After testing five different screen materials... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 90 Old 09-16-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since getting my first projector earlier this year, I have experimented with five different screen materials: blackout cloth, Elite Cinegray, Elite Cinewhite, Elite Powergain, & Da-lite High Power. Following are my impressions. Note that I don't consider myself to be a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know what my eyes like to see. Further, I didn't do any actual comparison pics or technical measurements, so this is not a scientific comparison.....just some of my impressions of living with each of the fabrics for a few days/weeks.

Before the comparisons, I'll take a moment to list my setup: Epson HC720 projector with a 16' throw to the screen. Lens is 65" above the floor. Seating distance is 11.5'. Screen size is 16:9 106" diagonal.

On to the comparisons:

Blackout cloth: I first used this because it's about the simplest (it was thumb-tacked to the wall) and least expensive substrate there is. It was also bought so I could experiment with different screen sizes up to 110" 16:9 diagonal. I was surprised how good of a fabric this really is. Awesome whites & great colors. One area I felt could be improved upon were black levels. Brightness was fine as my projector's bulb was fairly new while this fabric was installed; not sure how it would have been as the bulb aged. Aesthetically, it looked rinky-dink with the lights on or in the day time...that could have been improved with some sort of frame solution, DIY or otherwise.

Elite Cinegray: After choosing a screen size (106" diagonal), I ended up getting an Elite ezFrame screen, which came with Cinegray fabric. My goal in getting that fabric was to improve black levels. This fabric did indeed improve black levels, but at the expense of nearly everything else. It made the image too dim and affected white level representation. Also, made other color representation funky. I must say that the ezFrame screen frame is really nice and having the black velvet border adds a nice touch to the image.

Elite Cinewhite: To negotiate a better deal $-wise, I bought this fabric at the same time I bought the Powergain material. I didn't know how I'd get along with a gain screen, so I figured I could always use this material and be happy thinking it would be similar to blackout cloth. It indeed was very similar to the blackout cloth, but if my memory is correct, the colors had a very slight yellow-ish cast to them. Fabric alone, I would have to say that I actually preferred the blackout cloth over the Cinewhite by a small margin.

Elite Powergain: I was impressed with the increased brightness from this 1.8 gain fabric, and the material is silver, which inherently helped with black levels. I was also pleased with white representation. There was slight hotspotting. My biggest problem with this fabric is its surface visibility (I didn't have this problem with the prior fabrics). This was especially noticeable in bright panning scenes to the point of being distracting. Finally, I can't overlook the QC ordeal I went through to get non-defective fabric. See THIS THREAD for more info.

Da-lite High Power: I bought a Model B rollup screen with the intention of removing the fabric and installing it into my Elite ezFrame like mentioned in THIS THREAD. I have not yet got around to doing that and currently have the Model B mounted on my wall. My impression: now this is what I'm talking about! The brightness is astounding even in lower power mode on my Epson HC720.....way brighter than even the Powergain material. According to the HIGH POWER CALCULATOR, I'm getting around 2.0 gain. I have to say that if that is the case, then the Powergain material is overrated as far as gain goes.....considering it was somewhere in between blackout cloth (1.1 gain) and the High Power material, I'd guess it might be closer to 1.5 gain. Back to the HP material.....I have to mention that the increased brightness of the HP really shows the quality or limitations of source material. It will make a great transfer look great. It will make bad SD look like bad SD unlike fabric close to neutral gain, like blackout cloth, which can mask bad source material to some degree.

Since the HP material is white, white levels are excellent. Hotspotting is non-existent. The surface of the screen is slightly visible in bright scenes, but nowhere near that of the Powergain material.....acceptable to me. The downside is a black level increase, but I'm willing to live with that for all of the other great aspects of this material. Note that black levels look fine in daylight scenes, or mid-bright scenes...it's mainly in near black scenes where the increase is most noticeable. But nothing is perfect. I will mention that my walls are off-white, ceiling is white, and carpet is off-white. If I were to paint my walls and/or ceiling a darker color that should help with black levels (this is planned for the future). Also, my projector is not a black level king. I'm on the lookout to upgrade to a 1080p projector with better black levels sometime in the future, which should help as well.

Summary: High Power material rocks. I was first on a quest to improve black levels, but I found that I really like the extra brightness and pop that higher gain material gives....to the point that I'm willing to sacrifice black levels. That's pretty much it. I'll leave it at that or this will turn from a comparison thread to another High Power review. Tryg and others have already done a great job with that. If you want my rating of the screen materials, here it is from most favorite to least favorite (please note that this is for my setup and I would possibly rate them differently in a different setup):

1. Da-lite High Power
2. Elite Powergain (tough to put that at #2 given the screen surface visibility, but I still like the gain increase over BOC so here it sits).
3. Blackout cloth
4. Elite Cinewhite
5. Elite Cinegray

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 09-16-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reserved.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #3 of 90 Old 09-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for your thoughts, Chad. I am planning to get a 106" dia. HighPower model B sometime in the next few weeks. I also am planning to cut out the material and build a fixed frame. Let us know how that project goes for you.

I'm actually wondering if I could just cut the material off, literally just thumb-tack it to the wall, and then place a frame over the edges. My understanding is that the hp material will hang flat anyway, so is there really any need to tension it by stretching it to fit into a frame?

My setup includes a Sharp xv-z12000mk2 mounted 14.5' back and about 63" off the floor. I'm really looking forward to the highpower. DaLite sent me a massive (6" square) swatch to test. So I'm going a little on faith in ordering something that probably can't be returned.
post #4 of 90 Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

I'm actually wondering if I could just cut the material off, literally just thumb-tack it to the wall, and then place a frame over the edges. My understanding is that the hp material will hang flat anyway, so is there really any need to tension it by stretching it to fit into a frame?

Interesting you are mentioning that. I brought up the exact idea in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1057087

I bought a 96x96 Model B High Power (the only Model B that is wide enough to work with my 106" frame). I was originally going to get a 72x96, but thought that by purchasing the taller version, I would have enough material to do a 106" 16:9 and enough material leftover to possibly later do a 2.40 screen. But I forgot that High Power fabric is seamless only up to 72" height, so I essentially wasted money by choosing the 96x96 instead of the 72x96.....oh well, it was only $25 or so extra.

One other thing of note, on the Model B "Square" versions, the given dimensions INCLUDE the outside black border. In other words, my 96x96 screen actually has approx. 93" of viewable screen width. I believe the other shapes/ARs are quoted in terms of actual viewing surface width.

Quote:

My setup includes a Sharp xv-z12000mk2 mounted 14.5' back and about 63" off the floor. I'm really looking forward to the highpower. DaLite sent me a massive (6" square) swatch to test. So I'm going a little on faith in ordering something that probably can't be returned.

Considering how inexpensive a Model B High Power costs, I see it to be a fairly low risk experiment. Actually, I would almost go as far as saying that if somebody is wanting to get a top notch fixed frame like a Cinema Contour, but they are not sure if High Power fabric is for them, then I'd almost recommend first buying a Model B as an elaborate "swatch". Then proceed with the Cinema Contour. If you don't like the Model B, I'm guessing you could probably sell it and not lose a whole lot of money.

post #5 of 90 Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 PM

Chad,

You just continue to reinforce what I've heard all along - HP rocks your socks off!

Ordered my Model B 106" 16:9 pulldown yesterday, and can't wait till it gets here. Been looking at the HP sample for literally 4 years, and finally pulled the trigger (1 projector later.) Since I'm moving quite a bit right now, I'm gonna leave it in the roller for the time being, but may want to pull it & mount it on a frame at a later date when I'm settled for awhile.

For a price that is less than the title of a certain killer movie about Sparta, delivered to my door, you literally cannot beat it. Period.

Looking forward to joining the HP fanboy gang by early next week...

- Danny
post #6 of 90 Old 09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

Interesting you are mentioning that. I brought up the exact idea in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1057087

One other thing of note, on the Model B "Square" versions, the given dimensions INCLUDE the outside black border. In other words, my 96x96 screen actually has approx. 93" of viewable screen width. I believe the other shapes/ARs are quoted in terms of actual viewing surface width.

I was thinking of buying the 92"x54" 16:9 model B, cut it off and tack it to the wall. Then I was going to use some 3" angled door casing painted with krylon textured flat black spray paint for the frame. I might think about the 3" wide velvet tape you linked. That might be easy, but I do like the beveled frame look that the door casing would give.

Are you sure the 16:9 versions of the model B are actual viewable image dimensions? I'd hate to order the 92x54 and not be able to use the entire surface.

I currently have an approx. 85x48 DIY parkland screen that has worked well for the last 4 years, but with the upgrade of my pj a few months ago, I think it deserves a larger screen and the highpower seems to be the screen of choice for many mk2 owners.
post #7 of 90 Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartnokker View Post

Chad,

You just continue to reinforce what I've heard all along - HP rocks your socks off!

Ordered my Model B 106" 16:9 pulldown yesterday, and can't wait till it gets here. Been looking at the HP sample for literally 4 years, and finally pulled the trigger (1 projector later.) Since I'm moving quite a bit right now, I'm gonna leave it in the roller for the time being, but may want to pull it & mount it on a frame at a later date when I'm settled for awhile.

For a price that is less than the title of a certain killer movie about Sparta, delivered to my door, you literally cannot beat it. Period.

Looking forward to joining the HP fanboy gang by early next week...

Congrats! That's the exact size and model I'd like to get. When it arrives, could you please confirm that the 92x54 size is the actual viewable area?

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts as well.
post #8 of 90 Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you sure the 16:9 versions of the model B are actual viewable image dimensions? I'd hate to order the 92x54 and not be able to use the entire surface.

I think so, but I'd check with Da-lite and/or your dealer to be 100% sure.

post #9 of 90 Old 09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Chad, I'm a little perplexed by some of your comments.

First, I have the Epson HC400, almost the same pj as yours. Everything else is almost the same too... viewing distance, screen size, ect...
I do have complete light control in my room, and also in my new theater (in process of buying new house). Right now, and for the last several months, I have been useing BOC w/no border for my screen. We also watch 99% of all content in low power mode with a calibration near 6500k.

Ok, it seems that the conclusion you came to was "sacrifice black levels for a high gain picture". This is what confuses me, because when my wife and I are watching in our theater, a lot of bright scenes actually seem TOO BRIGHT, to the point of hurting our eyes, and could be toned way down. The dark scenes seem too dim, looking washed out.
I would think that your experience would be similar, and if it is, WHY would you need more gain in your screen? Maybe I am not understanding exactly what gain is. Maybe you don't have the same opinion of brightness/darkness with your situation compared to mine.

You also mentioned that the "grey" material toned down the bright scenes to a point that you did not like. I have some grey material (Not sure of brand and will probably never know. It is supposed to be high quality name brand material.) stored away that I was gonna use for my new screen. I'm hoping it will do what I want, which is toning down the bright scenes while giving more definition and black levels to dark scenes, thus making the contrast between the two scenarios more realistic.

Your thought?...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #10 of 90 Old 09-17-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wish I had a light meter, but by playing around with the calculator at Projector Central, I'm guessing I'm somewhere in the 22fL range. The numbers I input are: 106" screen, 2.0 gain screen, & 16' throw. This comes out to 34fL. The "About" info box states that this is with a bulb at 75% of its life. My bulb has over 800 hours on it, so I'm estimating it is half brightness. 34fL/.75= new bulb 45fL. 45fL x 50% = 22.5 fL. That's a pretty convoluted way to calculate things, but I hope it is somewhere in the ballpark. Interesting enough, it almost matches the same brightness of a brand new bulb with a 1.1 gain screen, which is what I started with when my projector was new. Keep in mind that I'm not a person who likes excessive brightness either. My prior TV was a CRT RPTV with rather subdued contrast settings. With the low power mode of my HC720, I don't have any discomfort with the HP screen.....it looks great. With the brighter projector modes I probably would have a little too much brightness and some eye overload.

With all of that said, what is your throw distance and how many hours are on your bulb? That could be giving you quite a bit more brightness. Also, do you have white/off-white surroundings like in my setup?

Aside from those specifics, I'll just mention that like with most everything.....YMMV.....and I'll restate what I did toward the end of the first post in this thread: please note that this is for my setup and I would possibly rate the fabrics differently in a different setup.

post #11 of 90 Old 09-17-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the comments Chad.

Ya, that was one spec that is different... the throw distance could factor in more brightness for me. You are at 16' and I am at 12'. I have never "measured" the brightness/FL or anything like that. There are plenty of hours on the bulb, like 900 I think.
I have the distance setup that way, because my permenant screen will be some configuration of Cinemascope. Then I will use the zoom method to accomodate different aspect ratios... till I can afford an anamorphic lens anyway.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #12 of 90 Old 09-17-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Ya, that was one spec that is different... the throw distance could factor in more brightness for me. You are at 16' and I am at 12'.

Yeah, by playing around with the Projector Central calculator, with a 1.1 gain screen (like BOC), I would get an increase of 6fL just by reducing the throw distance from 16' to 12'. Specifically, it goes from 18fL to 24fL.

post #13 of 90 Old 09-17-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, by playing around with the Projector Central calculator, with a 1.1 gain screen (like BOC), I would get an increase of 6fL just by reducing the throw distance from 16' to 12'. Specifically, it goes from 18fL to 24fL.

I wonder how this would effect dark scenes. ...make them even more washed out? ...or keep them about the same while dimming the bright scenes at the same time? Hmmm...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #14 of 90 Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

General rule of thumb is that a closer throw gives a brighter image and a longer throw gives better contrast. Hopefully, by using a longer throw along with the High Power screen I'm getting the best of both. All I know is that the image with the High Power looks superb.

post #15 of 90 Old 09-20-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bummer I can't get it in 73x130...

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #16 of 90 Old 09-20-2008, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

General rule of thumb is that a closer throw gives a brighter image and a longer throw gives better contrast. Hopefully, by using a longer throw along with the High Power screen I'm getting the best of both. All I know is that the image with the High Power looks superb.

It's good to hear you are happy with your new setup. A lot of DIYers never really get to that point. Hopefully I will too.
I'm really glad you made this thread. With our setups so similar, even though slightly different, it helps put it into perspective.
Hopefully, that grey material I have will be sufficient for now.
Thanks Chad.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #17 of 90 Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

It's good to hear you are happy with your new setup. A lot of DIYers never really get to that point. Hopefully I will too.
I'm really glad you made this thread. With our setups so similar, even though slightly different, it helps put it into perspective.
Thanks Chad.

+1

I have my Epson HC720 at a throw of 16 1/2 feet. Chad's review has me thinking about trying out a HP screen. It also made me go back and re-read Tryg's review(s)/shootout(s).

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #18 of 90 Old 09-21-2008, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Chad:

Any comments on comparing the pulldown HP to the perfectly flat wall screens with panning scenes... any waves visible? Or does your pulldown HP not have waves?
post #19 of 90 Old 09-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Well, UPS sez I'll be getting my HP Model B 106" in two days, so I'll be giving my best impression of a competent evaluator by Thursday or Friday.

Things I'm looking to report on:

- actual viewing area

- waves in the screen surface, and their effect on viewing

- sheer gain difference (estimated/perceived) from my current BOC screen

- gain dropoff/flexibility of viewing angles

- whatever the hell else anyone wants to know about it

I'm sure that I'll be beating a dead horse in many ways, but this is such a hot item that seems almost too good to be true, so lots of people are sitting on the fence about whether or not to pull the trigger on a High Power screen. The more opinions posted, the more informed decisions can be made. Believe me, I'll tell you about all the warts I discover, as well as the beauty marks!

Till then...

- Danny
post #20 of 90 Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGeorge View Post

Chad:

Any comments on comparing the pulldown HP to the perfectly flat wall screens with panning scenes... any waves visible? Or does your pulldown HP not have waves?

In the last few days I haven't had a chance to watch anything on the HP screen , but I have noticed that my Model B has started to wave a little bit on the right side. Strange that it took a few weeks for that to happen. I've read in other threads that the HP fabric is good at making waves "disappear", but I'll check this first hand and report back when I get a chance.

BTW, as mentioned in the first post, my long-term plan is to retrofit the HP fabric into my Elite ezFrame....I just haven't had the time to get that project done. So regardless the waves aren't really a long-term problem for my setup.

post #21 of 90 Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartnokker View Post

Well, UPS sez I'll be getting my HP Model B 106" in two days, so I'll be giving my best impression of a competent evaluator by Thursday or Friday.

Things I'm looking to report on:

- actual viewing area

- waves in the screen surface, and their effect on viewing

- sheer gain difference (estimated/perceived) from my current BOC screen

- gain dropoff/flexibility of viewing angles

- whatever the hell else anyone wants to know about it

I'm sure that I'll be beating a dead horse in many ways, but this is such a hot item that seems almost too good to be true, so lots of people are sitting on the fence about whether or not to pull the trigger on a High Power screen. The more opinions posted, the more informed decisions can be made. Believe me, I'll tell you about all the warts I discover, as well as the beauty marks!

Till then...

I look forward to your thoughts. What projector do you have?

post #22 of 90 Old 09-23-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Chad.

It would be awesome if Da-lite would make a screen just like the High Power except with a gray surface. But not too gray. I really, really didn't care for what the Elite Cinegray did to the overall image.

post #23 of 90 Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:

I look forward to your thoughts. What projector do you have?

Optoma HD65, "mounted" right at eye level in between the primary viewing seats. With less than 200 hours on it, this sucker is already bright. We'll see what kind of blowtorch it turns into with the new screen tomorrow!

- Danny
post #24 of 90 Old 09-23-2008, 07:59 PM

Just for fun, I pulled up the calculator on projectorcentral.com, and dialed in my setup.

Given full power on the projector & max lumens projected, and 2.8 gain (not gonna get that unless I'm laying my head on the projector, I'm sure!), it calculated that I'll have a max potential of...

134 foot-lamberts.

Gonna be wearing my Oakleys just to watch TV!!!!!!!!!

- Danny
post #25 of 90 Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM

Okay, guys, here's how it went...

Got it home last night (wow, that sucker is awfully long, and stretched from the dashboard to the tailgate in my Durango!) and set it up.

- The actual viewing surface really is 92" by 52", as close as I could figure using a tape measure by myself. Nice black border all around. It really is 106" diagonal viewable... 4 times the size of a 53" TV. Not that I've ever seen a 53" TV, mind you.

- There were some minor waves in the screen near the sides, probably wholly due to my half-@$$ mounting job in my haste to get it up & running. The current setup is temporary, and will be more optimal in my next abode - hopefully in the next few months. The waves made absolutely zero difference in the picture, and I did not notice them whatsoever on the projected image. This included ESPN Sportscenter, with lots of panning, and some HD nature stuff. I repeat, zero impact on the picture, and I have noticed waves on other screen surfaces in the past & their noticable effect on the image. Not on this one.

- The gain difference... well, it was pretty damned noticable. I have my Optoma HD65 set to 50% on contrast & brightness, with video gamma setting, and for the life of me, the picture looks like my 50" plasma used to, but a lot bigger. Much punchier than the blackout cloth screen, better perceived contrast, the blacks look dark, the brights are freakin' bright.

Quick story: I was thinking, "hey, it looks pretty bright, I guess..." when all of a sudden, the new Apple iPod Nano commercial comes on. For those of you who haven't seen it, it starts off suddenly with a bright white screen. It was like being slapped in the face; it was so bright, my eyes felt actual pain - just like being the first out the door of a dark movie theater & walking into bright, direct sunlight. Holy frickin' cow, this thing can seriously do bright! Not blown out whites, just seriously intense. Like I said, quite plasma-like brightness & punch.

- Okay, here's my observation on the viewing cone. Inside the cone, close to the projector, this thing is incredibly intense. Uniform brightness perceived from side to side. As you move your seating position towards the edge of the screen, the brightness drops somewhat, but no matter where you are, it stays uniform across the screen, so it looks perfectly normal. I stood about 10 feet to the side of the screen, at about a 45-degree angle to the edge of the screen, and it wasn't as bright as inside the cone. But, and a huge but, it was still as bright & watchable as my 1.0 gain blackout cloth screen had been from the same angle.

Did everyone get that? Yes, there is a viewing cone within which you will get the brightest, punchiest projected image you can imagine. I do not exaggerate when I compare it to a good plasma. Outside the cone, it'll still be as good as a matte white screen, so there really is no bad angle to watch from. Just make sure that when you have a crowd over, you get to stay in the sweet spot!

The off-axis light rejection was damned impressive. I have a dome light fixture ( 2 x 60w) centered about 1 foot in front of the screen on the ceiling, and the screen sits about 3 inches from the ceiling. While it washed out a bit compared to pitch darkness, the image was totally watchable with that light, and others in the room, blazing away.

Today, I watched some TV before moseying my way into work, with the blinds in my living room letting the sun in at about a 45-degree angle to the screen, and the contrast & punch were dramatically better than they had been with my old matte white screen. I can comfortably watch this with sunlight, light fixtures, whatever lights I want going.

One spooky feature: Walking past my living room later at night, with a hallway light on nearby, the screen reflected back a greenish glow, like a glow-in-the-dark toy. Freaky! Haunted projection screen!

Anyway, I'm here to tell you, the hype is true, and it really is as good as people say. Once again, not perfect, but my setup (projector mounted at eye level) is dynamite for this screen. If you are thinking about it, take the jump & do it with confidence.

- Danny
post #26 of 90 Old 09-25-2008, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear it is working out for you! HP fabric is definitely awesome. I can say that I'd personally probably want to use an ND filter in your setup.

Regarding mounting a Model B, I just bought a pack of drywall auger anchors from Wal-Mart, then used a couple heavy duty screws I had laying around. I had everything measured and the screen mounted and ready to go within a half an hour. I used the augers as a temporary mount, but can say that they would be fine for long-term use as well.

Do you notice the HP's screen surface at all in bright, panning scenes?

post #27 of 90 Old 09-25-2008, 07:31 PM

Chad,

In bright scenes on white or light yellow images, I do actually see the texture of the screen a bit, if I'm looking for it. Not a distraction at all, though; very subtle, and I don't notice at all if I'm not looking.

To tell you the ugly truth about my current setup, I don't have the wall space or throw distance to use the whole screen right now. I have the cylinder sitting on the brick fireplace mantle, and the screen is pulled up from the bottom & secured with one nail into the drywall at the top, which I've hooked the pull-handle over. Ugly, and only shooting an 86" diagonal image right now, but I'll be hanging it properly and shooting the full 106" by the end of the year, I'm hoping. At 86" though, it is impressively bright.

- Danny
post #28 of 90 Old 09-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

I finally ordered my 96x72 highpower yesterday. I will be cutting out the material and making my own frame. Probably a 92x52, but it may end up larger. I'll be experimenting with it when it arrives.

Thanks to everyone that posts here. It probably won't be here until the second week of Oct.. I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.
post #29 of 90 Old 09-29-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I finally ordered my 96x72 highpower yesterday. I will be cutting out the material and making my own frame. Probably a 92x52, but it may end up larger. I'll be experimenting with it when it arrives.

Thanks to everyone that posts here. It probably won't be here until the second week of Oct.. I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.

Cool! Look forward to your thoughts.

BTW, the 96 dimension on the square Model B screen is around 93" of viewable screen surface. A 106" diagonal 16:9 screen specs at 92.4" x 52", so that's about the biggest you're gonna be able to go.

post #30 of 90 Old 09-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cool! Look forward to your thoughts.

BTW, the 96 dimension on the square Model B screen is around 93" of viewable screen surface. A 106" diagonal 16:9 screen specs at 92.4" x 52", so that's about the biggest you're gonna be able to go.

I thought you had purchased the 96x96 "square" model. The 96x72 is listed as "video" format. Hopefully that will be the viewable dimensions so I can squeeze a few more inches out of it. Either way, it was still less expensive to buy the 96x72 than the 92x52 HD16:9 format. I guess they think that HD format is so special, they charge more for less material.
Reply Screens