How to choose a grey paint for a DIY screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-30-2001, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been experimenting with different grey paints in an attempt to find a grey that will offer improved black levels without sacrificing brightness too much.

In all cases I have been using Behr Premium Plus paint with ultra white as the base and differing amounts of black. The resulting grey seems to have a slight blue tinge to it. Most premixed grey paints seem to include other pigments such as magneta or yellow, however, I didn't think that these should be included in paint to be used for a projection screen. Is this correct? Also, I am leaning towards the use of eggshell as it seems to offer increased brightness over flat without the sheen of satin.

I would be very interested in finding out what other people have found to work. Any comments would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-31-2001, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My DIY screen uses Behr "ultra pure white" flat that was converted to Behr "gray tropics" flat by Home Depot.
I guess you could get the Behr "ultra pure white" in eggshell and have Home Depot convert that to Behr "gray tropics" eggshell.
HD should know how to convert the paint to Behr "gray tropics".

Here is how to make the Behr "gray tropics".

Behr "ultra pure white" flat converted to Behr "gray tropics" flat PIC-56.

Colorant OZ 48 96
B Lamp Black 0 3 1
C Yellow Oxid 0 1 0
L Raw Umber 0 4 0

I have an lcd projector.
Colors and blacks really pop.
FYI, this screen is a very light gray and looks white to the naked eye.
It only looks gray when a can of white primer is put next to it.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-01-2002, 08:43 AM

Liked: 10
Scott,

I'll be getting different screen samples early in the New Year and plan on having Home Depot try color matching. I'll let you know of the outcome.

I'm still toying with the idea of a DIY screen initially. The Stewart I want will be between $2500 and $3000 CAD. That's a lot of coin that I would like to put towards audio at this stage. The better screen might come in down the road.

Bruce aka Ray

Still looking for that Home Theatre.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-01-2002, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Bruce,

I'll be curious about what you find out.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-01-2002, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

I would recommend checking out KBK's ScreenGoo as well, his paints are meant to be used on projection screens. If you were going with a matt white screen, you could definitely use a more conventional brand of paint. However once you start looking at colour matching it becomes a a different story.

Unless the paint store you are using has a spectrophotometer (which I don't believe is generally the case) a colour match may not be good enough. What you really need is a ... "spectrum" match I guess is a good word. Because projector lamps have different spectral characteristics than incandescent bulbs you may find that once you put a colour matched paint in front of your projector it looks different than the reference.

Also, the Stewart Greyhawk has an optical coating that gives it a higher gain, and better ambient light rejection. That you won't be able to duplicate with a conventional paint.

Check out KBK's ScreenGoo, it won't be the same as a commercial grey screen, but it may work better than a colour match.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #6 of 10 Old 01-03-2002, 02:20 PM

I was going to try to paint a screen, but decided to go a diufferent route.

Try using a 4x8 sheet of white or lite grey Formica instead (see my post on this board). You will be astounded ! It took me a couple hours at Home Depot to select all the materials and about 4 hours to construct altogether, but what you get is a PERFECTLY UNIFORM and also an exceptionaly DURABLE surface that you will not get with paint.

HT_Enthusiast
post #7 of 10 Old 01-03-2002, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HT-Enthusiast,
I am looking to get a 60"x111" screen, so it would seem that the sheets of Formica will not work in my case.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-04-2002, 06:24 AM

Liked: 12
I tested the stewart grayhawk in the hope that it would be much better than my grey paint for the vw11, unfortunately this was not the case. Altho I need to redo my screen in a blue grey (which I had had on a previous test) instead of a red grey (red as adviced by someone else)(in which I also added too much silver paint, see vw11 thread) which I decided I do not like for the vw11, it still gave better blacks and brighter whites than the grayhawk. The grayhawk gave better colours, but this is cause the grayhawk is a blue grey, which is definately the colour to go, at least for the vw11.

PS scott I do believe there is nothing wrong with trying different colours in the grey. It all depends on what your projector needs to improve colours.

Mo
post #9 of 10 Old 01-04-2002, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I used Glidden brand flat white and bought a quart of Glidden flat black to mix with. I have a Sony 10HT projector, screen size is 4' x 7.1' (16:9). I ended up with a a light gray color close to 'Universal gray'. I didn't have Home Depot mix this color since it called for some yellow and red pigments...was afraid color would not be exactly gray. I have a picture of my DIY screen on this forum...just seach with keywords...'Glidden'...'Universal'...'Gray'...in the "screen" section.

Steve
post #10 of 10 Old 01-10-2002, 11:56 PM

:cool: I used Benjamin Moore Latex flat white base and a primer.
The cool thing I found was Floetrol it is a latex paint conditioner. What it does is lets the paint flow which is a big problem with flat paints. It is fantastic, the finish ends up to be perfect looks like it`s sprayed on. Just use a good roller and you can't get a flatter finish. The Moore base white is the whitest paint you can find, it has no tints like the rest. Check it out for your self! I love my screen and it cost me $35.00 at Days Paints. That`s a steel!!!
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page