Bombshell at Panasonic: 'resolution doesn't matter, it's all about the colour' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Bombshell at Panasonic: 'resolution doesn't matter, it's all about the colour'

Quote:
Hold the front page! It's not picture resolution that makes for a great TV image, but old chestnuts dynamic range and colour fidelity.
That was the message from TV calibration guru Joel Silver this week when he took to the stage at Panasonic's huge pan-European dealer convention in Amsterdam to support the company's new 4K TV launches.
In truth, it was probably not the message that Panasonic had anticipated when they invited the CEO and Founder of the Imaging Science Foundation along to talk 4K tech, but it made for a fascinating insight all the same.
"Resolution is actually the fourth and least important of the big four image parameters," declared Silver.
"The single most apparent thing you see in an image isn't detail but dynamic range, followed by colour saturation and fidelity. If fleshtones are off or there's even a hint of a greenish cast in yellows, images have no chance of looking lifelike. These factors make or break TV images."
http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...olour--1237586

I've read this before but might it be interesting none the less

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...olour--1237586

I've read this before but might it be interesting none the less
It's totally true. And, it fits in with Panasonic's message regarding the AX800U, namely that it maintains proper saturation and hue even in the deepest shadows, which was one reason I praised it so highly. I can't wait until I have one in my studio.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Old 06-23-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
It's totally true. And, it fits in with Panasonic's message regarding the AX800U, namely that it maintains proper saturation and hue even in the deepest shadows, which was one reason I praised it so highly. I can't wait until I have one in my studio.
Totally agree I've had both 720p and 1080p sets here (all 1080p's now ) both plasma and LCD . The resolution isn't that big of a deal at a normal view distance as compared to black levels ,color ,and contrast,etc better to have a decent 720p set that does those things well than a 1080p set that does not .

My first PDP was a 50" 720p replaced by a 60" 1080p PDP. The 720P plasma wasn't bad at all better than most 1080p LCD sets . I think Plasmas handle the 1080p/720p thing better though at least I thought so on my sets
It seemed to me the difference was more noticeable on the LCD sets to *me anyway

It will be interesting to see what Panasonic comes up with they are experts at premium and professional video processing
just like Sony I wouldn't write them off . One only needs to look at one of the Panny VT/ZT sets or one of their professional panels to see that. I can tell you they are well utilised in corporate venus . Some of those bad boys will do 1000 nits.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-23-2014 at 06:21 PM.