SuperWonderLite and GrayHawk: a comparison - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2002, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a Luxus Deluxe 80"x45" GrayHawk since almost a year and I just found a PictureKing (Da-Lite tripod) 60"x60" with the SuperWonderLite fabric. I wanted this high gain silver screen (1.8 or 2.5?) since months only to compare it with the GrayHawk.

The Stewart screen costed a bit less than $1200 delivred by DHL overseas and the Da-Lite costed 151.71 €uros exactly (container boat shipping, taxes, local distributor margin and 21% VAT included). Just as a note, the frame of the picture king tripod is robust and well made. It looks like a quality product. But it's ugly for HT purpose.

I will begin with the conclusion: the SuperWonderLite has a excellent potential for HT if Da-Lite wanted to market it by making it larger than the limited 70" and making a frame to correctly tension it for HT use, a frame like the Da-Snap or PermWall.

I put the SuperWonderLite in front the GrayHawk to have half picture on each screen from a Sony 10HT. I made the test with Pearl Harbor PAL DVD. While the differences between the two screens are more than subtle, they are surprisingly weak. The most obvious is that the Da-Lite fabric delivers a brighter image. With picture mute, the "blacks" appeared to be almost the same in axis, but brighter with Da-Lite off axis (strange?). Globally, the image looked a bit more constrated and more deep than on the GrayHawk, with lights either on or off. Despite its higher gain, I couldn't see any obvious hot spot. Also surprisingly, there was no apparent loss of brightness off axis, the Da-Lite was still brighter than the Stewart.
Now the best: the SuperWonderLite is textured with thin vertical lines so I locked if there was no moiré or undesirable effects. Not only I couldn't see anything like that but the screen door effect of the LCD projector was completely hidden! I tried displaying the image with different sizes, the smallest being to fit the 1366 pixels in the 60" wide screen; that gives a pixel size of about 0.11cm (60"=~150cm 150/1366=~0.11cm).
Finally the worst: the SuperWonderLite isn't tensionned with the Picture King frame; there were wrinkles, folds, waves. That's the definitive reason why it can't be used as is for HT.

I'm impatient to see the FireHawk now ;)

Carlos