Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2002, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
kcl
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a new CRT projector owner that has just purchased a Sony G70. The room where we're going to put this system constrains us to a motorized, drop-down screen. We're going to use it almost exclusively for movies, and we've decided on a 52" by 92" screen. I'm just not certain how it fits within the room.

In another "screen height" thread, the consensus seems to be that "1/3 screen height from eye level to screen bottom" is a good rule of thumb. With our eye level in that room at about 45", this says that we should have the bottom of the screen at about 28" to 30" from the floor. However, when ceiling-mounting the Sony G70 with this screen size, the "natural" bottom of the screen (from PJcalc) is about 70" from the ceiling, or 50" from the floor.

So my question for you folks out there that have actually seen projection systems and screens (:)); is this too high for long-term, comfortable viewing? Assuming it is, how far off of the floor do you think I can get away with?

Ken

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2002, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The bottom of my 60" high screen is 43" from the floor, and It is fine. More space below the screen gives you more room to place the center channel.

Vern Dias
Old 01-07-2002, 08:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm just starting construction of my theater, and I too will have 10' ceilings coupled with a Sony CRT (G90). Using a 56" tall fixed screen, I am going to have to build a fixed, sheetrocked extension "box" that drops down about 28" from the ceiling from which to hang my projector to achieve an acceptable screen height that won't leave my guests with severe neck discomfort...it was either that or (1) screw up the G90 geometry with a too high mounting position or (2) raise the screen another 28" from its start of 22" off the floor. Obviosuly (1) wasn't acceptable and (2) really pushed the neck strain envelope to new heights. At first, I thought having a 30"x42"x28" (WxLxH) box projecting from the ceiling in the middle of the room would look ridiculous, but now I'm getting used to it...plus, I'm putting a return in there to suck out the heat exhaust from the projector. In theory, I could even extend the dimensions of the box a wee bit and turn it into a pseudo hush box, but the G90 is pretty quiet to begin with.

The additional cost of the construction of the box is almost negligible...so if you find that your screen mounting is too high given your projector constraints, this may be an alternative for you to consider.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
Old 01-08-2002, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

A difference of 5" (45 vs 50) doesn't sound like that much and I personally wouldn't worry too much. (With that said, my stuff is not in place yet. But the planning is.)

Just as a way to gauge what works for you, and if you have time before the install, visit a theater and after you've picked your seat estimate where your eyeball level is. I found that I migrate toward the 1/3 rule.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
kcl
AVS Club Gold

My understanding of the 1/3 rule is that eye level should be one-third of the way up the screen, which puts the bottom of the screen at 28", not 50" (52/3 = 17.3, 45-17.3 = 27.7). This is almost a two foot difference.

Oops, its even worse than that. I just measured our eye level in the chairs we'll be using again and I was wrong; eye level is at about 38 inches, not 45. That would say the bottom of the screen should be at about 20", which is almost a two and a half foot difference.

It sure looks like I'll have to do some re-thinking about projector and screen mounting. :(

Ken

Ken
Old 01-08-2002, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about that rule, but also consider whether you are using recliners for theater seats or not.

With your head sloped back, you can get away with a higher mounting. I'm at 36" eye level reclined and my 54" high 16:9 screen bottom is at 25" off the floor. I'm 7" below the "rule" but it looks fine. The bottom of 2.35:1 material is another 13" above the screen bottom, and it looks fine too. Never have to bend my head forward or feel I need to sit up. Depends on type of recliner. YMMV.

Carey
Old 01-09-2002, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
kcl
AVS Club Gold

Carey -- That's a great point; we are using recliners, and we're almost always reclined when watching a movie. I also hadn't thought about the fact that we'll be sitting 12' to 13' back from the screen. An 18" height difference at that viewing distance has less impact than at 8' or 9'. So with this in mind, last night my wife and I made a screen mockup and tried various heights. What we found was a little surprising.

First, our current system is a 53" RPTV whose screen bottom is about 14" off of the floor. We were surprised to discover that both of us are a little strained when watching TV reclined, and that both of us have privately wished the screen was a little higher (maybe 12").

Next we determined that, with our recliners and a 12' viewing distance, we were most comfortable with the bottom of the 52" x 92" mockup at about thirty-four inches. This is significantly higher than the 18" or 19" you get from the 1/3 rule, and IMO is a much more workable height. It means that I would only need a drop-down screen with about 25" of top masking, which I don't think is unreasonable at all.

Ken
Old 01-09-2002, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

kcl,

Yes, I'm 12 ft back too. Also I have wall-away recliners which tend to keep your head more level when reclined, rather than sloping it way back. This makes a difference too. Good luck.

Carey