Chart Distance x Screen Size - Standards SMPTE and THX - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 140 Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
anthonybuchanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Before you sling "dumbass" labels around so freely, perhaps you should read what those THX specs actually are. They are the minimum angle of view. That is the reason you'd be in the back row in a commercial theater. That is exactly right. I sit 10' back from my 10' wide screen (145" diagonal). So as it turns out I think we're pretty much in agreement as to where to sit.
The guidelines telling you to sit close are worthless. I would imagine they came about with something like the interaction below between an employee and his boss where the boss wants to round out their portfolio of white papers with something dictating to people where they should sit.

Boss: "Hey Hendersen what are you working on today".
Hendersen: "I just finished the project you had me working on".
Boss: "What are you working on next?"
Hendersen: "My week is clear I don't have any other projects I was thinking of going to the beach".
Boss: "What? You're going to the beach?"
Boss: "Makeup some damn white paper and tell people where to sit in their HT".
Boss: "And put our seal on it to make it real official like".
Hendersen: "Okay boss I will just publish some crap".
anthonybuchanan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 140 Old 01-21-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
The guidelines telling you to sit close are worthless. I would imagine they came about with something like the interaction below between an employee and his boss where the boss wants to round out their portfolio of white papers with something dictating to people where they should sit.

Boss: "Hey Hendersen what are you working on today".
Hendersen: "I just finished the project you had me working on".
Boss: "What are you working on next?"
Hendersen: "My week is clear I don't have any other projects I was thinking of going to the beach".
Boss: "What? You're going to the beach?"
Boss: "Makeup some damn white paper and tell people where to sit in their HT".
Boss: "And put our seal on it to make it real official like".
Hendersen: "Okay boss I will just publish some crap".
If you want to make your point by making stuff up, you can. But I have no response to it.
erkq is online now  
post #123 of 140 Old 01-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
anthonybuchanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
If you want to make your point by making stuff up, you can. But I have no response to it.

You cannot prove what I said resulted in the worthless guideline is wrong.
anthonybuchanan is offline  
 
post #124 of 140 Old 01-21-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
You cannot prove what I said resulted in the worthless guideline is wrong.
Asking someone to prove a negative is an age-old logical trick and I'm not falling for it. Prove to me that the Cookie Monster doesn't exist.
erkq is online now  
post #125 of 140 Old 01-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
anthonybuchanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Asking someone to prove a negative is an age-old logical trick and I'm not falling for it. Prove to me that the Cookie Monster doesn't exist.
I believe the Cookie Monster does exist so I cannot prove he doesn't exist.
erkq likes this.
anthonybuchanan is offline  
post #126 of 140 Old 01-21-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
I believe the Cookie Monster does exist so I cannot prove he doesn't exist.
Har...
erkq is online now  
post #127 of 140 Old 01-24-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 20,237
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
If you want to make your point by making stuff up, you can. But I have no response to it.
Didn't you know we are now in the world of alternative facts. Colbert perdicted this new fact free world years ago when he created the word "truthiness"

truth·i·ness
the quality of seeming or being felt to be true

Whenever he lacks an coherent set of facts to debate the topic, he types this fake exchange. The fake exchange is based on what he would like to have happened to support his position.

Retired Moderator

FS: APC J10 Home Theater Conditioner/UPS back up $100: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...y-back-up.html
rboster is offline  
post #128 of 140 Old 01-24-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Didn't you know we are now in the world of alternative facts. Colbert perdicted this new fact free world years ago when he created the word "truthiness"

truth·i·ness
the quality of seeming or being felt to be true

Whenever he lacks an coherent set of facts to debate the topic, he types this fake exchange. The fake exchange is based on what he would like to have happened to support his position.
Yes... very familiar with it. Colbert is genius. Truthiness has become part of the lexicon.
erkq is online now  
post #129 of 140 Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
anthonybuchanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Didn't you know we are now in the world of alternative facts. Colbert perdicted this new fact free world years ago when he created the word "truthiness"

truth·i·ness
the quality of seeming or being felt to be true

Whenever he lacks an coherent set of facts to debate the topic, he types this fake exchange. The fake exchange is based on what he would like to have happened to support his position.
I need your help in deciding if something is a "Fact", an "Alternative Fact" or simply "Trustiness"

Below is the exact workplace exchange that resulted in the "sit close" guideline. I know it to be true become I heard people are saying it.

Boss: "Hey Hendersen what are you working on today".
Hendersen: "I just finished the project you had me working on".
Boss: "What are you working on next?"
Hendersen: "My week is clear I don't have any other projects I was thinking of going to the beach".
Boss: "What? You're going to the beach?"
Boss: "Makeup some damn white paper and tell people where to sit in their HT".
Boss: "And put our seal on it to make it real official like".
Hendersen: "Okay boss I will just publish some crap".

Is it" Fact", "Alternative Fact" or "Trustiness"?

Please help.
anthonybuchanan is offline  
post #130 of 140 Old 01-24-2017, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
I need your help in deciding if something is a "Fact", an "Alternative Fact" or simply "Trustiness"

Below is the exact workplace exchange that resulted in the "sit close" guideline. I know it to be true become I heard people are saying it.

Boss: "Hey Hendersen what are you working on today".
Hendersen: "I just finished the project you had me working on".
Boss: "What are you working on next?"
Hendersen: "My week is clear I don't have any other projects I was thinking of going to the beach".
Boss: "What? You're going to the beach?"
Boss: "Makeup some damn white paper and tell people where to sit in their HT".
Boss: "And put our seal on it to make it real official like".
Hendersen: "Okay boss I will just publish some crap".

Is it" Fact", "Alternative Fact" or "Trustiness"?

Please help.
I've not heard of "Trustiness" so I'm not sure how to respond.
erkq is online now  
post #131 of 140 Old 01-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
anthonybuchanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Oops.
It's the autocorrect.
Sucks.
I'm embarrassed.
anthonybuchanan is offline  
post #132 of 140 Old 01-24-2017, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
Oops.
It's the autocorrect.
Sucks.
I'm embarrassed.
Well, then I think that would be "truthiness".
erkq is online now  
post #133 of 140 Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 20,237
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
Oops.
It's the autocorrect.
Sucks.
I'm embarrassed.
No worries....autocorrect can be blessing or a curse. That reminds me how much I miss the colbert report.

Retired Moderator

FS: APC J10 Home Theater Conditioner/UPS back up $100: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...y-back-up.html
rboster is offline  
post #134 of 140 Old 01-25-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 4,969
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactjustind View Post
All the images in the first post are broken. Does anyone have them?
The information was on a user’s imageshack acct and the photos were lost it seems. They came from the carltonbale site originally. He has the widely used “where resolution becomes noticeable” graph. That graph and the viewing seating graph are both located on the same page and you can view them there. http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

That information for me has always been confusing and in some people misleading IMO. I started a thread once investigating all this and drew my own personal conclusions about this and started a somewhat controversial thread where I came up with some alternate graphs I felt were more meaningful and I compiled all my findings into the first post. The grinding out the debate is in the body of the thread for all to read.

Those charts can be found here. Seating distance 720, 1080, UHD and visual acuity.

Look over my thread and the first link and draw your own conclusions.

Bud
bud16415 is online now  
post #135 of 140 Old 02-02-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,184
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Visual acuity studies and silly interpretations aside, screen size and viewing distance are purely personal preferences that are best determined by each individual conducting their own experimentation. You can start from the THX and SMPTE recommendations if you want, but you should never let them limit your freedom of choice.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #136 of 140 Old 02-03-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 4,969
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Visual acuity studies and silly interpretations aside, screen size and viewing distance are purely personal preferences that are best determined by each individual conducting their own experimentation. You can start from the THX and SMPTE recommendations if you want, but you should never let them limit your freedom of choice.
You left one out.
Screen size, Viewing distance and (Projector Resolution).

Bud
bud16415 is online now  
post #137 of 140 Old 02-03-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,184
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 858
I didn't leave it out. It wasn't relevant to my main point, which is that people differ in their preference for screen size and viewing distance (with any projector resolution).
Dave in Green is online now  
post #138 of 140 Old 02-03-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 4,969
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I didn't leave it out. It wasn't relevant to my main point, which is that people differ in their preference for screen size and viewing distance (with any projector resolution).
For many years screen (size > viewing distance = immersion) was limited by silly acuity interpretations The size of the pixel forced the change in perception of reality in the image even when a single pixel couldn’t be discerned. That’s why ten year ago a screen size of 100” was considered large. For the most part during the time period between then and now houses didn’t get a lot larger rooms are about the same size and the number of people viewing in a home theater haven’t increased. Resolution and picture quality has improved both at home and tremendously in commercial theaters transitioning over to HD digital. Some older viewers are evolving their level of immersion and new viewers are selecting their level of immersion. Of course it is personal I have a whole thread in the CIH forum suggesting an alternate to CIH being PIA personal image area, where I suggest presentation / immersion is an individual thing and does not have to be a constant in our home theaters. Each time we go to the theater we have many rows to pick from at home most are forced into a fixed distance to the screen and the people doing CIW are really hurting themselves when watching scope movies 2.35:1. The size that is supposed to eclipse all but Imax. In suggesting this personal choice over there because now modern projectors allow it, The most scholarly of us at AVS reject this idea stating the old standards of SMPTE and THX are the word and built around human studies, and the sweet spot is the sweet spot. And when you find yours it is no longer a variable.

There is another side to the change in immersion that isn’t directly related to learned behavior. As flat panel screens grew to the size they are now and as resolution and PQ improved people were drawn in by slightly more immersion and at the same time they wanted projection to still eclipse TV. I still don’t know many that sit 3 foot from a 60” UHD TV.

An interesting note is if you look at the design of the circa 1920-30 movie palace you will find people were sitting in crazy immersive seats. SMPTE later came along and with the advent of all the scope like AR’s and changed that.

So I disagree play the same movie in VGA and UHD4k resolutions for a test audience and ask them to sit where they like. You won’t find too many sitting 1.5-2.0 X screen height away from the VGA image. You will find them liking and enjoying that image at 6.0 X though.

If you are a classic film buff like I am or someone that enjoys classic TV. Many of these things have been remastered and many not. If you are a person that might like to watch a movie like Avatar as if in an Imax theater but a romantic comedy as an easy watch. Then all these standards go out the window on a practical level as well as a visual acuity level, and PIA is what you should be thinking about.

Bud
bud16415 is online now  
post #139 of 140 Old Today, 03:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster

I recently picked up a non working Epson 8350 (US model, I live in Australia) projector for $50, long story short it was a little servo motor and I have ordered a replacement part for $5 off ebay so that is all sorted now.

Now my plan was to get the projector all sorted then throw it up on the wall and see what size screen looked good etc etc.

Anyway I have impulse bought a screen technics 92" fixed screen from a guy nearby off gumtree, I picked it up for $150 and it is in perfect condition so I though it was too good to pass up.

Now the details are:

View distance from screen: 2.95M

Maximum throw distance from projector lense to screen: 2.8M

Now I have done a bit of a calculation on projector central and to me it appears that if I put a 2.8M throw distance in it gives me a max diagonal screen size of 69" (I will talk in imperial regarding screen size as it is easier to relate in my opinion) however this I believe is right in the middle of the possible zoom ratio's? Would I be correct in assuming that? If I look at the throw range in the top right it appears if I zoom out I could get to a relative 4.38M?

If I am correct in my thinking and type a 4.38M throw distance in it shows a 100"+ screen size.

So am I reading all this correctly? I am a projector newbie so this is all foreign.

Also any opinions on full 1080p content from 3m away?

I would only watch 1080p content, no lower quality source material.

Thanks for any input guys
micky_macca is offline  
post #140 of 140 Old Today, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 5,515
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Using this calculator (assuming it's the same 8350):

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

It looks like you can get (43" to) 93 diag from 2.8m

From 4.3m you can get 6" to 145"

2.95m from a 92" diagonal 16:9 screen (1.2m tall) is just fine (approx 2.5 x screen height).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Gary Lightfoot is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off