Masking design ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-18-2001, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
dre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to make a masking setup for a pull down screen that is kept up except when watching dvd's and tv ??pull down

IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY...OR WHAT !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-18-2001, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

You can do what I did. Get a 4X8 sheet of insulation from Home Depot & some black felt from a fabric store. Depending on the length of your screen, cut two pieces for top and bottom masking the appropriate width to leave screen real estate for a 1.85:1 picture. Apply felt then install male & female velcro on screen borders & masking panels. Takes about 30 seconds to put up & put away when not in use. I'll snap some pics if you need a visual.

Petey
post #3 of 12 Old 12-18-2001, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
dre

Petey:

That's not bad....I think I get it.

If my screen is a 60x80 format , how do I decide what size to make the masking borders ??

Also, do you have different borders for different aspect ratios?

Thanks

dre

post #4 of 12 Old 12-18-2001, 12:14 PM

I'm also interested in masking a rollup screen:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=99114

But I admit, I'm striving for a couch-potato (and wife) friendly solution; in other words, a much more complex, computer coltrolled, motorized setup. But I'm still interested in any ideas that may come about in this thread.

Althought my other thread doesn't talk much about masking, it's one of the major design considerations. I expect my screen to have a black border attached (on the sides and bottom). A black mask will be suspended from the housing where the screen rolls up into (independent of the screen). By adjusting the screen height (and assuming the HTPC is top aligning the image) I can achieve any aspect ratio I want (wihtout getting off the couch).

One problem I'm contending with is how to make the top mask border retreat into the screen housing when the screen is closed. I've considered using an additional motor, but I'm also looking at a purely mechanical solution (as opposed to an electro-mechanical one, i.e., the motor).
post #5 of 12 Old 12-18-2001, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dre
Petey:

That's not bad....I think I get it.

If my screen is a 60x80 format , how do I decide what size to make the masking borders ??

Also, do you have different borders for different aspect ratios?

Thanks

dre
Same size screen as mine. I went edge to edge on the length (think it was 86"). Projected a 1.85:1 movie on the screen (centered) to measure for panel heights (think they were about 14"). No left & right panels because my image width is always edge to edge on the screens built-in masking. I actually cut my panels in half to create 4 separate pieces to facilitate easy storage next to my widescreen TV. If I watch anything larger than 1.85:1 I forgo the panels and anything smaller I live with the small black bars on top and bottom. You could create some some kind of secondary flip panels for 2.35:1 movies but I was in a rush to get something up so I kept the design simple. Maybe when I have a good block of spare time on my hands I'll actually implement the adjustable panels but for now the improvement is outstanding. Feels more like a movie theater with panels in place!

Petey
post #6 of 12 Old 12-30-2001, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a very simple masking solution for my Seleco-projection. A black roller curtain in front of a pull down screen (with black borders). Behind the screen : Black cloth mounted on curtain -hangers in front of the hidden speakers. Velvet-curtains on the sides. ..So i can fix the right aspect ratio by hand in a second and it looks great! Why motorize? This costs much less...Pictures will be sent later...
post #7 of 12 Old 12-30-2001, 09:10 PM

Petey - I wouldn't mind seeing how your screen looks with your "do-it-yourself" masks.

I'm thinking of getting a 1.85 aspect ratio screen and using the masks for watching 2.35:1 movies.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-31-2001, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
dre

Andy :

I understand how you roll down the masking on a rod from the top... but what do you do about the lower masking from the bottom ???

post #9 of 12 Old 12-31-2001, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorry, I wish I could show you my pictures. If you want to see them.. go to: www.dvdforum.nu (swedish site) and click on hemmabiogalleriet...Andy Pandy ...The lower rod (with the black cloth hanging down from it) is 1 meter high and the screen pulls down just in front of it. The cloth is tightened to a rod on the floor.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-31-2001, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Here you go:

www.pbase.com/image/834455
post #11 of 12 Old 01-01-2002, 10:09 AM

Petey,

That's a nice screen set-up you have. Just wondering about a few things though...

1. Isn't it possible to pull down the screen to just the bottom edge of a 1.85:1 image (upper edge of your lower mask) in order to do away with the bottom masking panel? Or can the screen be lowered only at certain fixed intervals?

2. Don't you experience wrinkles in your screen? Doesn't the velcro attached to the screen have any effect when the fabric is rolled back to it's casing?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers - Sonny

sonny b.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-01-2002, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sonny b

1. Isn't it possible to pull down the screen to just the bottom edge of a 1.85:1 image (upper edge of your lower mask) in order to do away with the bottom masking panel? Or can the screen be lowered only at certain fixed intervals?

2. Don't you experience wrinkles in your screen? Doesn't the velcro attached to the screen have any effect when the fabric is rolled back to it's casing?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers - Sonny
Thanks for the kudos Sonny!

The screen can be lowered to various intervals but I used the double masking system for 3 reasons:

- Without lowering the screen to full open the horizontal velcro for the top masking panel would have to placed on the white screen vs the built-in screen black borders. I have a 4 panel sysem so velcro was essential on the horizontal axis.

- The double masking adds uniformity overall & creates a more theater-like effect.

- Most front projectors have a natural halo (grayish black) around the projected image (can provide pics if visual needed) which the panels effectively absorb for the top & bottom for 1.85:1 aspect ratio movies. Still need to create some thin panels for left & right.

I had the same worries myself about the velcro reaking havoc on my screen while retracted, but it's so thin that I haven't noticed any velcro induced wrinkles or mechanical anamolies in the month & a half that I have been using the system.

Petey
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page