Shoppingdeals screens on E-Bay - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 107 Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really would love to hear some feedback from owners of these screens as I am almost settled on this especially white vs. grey.
As always thank you for any responses!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 01-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Update: I have not yet received my screen, BUT I do want to mention how easy it has been to do business with James. He's been very responsive to emails and he actually let me change my order after a few days (scope to 16:9). He was very accommodating and refunded me the difference immediately. Good experience so far. Will keep you posted when I get the screen.
post #93 of 107 Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey everyone. I just stumbled upon this seller while searching for a screen. Decided to google on AVS and don't you know there was a thread about his screens

I have a Mitsubishi HC1600 which I got for $300 so I could not pass it up. It lacks in the contrast so I thought perhaps a gray screen would be more ideal versus a white screen. This PJ is going in my living room where the walls will be painted a yellow-cream color when my laminate flooring goes in. I'd like to keep 16:9 format. Light control will be some what of a issue, but I will try to throw up some nice curtains or Blackout shades over my blinds to help. The room is about 18ft in length, 15 feet wide along with 9 foot ceilings. I will have my Onkyo 807 hooked to the PJ to upscale to 1080p along with other goodies in my sig. I plan to use this to watch movies, some Direct TV and game. I plan to mount the PJ about 12-13 feet from the viewing area and wonder what would be the best size screen to go with. I'm thinking anywhere from 100 to 110" should work. Didn't want to go bigger has it probably would take up to much of the wall and sit to low to the floor. I read that you want to try and keep the screen 3ft from the floor. When picking a screen size do you have to worry about losing some of the PQ if going to big? Since this PJ is obviously not the best I'd like to preserve or gain as much as possible.

So any input on screen size and color choice would GREATLY be appreciated.

Thanks a lot
Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #94 of 107 Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Can someone tell me how the side of the screen frame looks? I spent the afternoon reading these posts and think this could look great for my theatre and budget. But on the eBay page there is a picture from the side of the frame that shows the wood and metal frame. My room is open on the right and this would be easily seen. If so has anyone found an easy way to cover up the side?

Thanks,
Adam
post #95 of 107 Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 PM

Okay so I got my screen home and assembled tonight. Putting the frame together was easy. The parts were.labeled clearly and there were no surprises if you follow the instructions. The frame seems fairly sturdy but it's not something I would move around too much. I will say that I ordered the 130" 16:9 screen so it's a BIG frame, which may take away some perception of solidity that you would get from a smaller screen.

Anyway next came the tough part (and again the sheer size of this thing made it more of a challenge IMO) the stretching of the screen. It's a bit of a task stretching the material evenly while tightening down the screws. My wife and I got it semi tight and flipped it over to check our progress. We have two or three wrinkled areas to work out and this is where it gets a little tough. We had to quit for the night cause it was getting late. Will continue tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

Unfortunately I can't yet review the screen quality as we don't have the projector yet. That will come later, with a review.

I will just say that for the money I don't regret this purchase, even without seeing a picture yet. It would have to show a pretty horrible picture for me to say it wasn't worth it. If you're on a very tight budget like me I say go for it.
post #96 of 107 Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalt45 View Post

Can someone tell me how the side of the screen frame looks? I spent the afternoon reading these posts and think this could look great for my theatre and budget. But on the eBay page there is a picture from the side of the frame that shows the wood and metal frame. My room is open on the right and this would be easily seen. If so has anyone found an easy way to cover up the side?

Thanks,
Adam

looks like a framed picture hanging from wall. All you will see is black valvet frame.
post #97 of 107 Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

I just ordered my Jamestown 120" 16:9 White screen. Can't wait till it gets here! Will post pictures and thoughts

Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #98 of 107 Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 AM

hi, any other realtime usage comments on this screen? I myself am thinking about purchasing it as well. thx
post #99 of 107 Old 03-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Check the Jamestown vs. Elite thread in this section a bunch of people who recently recieved them.
post #100 of 107 Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Can't beat it for the price. Kind of homemade looking from back but great looking on wall with the black
Velvet wide frame . Great screen material . I have the white 1.2 gain No hotspots can't see any grain
Wish I bought the 120 inch for $10 more. Than the 110
post #101 of 107 Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How has the experience with the 10 day lead time been? closer to day 10 or day 5 or what? I really wish by now he would have enough pre-built screens of the more frequent size and material to have instock which would help us buyers that are impatient receive it quicker. That's my only gripe for now. I also ordered the 110" and I couldn't fit the 120" on my wall with my speaker placement etc... The $10 difference seems very reasonable.
post #102 of 107 Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

I got 120" white 1.2 gain.

I got mine assembled last night and have it up. There's a big difference from my wall to this screen. Sadly I don't have any other screen to compare it to, but it's VERY nice for the price. The back is kinda cheap, but then your not looking at that. My top right corner did not line up 100%. It's about 1/16th off. No one will notice it but me. The center top piece was crooked which threw off how I had to mount it. I had to mount the bracket a 1/4" off to make the screen perfectly level once mounted. That I am sure was my fault and not Jame's. Like others said you will want to add more hangers to better secure the screen. My bottom right corner sticks out from the wall while everything else is flush.

For owners:
I went to Lowes, Target, a mirror/picture place and I could not find mounts like ones that came with the screen. Any place online, any one have a link or ideal?

I do think the top piece that connects both pieces of wood together should have been longer so not only when its up it makes it stronger, but allows you a easier way to connect 2 more mounts (brackets). If I find the mounts or some one posts a link I am not sure how I'm going to put two other pieces on when that piece obviously does not extend so far out.. I also think I am going to take the small center bar I spoke about above and replace it with one long one that runs almost the whole length of the screen so it makes adding more mounts a breeze.

Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #103 of 107 Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

...Last night while watching "From Paris With Love" I noticed about 4 or 5 white spots on the right side of the screen. I believe this might be from the Projector, perhaps dust in the lamp? I don't believe there "hot spots" that some people tend to get with screens.

Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #104 of 107 Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

How has the experience with the 10 day lead time been? closer to day 10 or day 5 or what?

I ordered my screen 3/13 and emailed James on 3/28 to get an update. I got a response within 10 minutes and was told that they are running one day behind schedule and that my screen will be completed today and set to ship on Wednesday. Great customer service.

Like many of you I like the "get it now" option but I'm willing to wait given the value of the screen. Will post pics and impressions once it arrives.
post #105 of 107 Old 04-03-2011, 06:20 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post

I got 120" white 1.2 gain.

For owners:
I went to Lowes, Target, a mirror/picture place and I could not find mounts like ones that came with the screen. Any place online, any one have a link or ideal?

Judd

I cut the one that came with it in half, and mounted them about 50" apart from center (25+ out from center either side). I had to redrill a couple of holes, but it seems very sturdy and you definitely have a better control of level that way.

It's aluminum, so just slice through it with a chop saw... should you choose to.
post #106 of 107 Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk785 View Post

I cut the one that came with it in half, and mounted them about 50" apart from center (25+ out from center either side). I had to redrill a couple of holes, but it seems very sturdy and you definitely have a better control of level that way.

It's aluminum, so just slice through it with a chop saw... should you choose to.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that piece where it mounts is what joins the two top pieces together and makes the top sturdy? Futhermore since you cut it in half I'm guessing you cut the wall mounting hardware in half as well ?

Thanks
Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #107 of 107 Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Right on right on my fellow AVSrs...you guys are great...because of this thread my very late fathers day present is being assembled...I'm hoping LT won't actually be 10 days...but it is what it is....I will post pics once it's done so I can show off my kickass theater....WOOOHOOO!!!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page