Cheap temporary screen - HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-17-2001, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gang I sold my Greyhawk and the new one will not arrive until the end of the first week in Jan. - i am now "screenless"!

Considering all the New Year's games and the wife maybe getting me a HD receiver, I'm in need of a "portable", cheap screen for HD, so 16:9 shaped more or less. This will be thrown away when the new Stewart screen arrives and needs to be easily placed in the garage when the program is over and the wife says "move it" out of here!

I need your design ideas, and thank you!!! rough size, 45" x 80".

Dave

PS: Can Home Depot help me out here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-18-2001, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

4'X8' tile board or formica or Plastex Polywall from local home improvement store should work. You can always use a white wall if you have one. White blackout fabric always work well (54" wide X multiple yards) for $5/yard at fabric stores (Joann or Hancock). Walmart has white duck cloth that's 60" wide X yards for $4/yard.

If native surfaces are not adequate, all these surfaces mentioned can be painted with flat, bright white (neutral gain) or light gray (lower gain but higher contrast) paint. Heck painting a 4'X8' plywood or sheetrock works too. Some just use a bright white sheet with high thread count with a flat black sheet behind it tacked on wall or frame.

Huey ;-]
post #3 of 7 Old 12-18-2001, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Huey, thanks as always for great suggestions. Temp screen needs to be very portable - it needs to hang in "front of" 12' wide entertainment unit from the top, then when movie etc. is done, remove it to the garage.

I will go to Home depot and look for some type of white hardboard that is somewhat rigid, not too flexible like Formica. Maybe I can hang it over the top of the enter. unit on hooks and cables then unhook it when i'm done. any other ideas out there?
Maybe primed and painted 1/4" plywood, cut 45" x 80"?

Dave
post #4 of 7 Old 12-20-2001, 05:52 AM

mmcdlc-- If you haven't gotten your screen yet, I've got something and for cheaper..

I bought the biggest sheets of drywall possible for $8 a piece, primed it, paint it with a really white paint and nailed it to my wall..

It works GREAT.

Here's the link:
http://armorform.com/page25.html

Nathan

I will soon be purchasing:
Dayton 15" DVC
Pioneer 811
Sound Clearing House Speakers
CRT projector
DVD/HDCD Player

And a bunch more useless processors...
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2001, 05:43 PM

Dave: Check out my post "HDTV Screeen High quality at Very Low Cost". This material from Parkland Plastic is great. You don't need to paint, light weight, and it might even be better than the Stewart screen. If available in your area, give it a try. All those that have used it so far think it's great. Good luck.

Ron
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2001, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Assuming you do not mind a few thumbtack holes in your wall, you might consider some blackout material and thumbtacks. Just tack the screen up on the wall and take it down when you need to. That is what I did until my Stewart arrived.

Regards,

Brian
post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2001, 01:51 PM

I'm using a large piece of foamcore I bought from Aaron Bros. art store for around $30. After cutting one side a bit I have a 97" 16:9 screen, and it's light enough that I have it hanging from my ceiling with some wire. Works pretty good until I get my Gray/Firehawk in a few weeks.

BTW, you will probably have to ask them to get it from the back of the store where they do the framing.

Best,

Banned from the pub
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page