Iron Man Screening For Katy - Cancer Fighter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

Needs some advice and this seems like the best place to get it.

During a family vacation this summer in Scotland, Kathryn "Katy" Wymant, a four-year-old girl from Orangeville, fainted. She was taking to the hospital in Glasgow where they diagnosed her with having a brain tumor and high grade glioma, a form of cancer.

The article can be found on the net by looking up Katy Wymant (the forum won't let me post a link yet as I am new here).

After reading this I felt that I had to do something to help the family as the bills don't stop coming just because they have temporarily re-located to Scotland. They still have a house and car and other payments over here.

So I have organized a Screening of Iron Man on September 27th to raise money for the family. I already have permission from Paramount and I have alot of support from business in our small town. What I need is advice.

The screening will be outside in a soccer field. It will start at 8pm so that its dark enough. Future Shop has generously donated a projector and a sound system (but they think the sound system will be too small). Home Depot has also said that they will contruct the screen to view the film on. I was thinking of using a soccer net as the base for the screen and run poles or wood or something up the two posts so that we can have the screen above the net.

Universal Rental from town told me that they will supply me with whatever generators I will need for power.

The sound system is a problem. Not sure what I need. Thinking there will be somewhere between 500 to 2000 people watching. So I will need more than the sound system from Future Shop probably.

What is some advice that you can give me to make this a success? What should I make the screen out of for best viewing. How big can I make the projector go? Will it be clear? Please ... any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Welcome to the forums, chooper28.

See if you can borrow a good two-speaker PA system. A friend of mine had one that worked well for a family movie night we had a year ago. Granted, it was in a large meeting hall, but the sound would have been decent for an outdoor viewing too. I forget the specific brand, but I'm sure the stuff that they have nowadays for schools or businesses will work in a pinch.

For generators, I saw a Honda generator being used for an Arts & Crafts fair last month. Small and surprisingly very quiet. I think it was a Honda, but I may be wrong. Definitely a Japanese-made generator though.

For outdoor screens, I've seen others here use bedsheets. Just staple on a king-sized sheet to a frame (or sew four together).

Don't worry so much about A/V perfection, most of the masses won't even notice screen door effect, contrast, reference sound, etc. You could probably get away with a SVGA rez pic, LOL!

This is quite a gesture of good-will on your part - kudos and God Bless!

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 53
For outdoor screen ideas, I'd try our outdoor theater forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=159

For speakers, most music stores (guitar store etc) rent out PA speakers or try a party rental shop too. Any pair of PA/DJ speakers will work...

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help
post #5 of 7 Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

chopper,

where will this screening take place? city, state?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Google: Ontario, Illinois, Wyoming, Pennsylvania, Utah?

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

It will be taking place in the small town of Orangeville, Ontario.

Regards to the debate on PJ's or New Car ... I would go with PJ's as you will be a little cold but can cover yourself in a blanket to keep warm. And everyone likes watching a movie in their PJ's.

Home Depot is constructing the screen. The largest it can be is 24' by 14'. Which is pretty big. I think that they will probably make it out of plywood and paint it white. Any suggestions on which shade of white or anything else that might help increase the viewing quality?
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page