Screen Border - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2001, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since it's already known, I might as well acknowledge that I'm a cheapass. And am looking for a good border for my (formica) screen.

I was looking at black velour fabric, and three things are clear:
- cheaper ones are *glossy* at an oblique angle,
- hard to cut in a straight line, and
- they fray.

So what I have in mind is black velour ribbon, at least 2.5" wide. This is hard to find, but I know Berwick Intl of Berwick PA makes it. Has anyone used this? How to contact?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2001, 07:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Centaur,
Use velvet fabric pulled tightly over the frame. Get good scissors! Use spray adhesive and pull the fabric tightly and then staple from the back as well. Pull over frame components prior to assembly. Good luck.
Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 12-26-2001, 11:05 AM

centaur,

Cheapass... Here's my two cents and about $40 dollars in materials.

See if this idea will work. Instead of attaching to the screen, create a floating mask. Take a few pieces of straight 1x4 or 6's that are cut 1/4" shy of the outside edge of your formica screen. This way you'll get some extra space from the screen. Bigger is better.

Anyways, route a nice beveled edge, sand and use a good black primer on the wood pieces. Next take your velour and wrap the "frame", use staples. Then add several strips of velcro along the back side, ends and middle, again staple. Place opposing strips of velcro on wall around formica screen, you might want to place these on scrap strips of formica that have been screwed to the stud so they won't come off the sheetrock.

Now "stick" your border on the screen when the projector is running so you can get the overlap just right.

I've got a 1.85/1 lcd panel on my projector so I've also added velcro strips where the 4x3 verticals intersect and the side strips for the top and bottom move to match the height of a 2.35 picture.

Last, if you've got the space and the woman approves, attach curtains or dark bed sheets to the outside edges of the masks and use them to cover the wall for light spill and cool theatre factor. Use the "fake" wall to hide your speakers.

Scott
Old 12-26-2001, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

I did as Art suggests. In fact, I stretched the Velvet over the frame members before cutting the miters. That way I didn't have to deal with covering tricky corners. When I cut the miters, the saw frayed the edge of the velvet. A 1/2" velvet strip or ribbon can then be used to cover only the joint (at a diagonal).

The results are fantastic. I have a Stewart Grayhawk with the deluxe frame and Velux covering, but my DIY frame soaks up the light from overscan even better. It is tough to beat velvet for light absorption.

BTW, I use both screens in my set up. 87x49 Greyhawk and 108x46 DIY. The screens slide into position from an adjoining utility room, on a track.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2001, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Cool suggestions guys. Thanks.

Believe it or not I've found an even cheaper material: FELT.

The clerk at Hancock said all the photographers buy it for backdrop.

I guess velcro could be used to attach black felt 'wings' to the screen for 4:3. (absorb the bands)
Old 01-07-2002, 07:37 AM

A little late but,
There is a fabric tape that can be used to make good masking boarders. You can make sharp edges easy with this stuff.

http://www.thetapeworks.com/duvepro.htm
Old 01-07-2002, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the heads-up Ron. I just ordered a couple of rolls. I'll report back on how it looks (how black).

Have you seen the tape?

Jeff
Old 01-07-2002, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The tape sounds good, please report back when you get it up. I may try it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Finally went digital: RS20, ISCO IIIs, DIY 10.5' wide torus screen, Stewart StudioTek 1.3 G3 with 4 way masking and adjustable image size
Old 01-07-2002, 11:59 AM

I have not seen it. It should be the right stuff since it's Duvetyne.
I've been looking for something like this for a while and just found it today. Ill be ordering some tonight after I figure out how much I need.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:35 AM

centaur,

I'm currently using black felt paper (real cheap) as border for my DIY screen and it looks nice...soaks up the light spill pretty well. However, the felt paper I got was only available in sheets of 22"x28" so I had to use several sheets to cover the 6" border (thick cardboard) of my 80"x43" (1.85:1) screen. It would have been nice if the felt paper was available in longer lengths...the border would probably look more professional.

Ron/Jeffrey,

I checked out the link to the Duvetyne tape. This looks like an easier option for making black borders and masking panels. Please tell us how the tape looks and how good a material is it for a screen border. I intend to make another DIY screen and just might use this tape for the borders. The website also says it can be ordered in custom widths up to 48"...would be great for making masking panels as well.

Thanks - Sonny B.

sonny b.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:28 PM