Anyone with a 12ft ceiling and a screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-05-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks,

Anyone use a PJ and screen in a room with 12ft ceilings?

I'm redoing my room, and plan on painting my screen on (currently using a pull down screen). My concern is the 'balance' of the screen on the wall, I don't want it too high or too low, but I've done some digging on the 'ideal height'.

It would appear my current screen is too high, so it will come down a bit, but I'm looking for some examples.

thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The general rule is to place the screen at a height such that 1/3 of the viewing area is below the viewer's seated eye level. Placing the screen too high can result in a sore neck after watching a long movie. Other factors, such as speaker locations and seeing over other viewers' heads in a multiple-row theater may force you to depart somewhat from this rule.

A high ceiling should not affect the ideal screen height. It may force you to use an extension rod, however, if you plan to ceiling mount your projector.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-08-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hey FLBoy,

Thanks for the reply.

I was aware of the rule of 1/3s, and did some preliminary calcs based on my screen and room. I was coming up with my 78" screen being 13" from the floor, which means there is about 53" from the top of the screen to the ceiling.

Although this is where the screen 'should' be, it really throws the balance off the wall. I'm just looking for real world examples of my scenario to see what others have done.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 AM

I have 11' ceilings in my living room and found that I needed to get the top of the screen at least 3' down as I got neck aches if it were higher as it initially was. I use a roll down suspended by decorative chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page