constant image width vs. constant image height - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-28-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
RBP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not understanding something. If your room can accomodate a 120" wide screen for example, why would you get a 2.35 ratio screen instead of a 1.78 (16:9) screen and vertically mask it to 2.35 when needed. Are there any downsides to doing that?

If both screens are the same width, a masked 1.78 screen would have the same area as an unmasked 2.35 screen.

I guess I assume people start by figuing out how wide a screen they can accomodate in their room and then choose a ratio. I just don't get why people choose CIH over CIW with masking. CIW would eliminate the need for an anamorphic lens and curved screens. What am I missing. Are the black bars shining on the masking noticeable or distracting?

Could someone please fill me in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I took it a step more. The widest screen my room and seating can take is 96” so I went 4:3 72x96 16:9 54x96 scope 42x96

The black bars don’t bother me example below. I watch a lot of classic movies filmed in 4:3 along with a lot of still photos that mask out better on 4:3 is why I did that.

This is a DIY screen but the idea is the same. DLP self masking at the bottom.

Bud

post #3 of 4 Old 02-29-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP View Post

Could someone please fill me in here.

Using a vertically-masked 1.78 screen to make a 2.35 AR screen means that the image is vertically *smaller*, much smaller than the HDTV screen. We don't like that!

Another thought is that if you've ever sat in a movie theater and watched cartoons/trailers et. al. in 4:3 or 1.85/whatever, and then when the feature starts the curtains pull to the side to reveal the full 2.xx image, well you miss that thrill completely when you vertically mask.

Mine's a 2.35 ten-footer...
post #4 of 4 Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The bottom line to me is you can only go as wide as your room is, or as high as from the floor to the ceiling. I personally chose to do both leaving a little room for a couple 12” subwoofers.

I know the jaw dropping feeling when the curtain used to pull at the Warner theater as a kid Laserfan describes. But I also remember seeing that 5 story high IMAX screen for the first time or watching a movie like Citizen Kane on 48 sq ft of screen compared to 27 sq ft cropped in the center.

Then again I feel a little cheated watching scope movies… I guess I need a bigger basement…. Maybe next house……

An idea of screen size. picture before subs.

Remember this one? Someone told me they did a remake. Is it any good?

Bud

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page