Stewart Sudiotek 130/Ultamatte 150 ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2002, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, I thought I knew what I wanted but then the test samples came in. When I swithed from LCD to CRT I took down my original screen because it was filthy (little kid's peanut butter laden fingerprints) and too high a gain. While I was going through the learning curve of CRT I decided to go the route of DIY screen which served me well. Now I've decided that I'd like a commercial screen and was leaning in the direction of the Stewart Studiotek 130. I sent an E-mail to Stewart to ask them where I may accuire a test piece of the Sudiotek and Ultramatte material to help me decide. I included my address in the request. I got no reply by E-mail but within a couple of days a large envelope showed up with the test pieces I requested. Wow, that's service. I taped the two test pieces side by side in the middle of my DIY screen for comparison. The only problem now is I can't make up my mind. The Studiotek 130 gives a very smooth picture with about as much an increase in gain as I expected over my bright white painted screen but seemed to add a little blue to the image. The Ultramatte 150 provided the additional brightness I was looking for but was a little grainy and from certain angles had a bit of a shine. It is hard to tell if this was a hot spot due to the small size of the test piece. The reflected color is beautifull. There was also a stray sparkle in the test piece. Can anyone confirm what I've seen here. BTW the additional blue in the Studiotek was not a lot but was obvious in a side by side comparison. I doubt if I would have noticed it otherwise. Both materials provided much better dark/black detail and detail in general over the DIY screen. Help me make up my mind please.
Thank's

Chip S.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2002, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Chip, I know you already read my post concerning KBK's screen goo, so rather than post more there, let me see if I can help with your decision. First of all, the samples are very small and it is difficult to compare them in any kind of meaningful way, but you can obtain more accurate results by moving the samples into different positions on your screen surface. Assuming that all your observations are made from directly centered in front of the screen (zero degrees), try moving the samples to different places on the screen surface, as the reflective properties change, sometimes drastically, from point to point. I like to start out with the 2 samples side by side in the center of the screen, both vertically and horizontally, and then take the 2 pieces and exchange them and see if the comparison changes with the swap. Then try one piece at the top center, and the other piece at the bottom center, compare, and swap again. Do the same on the left and right sides, and as many different points on the screen as you have the patience to compare. Make sure to take notes as you go along, as you might think that it will be easy to remember, but you will probably soon find yourself confused (or at least I was....hehe). If you read Iceman's excellent post comparing different gain flat screens, you will understand why this is necessary. After a lot of comparing, I think you will "see the light" (pun intended) and will find it easier to make your decision. I hope this helps :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2002, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had hoped that someone would have commented on the slight blue tint that I see in the 130 in a side by side with the 150 on a DIY bright white screen. the DIY and the 150 screen looks white when it should, but the 130 has a slight blueness to it.

Chip S.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-24-2002, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any decision yet??
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page