31-band graphic EQ

- 29 memory presets, as well as stored profiles containing presets and additional global setup parameters

- Flexible source and speaker routing

- Matrix mixing of any channels

- Submixes

- DRC (dynamic range control)

- Input/output signal level metering

- Pink noise generator

- Selection of clock settings

For more detail, see the v3.6 Reference Manual Table of Contents which are the last three Drop pic’s (note: SmartMeter is an optional add-on and is not included).

I also went through the Optimizer s/w function tabs and took pictures of the more interesting screens.

Notes for Home Theater Use

I've been using the Optimizer in a 7.1.4 Atmos system, feeding it with a Marantz AV7702MkII pre/pro, but be aware that unlike the Trinnov Altitude, it is not a pre/pro, i.e. it has no decoders, no audio/video switching, nor a 3D speaker layout.

Therefore it’s not appropriate to use 3D Remapping; all of the selectable Speaker Layouts which Remapping uses as a target are planar (2D), so remapping would attempt to squash all of the speakers into a common plane.

Nor is there an appropriate 12 ch 2D Speaker Layout; I’m using the generic 12 ch Speaker Layout (30-deg azimuth spacing) w/o Remapping.

However, similar benefits to Remapping are still possible.

Curt guided me through how to use the Submix/Matrix Editor to send a portion of Center ch signal to L/R to nicely raise the sonic image of my floor-mounted Center speaker; voices now appear to come from the screen instead of below it.

Also note that if not using Remapping, you don’t have to sweat about how precisely the mic is pointed at the center speaker during calibration.

Of course, if you’re not using height speakers, you’re golden; you can use 2D or 3D Remapping with the included 5.1 and 7.1 Speaker Layouts.

There are other neat tricks possible with the Optimizer:

1. Center Channels - While perforated screens permit the positioning of the center channel (and perhaps right & left channels) directly behind the screen surface for optimal localization of vocals, non-perforated screens and flat panel displays make this impossible. By using two center channel speakers, one below the screen and one above the screen (urilizes two Optimizer channels), the sound will image the center channel directly in the middle of the viewing surface.

2. Multiple Subs or Surrounds - The Optimizer doesn't really care how many speakers you have in your system or for that matter where they are located because either way, it will accurately pin-point their position relative to the viewing surface. You can use additional channels for extra surround (side surround) speakers, and multiple subwoofers with bass management. You can remap input and output channels to your specific setup, as is done in post production facilities like Fox Studios.

3. Spinning The Room – You can perform and store different calibrations for different rooms or different speaker/listener configurations in the same room. For example: A bedroom in which the flat-panel faces the bed or can spin 90-degrees and face the seating area; a living room space in which one end of the room is a two-channel hifi system while the other end of the room features a home cinema (180-degree spin); an office in which a surround system must properly orient when facing the desk or when working from the nearby conference table - all of these applications can be accommodated by the Optimizer.

Dropbox link to more pic’s:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zxjq625qw...W8cCQekXa?dl=0

Trinnov site: http://www.trinnov.com/products/pro-...mc/?lang=en_us

Reviews/demos (the ones for the ST2 apply; it’s the same as MC2, just less channels):

excellent overview of calibration process

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trinnov/1.html

(skip 1st minute to get right to it)

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ystem-shootout (before concluding that the Trinnov is overpriced, read the comments by Mark Robinson about the importance of phase correction, which many other reviews also mention)

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...87-Trinnov-ST2 if you’ve got a lot of time on your hands

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 10-05-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page