Screen Size - Opinion please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-23-2002, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am in the planning stage of a HT. I have about 72" width to work with. I will probably use a rear projection, with something like an LS110. I have two options, please let me know pro's and cons of either. I'll be watching the variety of DVD formats, and many 4:3 VHS tapes, and maybe some Dish.

Option 1: 16:9 Design, a 40.5" x 72" opening in the wall. This will yield an 82.5" diag. 16:9 picture, a 38.9"x72" 1.85 picture, a 30.6"x72" 2.35 picture, and a 40.5"x54" 4:3 picture (67.5" diag.). Mask on sides for the 4:3 picture (or stretch), mask top and bottom for others.

Option 2: 4:3 Design, a 54" x 72" opening in the wall. This will yield a 90" diag. 4:3 picture, and the other size widescreens above. Masking top and bottom only.

I'm not even sure if masking is that important on rear projection. Projector will sit at approx. 10' and has zoom to take care of screen fill. Viewing 10'-12' away. I think the 16:9 design "looks" more like a HT, but the 4:3 design gives a 33% larger 4:3 image. Is 90" too big? Will I have better brightness if I choose opion #1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-24-2002, 02:26 PM

Liked: 10
VHS?!

You are going to be sorely disappointed if you take the time to hook up a VHS to a PJ. DirecTV gets screen door on my Infocus LP335 DLP PJ at around 90" and it has 425 rez. VHS is barely half that resolution.

As for the screen size, aspect ratio and such; sound like 4:3 is still the way to go, but be aware that masking for 16:9 will really improve your DVD's alot so factor that in, or realize you will notice the blacks seem washed out.

Cappy!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-24-2002, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks, Cappy. I didn't realize VHS is that bad. I guess my best bet for recorded movies is use my Dish 501 PVR, and/or rent the DVD.

VHS looks as good as Dish digital programming on my 32" Magnavox TV... you'd think a digital projector would be "smart" enogh to turn VHS into something watchable...

I was actually leaning towards the 16x9 screen and masking the sides for 4:3. A 54" tall image just seems like it would be too huge from 10' away. The widescreen would look more like a HT.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-25-2002, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 166
mask the 4:3. Go with widescreen. Format of the future (and present).

JEff

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page