WTB Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spidacat

post #1 of 10 Old 09-04-2017, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 741
WTB Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition

Looking for the Special edition of Gravity known as Diamond Luxe. Having a hard time finding a copy. Used is fine. Please let me know your price plus shipping if you have a copy to sell thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Looking for the Special edition of Gravity known as Diamond Luxe. Having a hard time finding a copy. Used is fine. Please let me know your price plus shipping if you have a copy to sell thanks!
FYI, there are several currently for sale on eBay. Alternatively, you could rent it for just a few dollars at www.store-blurayrental.com. I've seen all 3 versions (standard Blu-Ray, Diamond Luxe, 3D Blu-Ray) and it's my opinion that the 3D version blows the others away. The Atmos track in the Diamond Luxe isn't transformational when compared with the DTS-HD MA 5.1 in the standard Blu-Ray and 3D versions; perhaps that's because my Yamaha AVR turned the 5.1 into a "pseudo" Atmos (7.2.4) via Dolby Surround processing. I'd strongly recommend the 3D version since your Optima projector can accept it. The 3D was great in the theater and the 3D Blu-Ray is spectacular and much more immersive than 2D; please check out the review at Blu-Ray.com where they gave it a 5 out of 5 (which is essentially unheard of for a 3D offering). If you don't want to buy it, 3D-BluRay Rental also has the 3D version for rent for a few dollars more than renting the Diamond Luxe 2D version.

Last edited by docrog; 09-04-2017 at 09:14 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-05-2017, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
FYI, there are several currently for sale on eBay. Alternatively, you could rent it for just a few dollars at www.store-blurayrental.com. I've seen all 3 versions (standard Blu-Ray, Diamond Luxe, 3D Blu-Ray) and it's my opinion that the 3D version blows the others away. The Atmos track in the Diamond Luxe isn't transformational when compared with the DTS-HD MA 5.1 in the standard Blu-Ray and 3D versions; perhaps that's because my Yamaha AVR turned the 5.1 into a "pseudo" Atmos (7.2.4) via Dolby Surround processing. I'd strongly recommend the 3D version since your Optima projector can accept it. The 3D was great in the theater and the 3D Blu-Ray is spectacular and much more immersive than 2D; please check out the review at Blu-Ray.com where they gave it a 5 out of 5 (which is essentially unheard of for a 3D offering). If you don't want to buy it, 3D-BluRay Rental also has the 3D version for rent for a few dollars more than renting the Diamond Luxe 2D version.

Thanks for the info. I find the 3D on my projector to be too dim unfortunately. I bought the 3D add on and a couple pairs of glasses when I bought the projector but rarely use it. I watched guardians of the galaxy 2 in 3D on it and while it wasn’t too bad, it was still much less alive in color and brightness than the 4K version (playing in 1080p from the Projector but for the Atmos). This is in a pitch dark room. The 3D glasses just seem to take too much of the picture away. I found the Diamond Luxe version for $20USD. I’ve heard the Atmos track is amazing on it from folks here and some friends.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-05-2017, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I find the 3D on my projector to be too dim unfortunately. I bought the 3D add on and a couple pairs of glasses when I bought the projector but rarely use it. I watched guardians of the galaxy 2 in 3D on it and while it wasn’t too bad, it was still much less alive in color and brightness than the 4K version (playing in 1080p from the Projector but for the Atmos). This is in a pitch dark room. The 3D glasses just seem to take too much of the picture away. I found the Diamond Luxe version for $20USD. I’ve heard the Atmos track is amazing on it from folks here and some friends.
I'm happy that you scored the Diamond Luxe version at a reasonable price (too much gouging on eBay). Considering how you've described your HT speaker arrangement (in your bio), I'd love to know whether or not you're able to experience much of a difference in the Atmos track (other than a very few instances of discrete overhead object placement), especially if your AVR can synthesize a 7.2.x sound field from a lossless 5.1 track. Typically the DTS treatment is more dynamic than a comparable Dolby track, so it's always fun to A-B them in a dedicated HT environment.

I still think that you should give the rental a try (try cranking up your Optima lamp & iris settings to optimize brightness, if that's what it takes) just to enjoy the immersiveness of the 3D version. BTW, if your 3D glasses take away too much "punch", perhaps they're poorly matched to the polarization characteristics of your projector and/or drop down screen. I know that's a problem for many users who opt for generic glasses. My JVC RS500 PJ requires glasses which support a specific polarity, otherwise the image appears washed out and dim. I don't have that problem at all, using JVC approved glasses for my PJ. FWIW, I never had the problem at all with my prior PJ (Epson 5030). Enjoy!
post #5 of 10 Old 09-05-2017, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm happy that you scored the Diamond Luxe version at a reasonable price (too much gouging on eBay). Considering how you've described your HT speaker arrangement (in your bio), I'd love to know whether or not you're able to experience much of a difference in the Atmos track (other than a very few instances of discrete overhead object placement), especially if your AVR can synthesize a 7.2.x sound field from a lossless 5.1 track. Typically the DTS treatment is more dynamic than a comparable Dolby track, so it's always fun to A-B them in a dedicated HT environment.

I still think that you should give the rental a try (try cranking up your Optima lamp & iris settings to optimize brightness, if that's what it takes) just to enjoy the immersiveness of the 3D version. BTW, if your 3D glasses take away too much "punch", perhaps they're poorly matched to the polarization characteristics of your projector and/or drop down screen. I know that's a problem for many users who opt for generic glasses. My JVC RS500 PJ requires glasses which support a specific polarity, otherwise the image appears washed out and dim. I don't have that problem at all, using JVC approved glasses for my PJ. FWIW, I never had the problem at all with my prior PJ (Epson 5030). Enjoy!

I was able to find the 3D bluray version on eBay for $10. Figure I’ll watch in both versions and see what I like best. I’ll likely just wind up selling one to pay for the other
post #6 of 10 Old 09-05-2017, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was able to find the 3D bluray version on eBay for $10. Figure I’ll watch in both versions and see what I like best. I’ll likely just wind up selling one to pay for the other
I'd appreciate it if you'd drop me a PM once you've had the chance to compare the viewing experience of both versions................
post #7 of 10 Old 09-05-2017, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd appreciate it if you'd drop me a PM once you've had the chance to compare the viewing experience of both versions................

Will do! My AVR (Marantz SR-6011) does up-convert 5.1 both Dolby and DTS to my full 7.2.4 Atmos configuration as Dolby Surround or DTS Neo:X
post #8 of 10 Old 09-17-2017, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 68
BTW, the correct link is: http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com...ory-s/1820.htm

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #9 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 75
https://www.amazon.ca/Gravity-Specia...d+luxe+edition

Usually $20-25 shipped to the US.
IronWaffle likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-20-2017, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter