URC programmer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looking for someone in the Baltimore/ Towson MD area to program a Universal Remote to control A/V and Lutron dimmer switches. Was looking at the MX-780. Don't want to pay the $250 my local HT store wants. Name your price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Not sure why you haven't got a response...

Maybe someone would reply if you listed the equipment are you trying to control (number of a/v zones, dimmers, etc...)?

Back when I was looking one dealer said it was a $100 to program a remote and I thought that was expensive. Now after being in home automation for several years, I think that's very reasonable. It probably cost a company $30-$60 in overhead just to come out to your house due to gas, taxes, wages, benefits, vehicle wear etc...

Of course, the $100 quote I was given assumed I'd buy the remote from them, probably near MSRP. I doubt anyone is going to give you that kind of price unless you re-buy your equipment from them. I just ended up getting the equipment from ebay and programming it myself. As overpriced as URC is, I'm sure I bought the remotes for far less than dealer cost. Of course, I may/may not have a warranty. However, I don't really care as it was 1/3 to 1/4 of what a URC dealer was going to charge.

The place may have sold you your gear for under MSRP in hopes of getting an expensive service call? This may be reasonable if they gave you a great price on the equipment (assuming you bought it from them). Of course, if it's a simple install $250 sounds excessive to me too and I wouldn't pay it.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's about 3 hours of programming. The things are not easy or fast. $250 is reasonable. Trust me they make nothing on the remote if you even got it off them. I usally charge $85 hr for off site programming. URC demands a min of 3 hours unless it is a really simple config and everything works and there is no customization.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #4 of 4 Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am reasonably familiar (but not an expert) at URC programming. I have been programming the various URC models - starting with the model 1000 (I think), 15+ years ago!

Unfortunately, URC does no longer releases the new CCP software to the public. I got a copy from my local dealer, whom I have known for 15 years (thanks guys!). I cannot share it with anyone, because I promised those guys I would not.

URC should at least offer the CCP software for sale!

I have a complicated system and I probably spent 30+ hours on programming the 780s (I have two of them).

Anyway, $250 is a great price to pay, for someone to come out and program that remote for you! Or, you might want to consider the Harmony (logitech also?) models, with online programmability.

Its not easy to program these - in the sense, that there is always that "little tweak" that's needed or.. a few IR codes, that just don't seem to want to be taught/learnt. So.. for $250, that guy might well spend 3 hours or most likely - you will make him come back to fix his mistakes - and he might eventually make very little money for the effort.. I realize $250 is a lot.. but be assured that you are probably getting a good deal (depending on the complexity of your system).

If you get it programmed by them and want to make small changes, I might be able to help you, free of charge, if its a small effort. I have never dealt with lutron codes. I assume they are available in the data base. I use X10 codes.
Reply Help Wanted/Seeking

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page