What GAIN for PLUS Piano? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-16-2001, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks!

What amount of gain should my new screen have for the use with the PLUS Piano DLP projector?

My old screen has imho a way too high gain of 3.5 (I used it with an Sharp XV370P LCD projector).

Screen width should be 2m. Viewing distance is 3m. Projection distance between the piano and the screen is approx. 3,20m.

Can I adjust the Piano for the use with my old screen or is it better to go for a new screen with a "normal" gain of i.e. 1.2? Or should i go for a high-gain-screen?

Thanks in advance.
Alfisto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-16-2001, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

You probably don't need a high gain screen, something in the 1.2 gain range will do. You will probably want to consider a greyscreen like the Greyhawk or the HC Da-Mat with a gain less than 1.0. The forthcoming Firehawk from Stewart will probably also be something you want to consider, it has a higher gain (somewhere in the 1.3 gain range), but the same advantages of a Greyhawk.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #3 of 4 Old 12-17-2001, 10:33 AM

I know Piano reccomends pairing the Piano with a 1.3 gain screen.
I've seen that mentioned several times, I don't know if you want to use a negative gain screen such as the Da-Lite HC or Grayhawk with the Piano's already low 450 Lumen output.
Unless your screen is on the smaller side.

The Firehawk is probably a nice screen. But a screen for 50% of what you paid for the projector itself seems a little nuts to me.

Anyway, YMMV.

Matt
post #4 of 4 Old 12-17-2001, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

LOL, true about the cost of the screen.

You could just buy the fabric, though. It would be significantly cheaper and a frame is not too hard to build if you are somewhat handy with tools.

Anyways, the Firehawk is probably your best bet if you wish to purchase a new screen. Any old 1.3 gain screen will probably suit if you are on a budget. You screen is not too large, so a moderate gain screen will do OK. Now that I have run the numbers it is probably too dim for the HC Da-Mat and just on the borderline for the Greyhawk (perfect for the Greyhawk if you have good light control).

Regards,

Kam Fung
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page