Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-17-2001, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where can I find some SCREEN FAQS?

I have a CRT projector... Barco 701S... I am quite proud of it!!! But I need to arrange the furniture to have a spot for it. I bought it without much advance notice... and my house is not ready yet.

What is the cheap budget way for a CRT screen? Like, less than $100?

Parkland Plastics sounds good... but not for me. I think my screen should be more than 4' tall. AFAIK, that limits me to other kinds of screens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. :confused: :p

Pocatello
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-17-2001, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went to this site:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/cons...cfm?ci=formats

and found some common sense about screen sizes.

Since I have a 4:3 CRT projector, I will put up the largest 4:3 screen possible.

Here is a teaser from the article--- go to the site for the full article. It is written by Evan Powell at projectorcentral.com. It is really good reading:
---------------
Quote:

"Consider this for a moment. Most people will install the widest screen they can fit into the space available, regardless of its format. So screen width is almost always the limiting factor. In my theater I can install a 16:9 screen that is 8 feet wide, or a 4:3 screen that is 8 feet wide. If I install a 16:9 screen it will be 8 feet wide and 4.5 feet high. If I install a 4:3 screen, it will be 8 feet wide and 6 feet high.

Now between these two options, how big is my 4:3 image? On the 4:3 screen it is 8 x 6 = 48 square feet. On the 16:9 screen, it is 6 x 4.5 = 27 square feet. Almost half the size! That's the difference between being at the Eagles concert and seeing it on television.

Meanwhile—and here is a key point—my 16:9 image size is the same either way— 8 x 4.5 = 36 square feet. So the only variable is how I want to display 4:3. Do you want to maximize the use of your wall space? The 4:3 screen gives you more viewing area since it uses more vertical space on the wall."

End Quote

I still need help... and 8' by 6' screen... this seems reasonable to me. What do you think?

Thanks!

Pocatello
post #3 of 4 Old 12-18-2001, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Pocatello,
I just upgraded from a 4:3 100" diagonal to a Parkland Plastics 16:9 97" diagonal screen. Yes I said upgrade! I am using a BG800 the older big brother to yours. Do you watch mostly standard definition or DVD's? I use mine for mostly DVD's and HD but if I want to watch 4:3 stuff I just have black border on the sides. Kind of reverse letterbox. I lose a slight bit of size for SD material but it is usually such bad resolution anyway the picture looks much sharper. IMO 8'X6' is really pushing a 7" CRT (I think that’s what the 701s is). You might want to ask that question in the CRT forum.

Mike
post #4 of 4 Old 12-19-2001, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I'm thinking about the Parkland Plastic screen as well.

I've used the lens program from Barco, and given my room size and seating position, and a table mount, I'm thinking of a more modest screen size...

Maybe 4' by 6'.

That would fit on a regular size sheet of Parkland Plastic.

Thanks again.

Pocatello
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page