Floor-standing frame mount? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-07-2002, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a fixed wall-mounted Stewart Studiotek 130 screen in my basement theater that I just love. It uses the 2" "lightbox" frame mounted directly on the wall.

I am thinking of getting a grayhawk for another room. The projector is a SE13HD LCD projector. I would really rather not make either a permanent fixture on the wall, or hanging from the ceiling for a pull-down. It occurred to me that if I had the exact same frame as the Studiotek, but didn't wall mount it, that there might be some way to build a couple of small stands, that the frame could rest down into. This is going to be weak, but something like:

Code:
wccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
w
w
w
w    s
w    s
w    s
w    s
w    s
w    s
w    s
w    s
w    s
w    s               <- front of screen
w    s
w    s
w    s 
w   |s|
w   |s|
w   |s|
w   |s|
w   |s|
w   |s|              <- screen base up 3 or 4 feet
w   | |                 from the floor
w   | |
w   | |
w   | |
w   | |
w -------------     <-stand on floor, against the wall
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

w= wall
s= screen
f= floor 
c= ceiling
Does this make sense? I suppose it's too much to ask that something like this is available ready made? What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-08-2002, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I see Stewart's website makes mention of optional available "t-stands" for fixed mount screens. There's no other information on them that I can see however. Does anyone have a photo, diagram, or other description of what these are?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2002, 05:49 AM

Lastnight I made a temp screen holder for a Da-lite all mount. I set the wall mount unit on the subwoofer and used PVC pipe to hold the screen up. (the screen is mounted upside-down). I drilled holes in the PVC of a hook to hold the pull-down thing that is usually at the bottom. The PVC was mounted to a piece of 18"x24" wood with a closet flange fitting. The subwoofer sat on the wood to keep the system stable. The center channel is on top of the sub, but in front of the screen box.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2002, 06:17 PM

I made something similar last week. I had a small roll down screen, but wanted a bigger one, so I bought a thin MDF board, painted it light gray, built a frame, placed the thing on top of a cd rack I have and nailed the frame (in the back) to the cd rack.
This worked out well for me, because I have onlly two options, to place the screen in front of a window, or in front of the door. I putted some weels on the rack, so I can slide it away when it´s not being used, because as I said it covers my door and the recessed 32 Panasonic TV.
I will have to build anotherone because the cd rack is too thin and, even with some weight on the shelves is not very stable.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-11-2002, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Somebody from Stewart sent me a PDF file that has a diagram of the t-stands. They look ideal. They actually attach to the back of the frame. Assuming they aren't radically expensive :) I will probably just use these.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page