How to Trigger Projector Screen with AV Unit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning to get a projector screen with my plasma display. In the next few months, I'm also planning to get a receiver or pre/pro unit that has 2 HDMI outputs to connect to the screen and display.

The question is....how does one trigger the screen so that you can watch a disc with the projector screen instead of the plasma screen and vice-versa?

I take it this would be difficult doing it with some 12v trigger and instead have the projector screen controlled by IR...? How do owners with 2 HDMI outputs using 2 display devices handle this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2008, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You should be able to do this with an IR-controllable screen and a Harmony remote. Just set up a "Watch Projector" activity that includes sending a "Screen Down" code from the remote. If you don't want to pop for a Harmony, you can probably accomplish this with most any learning remote that can do macros.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

For a 12v trigger, you would typically run wire from your PJ to your screen. The PJ would need to have a 12v trigger output, and the screen would need a 12v trigger input.

When you power up the projector, the screen deploys. When you turn off the projector, the screen retracts.

If your PJ does not have a 12v trigger, here's another option:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...79#post9591779

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
877-823-4452 x106 (Toll-Free)
marc@avscience.com
post #4 of 6 Old 05-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Rumsey View Post

For a 12v trigger, you would typically run wire from your PJ to your screen. The PJ would need to have a 12v trigger output, and the screen would need a 12v trigger input.

When you power up the projector, the screen deploys. When you turn off the projector, the screen retracts.

If your PJ does not have a 12v trigger, here's another option:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...79#post9591779

I'm just starting to look at PJs and screens...If the pj has the 12V trigger option and the screen has a 12V trigger, is 120 V power still required for the screen?
I notice some motorized screens Gray Wolf (DE-GW119092E) has 2 features (accepts IR remote and a power supply for manual switch control).
Just want to make sure I don't need to run a separate 120V outlet for the screen.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Yes you still need 120 vac for the screen motor. What you have is a 12v source ( the projector ) which triggers a 12v relay in the screen. When the 12v is present, the screen unrolls, when the 12v is not present, the screen rolls up. Even if your screen does not have a 12v trigger, it is rather easy to make on up. Just a relay with a 2 position contact or 2 relays ( one NO and one NC ) Just make sure that the contacts on the relay are rated to carry the current that the screen motor will draw.

Sailn...
post #6 of 6 Old 05-29-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input! Since my original post, I ultimately went with a Stewart motorized screen with IR last month. My JVC RS-2 has no trigger...but I like the idea of wireless in case I move (i.e. no wiring hassle other than power). The installers did route some CAT5 in the event I or a future homeowner needs a 12V trigger. They routed a 120V connection from the ceiling/attic to my screen. I use a Harmony One remote that turns the projector on/off, Panamorph lens in/out and screen down/up with one button push.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page