Attn: Plv-60ht/ Se-13hd Owners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-26-2001, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting ready to purchase the SE-13HD and want to know what screen everyone is using with this projector.....Size, Mfg./Model and Gain.

I will be getting a 52"x 92" screen (16:9) and will have 100% control over ambient light in the room (basement HT with Lutron Grafik Eye). I am debating between the da-lite, da-mat Cinema Contour with the pro-trim and the da-lite High contrast and the Stewart Greyhawk.

I am concerned that the grey/high contrast screen will not be necessary given my control over the ambient light and also it is my understanding that blacks are improved at the expense of colors (makes sense, since the screen has a gray bias now). Let me put my flame suit on now!! :eek:

I will use my projector/screen for mainly DVD viewing (dimly lit to dark room as well as regular entertaining with recessed can lights controlled via the Lutron Grafik Eye system).

Any comments, or more importantly 1st hand experience with either type of screen would be welcomed and appreciated before I make my purchase in the next week! :D

Thanks, Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-27-2001, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Brett,

I tried my PLV-60 (same as the SE-13HD) on a friends 120" wide Stewart microperforated Greyhawk with a gain of 0.85. With an image about 8.5-9' wide, there was sufficient brightness. The room had total light control, and even with the lights off, the improvement in black level and colour saturation as compared to a matte white surface was noticeable. The image should be really bright on a non-microperforated 52" x 92" Greyhawk. I have not seen the Da-Lite High Contrast and so cannot comment on this screen. Based upon my experience with the PLV-60 and Greyhawk combination, I would definitely recommend some sort of grey screen with the SE-13HD.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-27-2001, 05:48 PM

Brett, just am now ordering my second Stewart electric screen. Having has a electric 100" 4:3 Greyhawk, I can say that without a doubt it will help with the 13HD, not hurt. The build quality of don's screens is remarkable. Da-Lite and others make nice screens, and i'd own one if I had never seen a Stewart screen, but I have! Having said that they are simply the best! In your room I'd go Greyhawk as everything is well controlled. I will be getting a 106" 16:9 92" x 52" electric FIREHAWK with the 13HD only because of the ambient light into my family room.

Last thing, call Jason here at AVS for your screen. He and AVS are the best to deal with, great pricing and great customer service.

Cheers,

Dave
post #4 of 5 Old 12-27-2001, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Dave, thanks for your input.....Do they Gray screens improve blacks at the expense of colors??? Or does it improve the overall image quality??

One would think that because the screen now has a gray bias that it would alter the reds, yellows, blues and even dull whites.

Am I wrong here?? So much positive press but I just want to make sure I ask all the right questions.

Brett
post #5 of 5 Old 12-28-2001, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I found that gray screens increase colour saturation. Be sure to calibrate the projector for the screen that it is to be used with.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page