2.35:1 screen owners--- pictures and info. please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-09-2002, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I've read a number of posts from people with 2.35:1 ratio constant height/variable width screens, but almost no one seems to have posted pictures of their set ups.

Would some of you be willing to post pictures and detail how you achieved your constant height/variable width theaters (projector, scaler, lenses, matting, etc.)? Also post room dimensions (H/W/L), screen size, as well as seating distances.

It would be a great general FYI for people on this forum looking into creating a true cinematic experience.

Thanks!

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-12-2002, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Isn't anyone willing to show off their 2.35:1 ratio home theaters?

Help a guy out here will ya? :)

Dan

post #3 of 9 Old 01-12-2002, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dan, are you talking about a constant height 2.35 screen that masks down for 16:9 or 4:3?

Deane
post #4 of 9 Old 01-12-2002, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A reply!

Yeah, as I tried to explain above I'm looking for 2.35:1 ratio screen home theaters that are constant height/variable width design... like all good commercial movie theaters.

Thanks!

Dan

post #5 of 9 Old 01-12-2002, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Dan:

You are describing, in my opinion, the ultimate apprach to home theater and the way I would like to do mine someday. Since I have a 4:3 LCD panel, I'm constant width and variable height.

Screen and masking wise, it seems much more simple than variable height. One would only need to have a simple traverse rod with black velvet hanging on it for the side masks. This could be motorized and simply stop at the appropriate place for the format to be used.

I think the equipment issue is much greater since you'd probably have to zoom when going down from 16:9 to 2.35 to maintian height. While this is probably very doable, I prefer everything to be automated. I'd want to be able to push one button on my remote for 2.35 and have everything automatically change to that. Lazy, no, I like showmanship. Wouldn't it be cool if the projectors were made with pre-programmable stops for the zoom lens?

This was the way wide screen was orginally intended to be done. When Cinemascope (even the word looks neat in print) came out in the mid 50's, screens remained the same height as before, but went panoramic for the 2.55 films. It was an awesome sight after only seeing 1.33 for years. They even changed the curtains to rise vertically to increase the sensation.

I hope this thread generates some discussion. I too would like to learn what people are doing in this regard.

Deane
post #6 of 9 Old 01-12-2002, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

With a 1.78:1 paneled digital projector, one would need a)an anamorphic lens with the proper stretch ratio, and b)some easy way to create a properly scaled anamorphic squeeze of 2.35:1 material off a 16x9 enhanced DVD (or HDTV broadcast). Digital correction and memory blocks to off set any barrel or pincushion distortion or focusing issues would be most welcomed too.

I don't know if a zoom would be the most logical choice nowadays. It only would work for CRTs, which seem to becoming more obsolute as the next advancement in digital projection comes out.

I'm of the opinion that any new HD-DVD format should come anamorphically enhanced for 2.35:1 and wider movies (w/ windowboxing for 2.0:1 up to 70mm ratio movies and slight letterboxing for 2.55:1 and wider formats within the anamorphic 2.35:1 enhancement). That way all 1920x1080 pixels for 2.35:1 movies could be utilized, and a bigger demand would be produced for widescreen digital front projectors and some sort of automated, motorized lens system.

For Deane, and myself and other's curiosity, please all you 2.35:1 screen owners help us with our request and supply us with feedback and pics.

Dan

post #7 of 9 Old 01-13-2002, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: the REAL cinema experience at home: THAT's the trick.
Liked: 10
yo Dan ! :)

here it goes !
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huntforpr...iew=t&.hires=t
btw, I second you with the idea of 2.35:1 movies on HD DVD to be 2.35 enhanced . I doubt though this will occur, as I doubt 2.35 native DLP or DILA will occur either... but a 16/9 native with an ISCO II sure do it ! :)

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huntforpr...c=ph%26.view=t
post #8 of 9 Old 01-14-2002, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks David600!

A few questions:

Is it a true constant height/variable width screen? Hard to tell from your group of photos. That type I'm looking for.

What do you use to create the 2.35:1 image? Are you just zooming in?

Keep 'em coming!

Dan

post #9 of 9 Old 01-14-2002, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: the REAL cinema experience at home: THAT's the trick.
Liked: 10
Hi Dan

I still use an lcd projector which has a zoom and focus control by remote but is not recent enough to zoom a 2.35 movie into its panel, which are not 16/9 either. I however had an ISCO II for an evening some weeks ago and visual impact was stunning and significantly reduced the "black" bars of course.

No, what I do for 2.35 movies is just pulling my screen ( which is manual) and that's it. But the visual impact of no "visible" black bars is very cinematic. Ideally, an electric screen or a 2.35 large screen is better with today projectors where you can zoom a movie inside the panel as you want.

When I say large 2.35 screen, I mean that since the constant height rule as in cinemas will be used, a 1.85 movie might look a bit too small with a 10ft 2.35 screen, so, prefer a screen of 13ft or larger if you want to go the 2.35 format way. Imho :)

Currently, I just pulled up the screen for 2.35 stuff and pull it down for 1.85-1.78 movies so I maintain constant
width

the photos most often include screencaptures in fact :D ( PREDATOR, RED PLANET)

Look at so much bigger the 4.3meter look.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page