DMD chip for Optoma HD80/HD81 or Benq W5000 / W20000 projector - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 18 Old 06-15-2012, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I want to buy a DMD chip present in Optoma HD80 Hd81 or Benq W5000/W20000 DLP projector. The type is 1910-911a or 1910-9028.

Payment through paypal

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

up
post #3 of 18 Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have exactly the same request.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-08-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hello,

What problem do you have on your DMD chip and in what projector make/model is it fitted?
post #5 of 18 Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 AM

My BENQ w5000 has half the screen working and half the screen showing a white screen with black horizontal stripes/points which vary from 20 pixels till 1 pixel wide and one pixel in height.

post #6 of 18 Old 05-08-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

I suspected just that:) There are many posts on forums that point this to DMD chip, but it's all wrong. I even saw repair kits on eBay. According to them, DMD doesn't make contact with the board but in reality the fault is somewhere else. I revived about 10 w5000/20000 with this problem.

In this case your DMD chip is all right. The common problem on this projector is a fault on DLP formatter board. The image is processed by 2 identical chips (1 for half screen). The cause is a fault on a poorly designed power supply. If you have luck you need only to change a transistor, if not a RLDRAM chip must be replaced.

Mircea
post #7 of 18 Old 05-09-2014, 02:56 AM

Ooh thank you for your help! What would be the best steps to fixing it then?

I live in the Netherlands

post #8 of 18 Old 06-05-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post

I suspected just that:) There are many posts on forums that point this to DMD chip, but it's all wrong. I even saw repair kits on eBay. According to them, DMD doesn't make contact with the board but in reality the fault is somewhere else. I revived about 10 w5000/20000 with this problem.

In this case your DMD chip is all right. The common problem on this projector is a fault on DLP formatter board. The image is processed by 2 identical chips (1 for half screen). The cause is a fault on a poorly designed power supply. If you have luck you need only to change a transistor, if not a RLDRAM chip must be replaced.

Mircea

I too have the same problem as David, only mine has progressed to half the screen being completely black. Does this still sound like an easy transistor fix, or has my DMD chip indeed gone bad?
post #9 of 18 Old 06-05-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,

DMD chip is out of the question. Usually the DMD fails by suffering pixel failure.

In your case, the worst that could happen is for the RLDRAM chip to fail (a voltage supply is feed through the transistor that fails first). A replacement memory is about 5-8usd but the installation is difficult because the package is BGA and you need special rework tools in order to do that.

Mircea
post #10 of 18 Old 11-29-2014, 01:06 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
Hello,

DMD chip is out of the question. Usually the DMD fails by suffering pixel failure.

In your case, the worst that could happen is for the RLDRAM chip to fail (a voltage supply is feed through the transistor that fails first). A replacement memory is about 5-8usd but the installation is difficult because the package is BGA and you need special rework tools in order to do that.

Mircea
Mircea,
Please PM me, I have a Benq W20000 that i'm looking at option for repair.
Thanks,
Troy
post #11 of 18 Old 11-29-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

PM sent
post #12 of 18 Old 12-28-2014, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
Hello,

Mircea
Mircea,
I have exactly the same failure on my BenQ W5000. Could you please PM me about how to repair/change transistor and RLDRAM?
Thanks,
Mat
post #13 of 18 Old 12-28-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hello,
@contango : I've tried to send you a PM but it seems i don't have sufficient posts to send private messages.

Anyway, here are the instructions for everybody, note that I'm not responsible for any further damage you might do to your projector if you don't have the proper skills/tools:

I've fixed many W5000 projectors with this kind of symptom after I had to find the cause to fix mine.

The cause for the failure is a design flaw where they choose a transistor that works on parameters close to absolute ratings (temperature, current). You change that with a better part and you won't have that problem again.

I've attached the photo with the parts you need to change/check. The transistor highlighted in red you must change for sure. Check the diode highlighted also. Use a better part for the transistor, namely IRLML2502. It's a more robust mos-fet which won't give the same fault in the future.

This is a part of a supply circuit for a RLDRAM chip highlighted in red. The part is D9FQS from Micron. As the package is BGA you need a BGA reworking machine (or a service shop that has it) to change the chip.

The image processing is made by two identical circuits (DDP3021). Each has it's own power supply, a RLDRAM CHIP and a flash memory.

http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irlml6244pbf.pdf

http://www.micron.com/~/media/Documents/Products/Data%20Sheet/DRAM/288Mb_RLDRAM_2_CIO.pdf

In any case, don't power up the projector again until you changed at least discrete components (transistors, diodes) as there's a chance to save the RLDRAM chip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w5000.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	740.7 KB
ID:	445754  
post #14 of 18 Old 12-28-2014, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks a lot!
Mat
post #15 of 18 Old 01-17-2015, 11:33 AM

Hi what is the model # to order for the diode? Also can we just pick up any transistor of the listed model number or is there a type as well for that?

Thanks for having an awesome solution.

-Felipe Cumberino
Benq W5000 on a DA-Lite- Adcom GFA 555- Adcom GFP 710 - Oppo BDP-83 - Polk Monitor 10's fully upgraded audio grade xo's. -WDTV Live -Samsung flatscreen part time and non movie duties. Happy Happy Happy.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-19-2015, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,

The diode part number for the diode is : nsr0320mw2t1g

For the transistor, you can use any N channel mosfet with the same package and specs (or above) as IRMLM6244.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-22-2015, 03:35 PM

Awesome...many thanks...i disconnected mine...and I hope that I wont need the dmd ...i will be ordering the transistor today.

If there anymore pointers please do tell.

Thank you M.

-Felipe Cumberino
Benq W5000 on a DA-Lite- Adcom GFA 555- Adcom GFP 710 - Oppo BDP-83 - Polk Monitor 10's fully upgraded audio grade xo's. -WDTV Live -Samsung flatscreen part time and non movie duties. Happy Happy Happy.
post #18 of 18 Unread Today, 12:19 AM

First let me say im sorry for the spam but I cant PM due to under 15 posts... My question is to cream. I have the opportunity to buy the w5000 second hand for about 350-400$ so my question is: is it a good deal. im asking you because I see you have a lot of experience with it, and apparently you don't want to give up on yours. so basically what I want to know is if the problem you described in the other thread (the one with the fans) is the other common problem called "three red leds" because it seems you have found a solution to that too the reason im posting this is because where I live 350-400$ is not a small investment and I want to know what my chances are in terms of repairing the most common and apparently "bound to happen" faults. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Devices

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page