How bright is too bright ? 50ftlambs=CRT TV ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-2002, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings, its good to see some definate designs for Torus screens have come up (thnx don). So the question is, how many foot lamberts is too much ?

If all goes to plan Ill have a XG135 in the next few weeks, and if I ran that with a 80" 2.8 gain torus screen I get 35.39 foot lamberts. If I go with a 4 gain silver torus screen, we hit a sunny 50.55 foot lamberts.

From the XtremeDTV webpage;

Quote:
The 4.0 gain PLATINUM is SUPER BRIGHT and is ideal for high ambient light situations. Very mild color shift can be noticed on it only when using a white field, otherwise, it is phenomenally 3D-like with a dramatic PUNCH to it.
Given that the torus screen deals with the color shift and hotspotting of silver screens, is there any reason not to use a silver screen ? (CINEMAX, you have installed these havn't you ?)

Now Im thinking, that if I have a screen that bright, that it might not be such a panic if a bit of light enters the room ? Will this give me the image quality comparable to my 32" WS TV ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-12-2002, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also, with something that bright, I would think the XG135 could be run at low brightness levels and give the tubes an easy time. Would this drastically improve the spot size ? If people are getting 960 lines out of there 135's under normal circumstances, would this go up much if driven really easily ?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2002, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Most TV's are somewhere 20's on the ft-L.

I would personally aim for the 30's. 50's might be a little high but I wouldn't use a 4.0 gain screen if at all possible.

Also, you projector can typically do better than its ANSI spec for brightness for most video material. A good ball park number for the actual brightness you'll get would be 200% of your ANSI for heavy use or 150% of your ANSI rating if plan to use it more for the long term.

So a 200 lumen projector can easilly do 300 lumens for really long term use or 400 lumens for shorter life span. These ratings are for video material to be used as a guide in making your decision.

Good luck.

-Mr. Wigggles

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2002, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
MrWiggles ,
Wouldn't pushing a projector speced for say 200 ANSI to 300-400 ANSI also result in blooming in addition to reduced tube life?
Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page